Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Oct 28, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #136 of 756
i can't believe how quiet it is,if i put my nokia 808 pv on volume level 2.i need to put my uk note 4 on level 10 lol to volume match my nokia.using jvc fx3x.will viper4android raise volume without adding distortion

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #137 of 756
ok neauton fixed my low volume.i put my note volume on full.and am controlling the gain using the pre amp.it doubles the note 4 volume,without distortion like i was expecting .now i have the pre amp low lol.and note volume high.as is so loud if you do this.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #138 of 756
Why are you using UAPP with note 4? Even neutron is better sounding

To my ears on my setup (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 > Objective DAC > SoundLab Neco V3 amp > MrSpeakers Alpha Dog headphones), UAPP is the best sounding music player for the time being. And I am not alone.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/638387/best-android-music-player-app/240#post_10120655

There is at least one technical reason: USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) doesn't perform resampling.
Usual music players, like Neutron or Poweramp, have to interface with the Android media player framework which currently performs 44.1kHz-to-48kHz resampling (i.e. only outputs 48kHz PCM streams to USB DAC).
UAPP doesn't have to interface with the Android media player framework for streaming audio via USB: it includes its own USB audio soft driver.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5550#post_10974215

I have yet to test out the Note 4 with my HRT Music Streamer 2 as well as 2+.
All the Note 3, S5, and S4 smartphones I have tested output 48khz sampling rates. This is why I use the Note 2 for my audio system with HRT DAC because it outputs 44.1khz, which matches my predominantly 44.1khz music collection. Unfortunately, the Android 4.3 update in the Note 2 broke the compatibility with the HRT DACs (it fixed the Fiio E17 though), so I reverted back to Android 4.1.2.
The developer of BubbleUPnP confirmed that as long as the Android Media volume is maxed, then Bubble and apps that don't use DSP will pass bits the DAC losslessly.
For this reason, I have still been on older devices that sample at 44.1khz.
I am curious to see how Android 5 handles USB Audio.
I have been enjoying the sampling rate indictator on the HRT DACs because it reveals that many smartphones are resampling.
I would use UAPP more often, but BubblUPnP is my favorite player by far due to the functionality (can read /storage/UsbDriveA folder and plays every format I've thrown at it). I also use Google's All Access @320kbps and it's nice to not reduce the SQ further by resampling.
If the Note 4 doesn't output at 44.1khz natively, maybe the Nexus 6 will!

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #139 of 756
  I have it. I haven't played any thing one since I have the AK240.

Just my 128GB from my AK240 in my note 4. 

Setup:powerAmp Full (software) > note 4 > Weston 4r.
Test 1: Adele - Lovesong 96/24.
Test 2: Bob Marley - 3 little birds 24/192

Ive noticed a slight improvement over the note 3. The output Seem to be a lot higher than the Note 3. I listen to both songs at about 20% of the total volume and it was more than enough.

Can you explain how that is an improvement though?  If I listen to my Note 3 at 100% volume I'd blow an ear drum.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #140 of 756
Just picked up the Exynos version of this phone (N910U) and my first impression is that the sound output from the headphone jack is mediocre at best. So far I have tested my IEMs (RHA-MA750i), DT1350s, and HD598s. All three seem to be plagued by low output and flat lifeless sound when compared to the output from my iPhone 5s. I was really hoping the Wolfson DAC in this model would perform better.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #144 of 756
As far as I can tell the 'news' about the European nations having both versions were not accurate, most of the articles were written in June.

http://www.galaxynote4manual.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-model-numbers-explained-region/

From the list it looks like the Exynos version is only released in Asia-Pacific and Chile at the moment, so the model you were looking at is likely a parallel import from the Asia region.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #145 of 756
Thanks Danba for the previous post on music players. Does anyone know what DAC is in the snapdragon?

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #147 of 756
Sources :
Ibasso DX90 via coax
Samsung S4 running USB Audio Player Pro via usb

Amp / Dac :
Chord Hugo

Headphone :
Audeze LCD 2.2

Test Tracks (both on DSD) :
1. Alison Krauss - Baby, Now that I Found You
2. Clair Marlo - All For the Feeling

results :

DX90 had more body and presence on the mids, vocals were a bit more forward sounding than the Samsung S4.

S4 had more detail and extensions on the highs, vocals had more airy feel to them. Background vocals were more pronounced. It also has a better depth.

Sub / Lower mids on both sources were dead even to me...controlled and precise with body and weight to them

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #148 of 756
i have the Exynos version (N910C) by the way...the Hugo turns white using UAPP indicating DSD playback. If I use the DX90 as source with the Hugo with the same DSD file the Hugo turns yellow which indicates downsampling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back