Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Oct 30, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #151 of 756
none that i know off...all my dsd / dsf files are SACD rips..i got 40+ albums from a friend

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #152 of 756
Just tested the Note 4 USB Audio in store!
Compare to the other phones I have tested. VZW Note 4 tested with Charger Doctor and an HRT Musicstreamer 2.

USB OTG output current:
Note4 - 600mA
Motorola Turbo - 900mA
Note 3 - 900mA
Note 2 - 500mA
GS4 - 500mA
HTC One m7 - 300mA
HTC One m8 - 500mA (as I recall)

Native sampling rate:
Note4 - 48khz
Motorola Turbo - 44.1khz
Note 3 - 48khz
Note 2 - 44.1khz
GS4 - 48khz
HTC One m7 - 44.1khz
HTC One m8 - 44.1khz

Note 4 seamlessly (music pauses when disconnecting DACs) was able to switch between FiiO E17 and HRT Musicstreamer 2 and the built-in phone speaker.

Note 4 also changes sampling rate to 96k when playing 24/96 tracks with Google Play Music as well as the built-in playback of ES File Explorer.

Too bad the output current is less than the Note 3. It is strange that the Droid turbo has 900mA of output current and has no USB 3.0 capabilities. The Note 3 and Note 4 both switch to 96khz with select music playback programs. Unfortunately, they both natively sample at 48 kHz so 44.1khz gets upsampled to 48khz. The GS4 and Note 3 also output at 48khz natively.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #156 of 756
Must say I managed to get PYT .dsf from Thriller and listening on my B&W P7 the sound is actually amazing me. This note 4 certainly cuts the mustard.
After an extended hiatus due to work and other commitments, I decided to buy the Note 4 (Qualcomm version) yesterday to replace the LG G3 that I have become disillusioned with...

Thank the lord I did, the Note 4 is a revelation in comparison, so much better in pretty much all departments - would (at time of writing) be quite happy taking the Note out nude (without Hugo), sounds very natural to me (less bass heavy and more cohesive than the Nokia Lumia 930 that has been my none phablet phone of choice)...

Funny that I was trying to get away from Samsung, and here I am back with them...

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #158 of 756
After an extended hiatus due to work and other commitments, I decided to buy the Note 4 (Qualcomm version) yesterday to replace the LG G3 that I have become disillusioned with...

Thank the lord I did, the Note 4 is a revelation in comparison, so much better in pretty much all departments - would (at time of writing) be quite happy taking the Note out nude (without Hugo), sounds very natural to me (less bass heavy and more cohesive than the Nokia Lumia 930 that has been my none phablet phone of choice)...

Funny that I was trying to get away from Samsung, and here I am back with them...

What app you using to listen to music?

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #160 of 756
What app you using to listen to music?
Poweramp...

To be fair, it may turn out when the [Qualcomm] Note 4 becomes more commonplace that people move away from the headphone out, however - for me right now, it is such a pleasure after using the LG G3 (treble happy / very sharp sounding), that I'm more than happy to listen to it as-is...

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #161 of 756
Poweramp...

To be fair, it may turn out when the [Qualcomm] Note 4 becomes more commonplace that people move away from the headphone out, however - for me right now, it is such a pleasure after using the LG G3 (treble happy / very sharp sounding), that I'm more than happy to listen to it as-is...

You think it sounds good with poweramp? Try neutron and see what you think? Tbh no released app gets the full potential out of the Note 4 yet.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #165 of 756
  I'm assuming no one has measured the output impedance of either device just yet? 

My method yeilded an output impedance of ~0.67ohms out, though it wasn't perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back