Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Nov 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #167 of 756
The standard US version, whatever that is, lol. Snapdragon? Someone teach me!

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #168 of 756
You think it sounds good with poweramp? Try neutron and see what you think? Tbh no released app gets the full potential out of the Note 4 yet.
Phil...

You misunderstand me - I've had more android phones / apps than you can shake a stick at, and - when i'm fully back in head-fi mode, I'll be using UAPP and Hugo, I'm just saying that the headphone out of the Note 4 is a complete revelation when compared to the LG G3 which I have been using (alongside Nokia Lumia 930, which to be fair isn't so bad) which sounds thin, harsh, and bright...

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #169 of 756
I agree with you the quality of note 4 is very good. Sorry all I was saying is I'm not sure that poweramp is that good and gets the best from the phone. UAPP is good but needs external DAC to sound any good. Be good to have an app that sounds excellent through headphone output.

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #170 of 756
This is pretty interesting. I've been a fan of the Galaxy series for a while now, I had the GS1, GS2 and the GS4. The 2 and 4 both suffer from output impedances that are not ideal for IEMs, where as the GS1 was (is) very low, and perfect for high sensitivity IEMs.

Keeping in mind that the Exynos and the Snapdragon variants of the Galaxy Note 4 have different DACs, I wonder if they will both have low output impedances? That would be absolutely ideal.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #171 of 756
White Lotus Don't even go there - I've had the S2, S3, S4, S4 mini (not that that is relevant), and ALL Qualcomm versions of the Note (1 thru 4)... - and that is just from one manufacturer, let alone Sony, HTC, Apple, LG, Nokia...

I really wish that a company would just make a do all and be all device (without bringing out a better variant six months later) that would stop this incessant upgraditus! :frowning2:

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #172 of 756
Stoked :)

Just managed to get a black s-view case :)

Only seen pink, oyster pink, and baby blue before today...

I know it doesn't affect the sound, but still happy :)

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #175 of 756
Seriously contemplating a US note 4. Has anyone tried theirs with highly sensitive iems like westone 4s? Still waiting for an android phone where you hear no hiss, without the need for an impedance adapter.

Love my rooted, rom'd note 2 with Nova launcher. Headphone jack hiss, which is nonexistent on Apple devices is its one major failing. Did they fix this with the note 4?

Still tempted by a nexus 6 because I loath the faux leather look. But I guess that's what cases are for, and the feature set on the note is just awesome.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #177 of 756
Seriously contemplating a US note 4. Has anyone tried theirs with highly sensitive iems like westone 4s? Still waiting for an android phone where you hear no hiss, without the need for an impedance adapter.

Love my rooted, rom'd note 2 with Nova launcher. Headphone jack hiss, which is nonexistent on Apple devices is its one major failing. Did they fix this with the note 4?

Still tempted by a nexus 6 because I loath the faux leather look. But I guess that's what cases are for, and the feature set on the note is just awesome.

Right on the mark with this post.  For some reason, only Apple seems to have figured out how to control noise floors.  And yes, that faux leather is every bit as hideous as Touchwiz.  Thankfully, the back cover is removable, so there will be third party replacements.  And stable Cyanogenmod builds can't be far off.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #178 of 756
  Right on the mark with this post.  For some reason, only Apple seems to have figured out how to control noise floors.  And yes, that faux leather is every bit as hideous as Touchwiz.  Thankfully, the back cover is removable, so there will be third party replacements.  And stable Cyanogenmod builds can't be far off.

Wasn't a big fan of TW myself having used N1/2 and S3 but it's a lot nicer now lol

Can't see myself bothering with CM anytime soon, not until 5.0 comes out at least. Only had it for 2 days, sound is pretty good. Other than not being as loud as the M8 it sounds clean and subjectively, sounds more spacious and open on my UE900s

Quite impressed with it atm coming from an m8

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #180 of 756
Just replaced my Note 3 SD w/ Note 4 Exyons.

Note 4 Exyons w/ Headphones (ATH-ESW11) sounds a lot better then Note 3 (-less harsh & more resolving) & also better then Note 2 (-more resolving).

Also tested Note 4 SD, but in less-then-idle environment - it seems like the Note 4 SD, sounds like Note 3 SD. but i'm not sure.

Note 4 Exyons speaker, is also less harsh then Note 3 SD, but still far from perfect.

In one word: Wolfson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back