Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Dec 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #286 of 756
Funny, maybe it isn't 'bad' just tuned differently because I find it to sound better than the LG G3, which to me is tinny, harsh, and sibilant, yet I'm told I'm wrong by the G3 users :)

...goes to prove I suppose that you cannot please all the folk all the time :)

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #287 of 756

So you're saying "even then the exynos version (wolfson dac) will still out preform it" is false? so you have heard both? and yes i have compared them, but both not rooted.

and 

Note 4 headphone out sounds better than the odac/o2 combo on the same headphones? otherwise that just says you prefer note4 flavoured es10 over the alpha dogs since o2 is pretty much neutral.

Fair questions.  I have not heard the exynos version.  My disagreement was/is with your blanket statement that you "need v4a for it to sound decent" with a snapdragon note 4, since that has not been my experience.  Would you mind sharing the model and carrier of the snapdragon unit that you compared to your exynos?  In addition to differing hardware, different carriers use different kernels...    

As indicated, my T-mobile variant, N910T, sounds much better to me than my former Verizon note 2, and there is at least one other T-mobile customer who has commented that the N910T sounds very good after T-mobile's initial software update.  Any other N910T owners care to chime in?  

Regarding my es10's, I haven't done any formal A/B tests with my odac and self built o2 (which I also upgraded with my first smd project, agdr's booster circuit, http://www.agdraudio.com/Page2.html and a dual lme49990, for, among other benefits, a much higher slew rate and thus much lower TIM).  I enjoy my odac/o2 quite well as a bedside rig and, when relaxing at the end of the day, have usually been inclined to plug my note 2 or ipad4 in via usb otg for the improved sound quality (with both es10's and alphas).  My surprise with the note 4, es10 combo is that I have not felt like it was worth the bother.  I don't doubt my o2 wins on the measurements.  I hope to find time to do some critical listening over the weekend to determine whether I ultimately enjoy the sonics more with or without the external dac and amp.  

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #288 of 756

Fair questions.  I have not heard the exynos version.  My disagreement was/is with your blanket statement that you "need v4a for it to sound decent" with a snapdragon note 4, since that has not been my experience.  Would you mind sharing the model and carrier of the snapdragon unit that you compared to your exynos?  In addition to differing hardware, different carriers use different kernels...    

As indicated, my T-mobile variant, N910T, sounds much better to me than my former Verizon note 2, and there is at least one other T-mobile customer who has commented that the N910T sounds very good after T-mobile's initial software update.  Any other N910T owners care to chime in?  

Regarding my es10's, I haven't done any formal A/B tests with my odac and self built o2 (which I also upgraded with my first smd project, agdr's booster circuit, http://www.agdraudio.com/Page2.html and a dual lme49990, for, among other benefits, a much higher slew rate and thus much lower TIM).  I enjoy my odac/o2 quite well as a bedside rig and, when relaxing at the end of the day, have usually been inclined to plug my note 2 or ipad4 in via usb otg for the improved sound quality (with both es10's and alphas).  My surprise with the note 4, es10 combo is that I have not felt like it was worth the bother.  I don't doubt my o2 wins on the measurements.  I hope to find time to do some critical listening over the weekend to determine whether I ultimately enjoy the sonics more with or without the external dac and amp.  

From my A/B the note 4 sounds rather similar to the note 3 and s4 unrooted, they both sound better with v4a, gets rid of some of the warm (veil) sound, leading to more details using the 'expert' mode and selecting your headphones. A/B especially with low impedance should show significant difference.

There seems like the other person I qouted in this post has the opposite opinion in regards to note 2 vs note 4, although I have a feeling it may be between using headphones vs iems, or you have the later snapdragon version note 2.

As far as I know the note 2 originally came with the exynos processor with the wolfson dac, hence the note 2 sounding better is not a suprise. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #289 of 756
Don't know what Samsung is thinking... 
mad.gif

It's telling that the US version uses the DAC built into the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, while the Euro version sports an external Wolfson DAC. Americans simply don't care about SQ and, hence, neither does Samsung. SQ is not even an afterthought, so it is what it is when Samsung is finished with everything else in the package.

I really *do* love my Note 5; but, as I mentioned above, I've "outsourced" its sound functions. For portable use, I am now in the market for a portable DAC/amp... 
L3000.gif

EDIT: whoops... I meant Note FOUR, not 5... wishful thinking, I guess.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #291 of 756
  What u talking about bro.euro note4 has snapdragon.only places like Brazil. India. mexico.china etc has wolfson.us English get snapdragon along with USA. 

China sells the snapdragon version, India is suppose to sell the SM-N910G, which is also the snapdragon version. While Turkey gets the exynos version.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #292 of 756
  What u talking about bro.euro note4 has snapdragon.only places like Brazil. India. mexico.china etc has wolfson.us English get snapdragon along with USA. 

All depends, im from the uk and have the 910C Exynos
tongue.gif

Installed sweet rom as i badly wanted viper, and it's made hell of an improvement, now i can really enjoy this device.

Still can't get viper to play with km player, but i'll find a way perhaps use the sabre dac to force it.

Edit - Sorted it, it does work well but viper picks it up as a speaker, so i lose some functionality but it works very well so im happy.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #293 of 756
Huxley your note 4 Ain't the uk version.u may have an exenox version but it sure ain't an English model lol.as it's not in the UK. Unless u buy online and it's imported.i get all my phones on contract so I only get uk phones

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #294 of 756
  Huxley your note 4 Ain't the uk version.u may have an exenox version but it sure ain't an English model lol.as it's not in the UK. Unless u buy online and it's imported.i get all my phones on contract so I only get uk phones

Technically it is, as it's for the eu market so comes with the same warranty and it's compatible with the same bands.

You are right in that only uk carriers stock the snapdragon, but i went for the superior exynos edition.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-note-4-32gb-frost-white-sm-n910c.html

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #295 of 756
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_4-6434.php

The ones with suffix C,H,U and korean versions have the exynos processor, a lot of regions that have the exynos processor also has a single/dual sim snapdragon version.

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #296 of 756
Noticed something today - had the Hugo on charge, so took out my Note 4 and TF10, first track played great, then the next one, the first note sounded fine, but - then the tone went all tinny and nasty, same for the next track, but then all was fine with the next one...

As such, I'm wondering if those experiencing a nasty tone are using low impedance 'phones that could be forcing the phone into low power usage mode or suchlike...

Never had any such issue with the IE800...

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #297 of 756
My listening thus far has my Verizon Note 4 sounding quite a bit better than my Verizon Note 2, regardless of ROM/kernel/audio setting on the latter, using JH13's.  It's a much cleaner sound overall, without all that background hiss!  And FYI the Headamp Pico DAC and DAC/Amp do work splendidly via OTG cable.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #299 of 756
Happy to report that the E18 works seamlessly in DAC mode with the Galaxy Note 4 (international).

This is AWESOME news, this + 128gb card is going to be excellent for long flights and train travel.

Also, it will be great for use with Spotify. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #300 of 756
All, I am currently living in Mid East and managed to grab a Note 4 Exynos ver. This version comes with Wolfson DAC according to few reviews and that was the main reason I got it.  I already own iBasso dx50 as the main music player for my travel and exercise together with a simple/rugged but loyal SH HD419 OE, JBL J33 IE and a Bose QC3 (mostly travel).  I tried all with N4 as well.

My initial impression with N4 was "wow"! comparing iBasso.  iBasso was very neutral, polite and clean.  Note 4 raised everything few notches up esp the low end is very sweet sounding. I can not complain and I like both now.  But the issue was the volume level is very low in N4.  I wish it had 30-40%  more volume. and a little brighter sound will make this a perfect dap.

I bought a 32GB microsd and trying to dump all my music.  I am planning to move to N4 full time from iBasso so that i carry just one piece.  Trying to get 128gb microSD soon.

Need some advice!
What is the best way to achieve a bit more volume with N4. Suggestions welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back