Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Apr 12, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #571 of 726
Good to hear this since I will receive my HUGO next week.

Can you tell me how you worked around the internal Note3's capacity that cause me problem with all those BIG high-res files: I have +200 Gb of music ! 

[COLOR=FF0000]--> is there a way to access files stored on a portable WiFi HD ?[/COLOR]   Like iDevices can play their files stored on a  Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB hard drive ?

thanks again for you help.  

PS: on the Note3 (or other Android phones), [COLOR=FF0000]is it possible to use PHYSICAL butons to     "pause"   or   ">SHIP to next track"    music tracks ?[/COLOR]

What kind of DAC/amp is that?

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #573 of 726
Hello everyone! I'm looking into getting the Samsung Galaxy Note III, but I have a few questions. I've read through a few pages on here, but I was unable to find an answer.

I'm very interested in what the S-Pen brings to the table, and it is perhaps the biggest reason that I'm looking into this phone. I always carry around a pencil and paper, as I produce quite a lot of concept art, and being able to do that on my phone would be a blessing. If this were the only part of the equation, then I would not have a need to come to this forum and I would purchase the phone right away, but sadly it isn't. Since the release of the original Galaxy S Captivate, I've been using that as my primary portable audio source. Over time, I've installed the Voodoo sound enhancements, and I've also semi-permanently velcro'd the FiiO E11 onto the back, and even though my primary phone has changed (currently using a Blackberry 9900), the Galaxy S has remained my portable source.

Well, yesterday, my Galaxy S died. The battery is fine, but the device itself no longer functions. This was completely unexpected, as I've been using this device nearly everyday for the past 4 years, and it showed no signs of slowing down. As much as I love the S-Pen features of the Note III, I'm concerned regarding the audio quality that it produces. From what I've gathered, the Exynos version features a Wolfson DAC (the Captivate features this as well), so I'd feel confident its audio capabilities, although I'm not sure if there are Voodoo-type enhancements available. I do not have access to this device, however, and the only one I can purchase is the AT&T version (Snapdragon 800 version). I see people complaining about the volume output, but I'd like to know the quality, as volume in a non-issue for me. Considering I'll be using it at line-level and feeding it into my FiiO E11, the quality of the output is my only concern.

Looking at the GSMArena graphs shows that the non-headphone output is very good, but I'm not 100% sure if that applies to my situation, as I do not know if the E11 puts a load similar to a headphone, I am not sure which set of the data is applicable to me, plus data does not paint the entire picture.

As an extra note, the majority (99%) of my portable listening comes from my HiFiMAN HE-400 headphones, so there will never be a situation where I will listen to music from the phone without the amp.

Thank you for your assistance! All opinions are welcome!

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #574 of 726
Trade your E11 in for an E18 and bypass the phone DAC altogether. Even a good DAC in a phone can be compromised by all the other radio gubbins in the phone. The E18 is around the same size (you wouldn't be adding any bulk) as the E11 whilst also giving you a huge battery that will charge your phone if required. Well, not a Note 3 actually as it's got a pretty big battery of its own. And, of course, it has it's own high quality DAC from Texas Instruments. The E18 will drive just about anything decently. I can play mine through my HD650's at deafening levels on low gain. I haven't though.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #575 of 726
Trade your E11 in for an E18 and bypass the phone DAC altogether. Even a good DAC in a phone can be compromised by all the other radio gubbins in the phone. The E18 is around the same size (you wouldn't be adding any bulk) as the E11 whilst also giving you a huge battery that will charge your phone if required. Well, not a Note 3 actually as it's got a pretty big battery of its own. And, of course, it has it's own high quality DAC from Texas Instruments. The E18 will drive just about anything decently. I can play mine through my HD650's at deafening levels on low gain. I haven't though.

This. Or an iBasso D-Zero.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #578 of 726

Thank you for the advice. Considering my old Galaxy S did not have the capability to use external DACs, I'd completely forgotten that this was an option. I'm pretty much sold on the Note III now.

This. Or an iBasso D-Zero.

It is quite cheap, so I'd look more into this, although it would probably be in the coming months. This new phone is already going to be an unexpected cost, and I'd like to try and not spend more unless necessary, but as we all know, audio quality is a necessary part of life.

I have the Galaxy S (Vibrant) with Voodoo Sound and a FiiO E11. I think the Note 3 sounds better especially after installing Viper4Android.

Are you saying that the Note 3+V4A sounds better than the Vibrant+E11+Voodoo? Or that Note 3+V4A+E11 is better than the Galaxy setup?

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #579 of 726

Are you saying that the Note 3+V4A sounds better than the Vibrant+E11+Voodoo? Or that Note 3+V4A+E11 is better than the Galaxy setup?

No, I doubt the Note 3 alone can drive your large headphones. I use the Note 3 with an IEM. I'm saying the Note 3+V4A sounds much better (to me) than my S1+Voodoo. Viper4Android is quite a bit better with infinitely more options than Voodoo. You may be able to find specific settings (in the form of an Impulse Response) tailored to your headphones. I'm not saying for certain that you will find your particular headphone, but some XDA members do add headphone specific equalization.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #580 of 726
There's JDS Labs and their C5D as well.

V4A won't affect the USB signal though, will it? Surely not.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #581 of 726
Hydrocharged, there'll always be advise on how you can spend more of your money (on stuff you'll likely be trying to sell later on). Just take your time. If you get the Note 3 for all the other reasons you might want a new phone, try it first with your E11 and your headphones. You might like that without changing or buying anything else.

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #583 of 726
Anyone tried some PADS or the NOTE3 with the Micro->SD adapter and a 256Gb SD card ?

or with this ?

Edited by bmichels - Today at 10:03 am

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #584 of 726
Anyone tried some PADS or the [COLOR=B22222]NOTE3 with the Micro->SD adapter and a 256Gb SD card ?[/COLOR]

or with this ?

Edited by bmichels - Today at 10:03 am

It works, and with the 256gb card too.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #585 of 726
It works, and with the 256gb card too.

did you really tested the 256 Gb card yourself with the Note 3 ?  ( I prefer to be sure that it really work before I buy an EXPENSIVE 256 Gb card 
biggrin.gif
 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back