Samson SR850 vs Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
Jan 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

starscream00

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi community.
Ive been lurking around these forums for a while, and i have two headphones that caught my attention, but i dont know which one would be perfect for me.
So im asking you guys for help in deciding between the Samson SR850 and the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

Ok, so this would be my first set of full sized cans, and im planning to use them everyday.
what would be important to me in the headphone:
FPS gaming ( hearing footsteps-competitive)
Regular gaming (single player,good bass)
Movies (using dolby headphone)
Music (dubstep,rock,trance and a little bit of rap now and then)
Really Great soundstage
Comfort

i'll be using the headphones paired with the astro mixamp (dolby headphone)

So people who own both and do the things i will be doing with them, can you please help me decide between these two.
From what i gather the pannys are really bass heavy and might drown out footsteps, and on another forum, i read that someone says the soundstage is horrible
and the Samson SR850 highs are sharp?

im not sure, but i some help lol.

1.Samson SR850
2.Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
3_____________?

if anyone has another recommendation, can you please add to the list :)
 Budget is $50-60

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 17
I've seen the Samsons recommended for gaming a couple times, but I don't think I've ever seen the HFT600 recommend.  I haven't heard them but what I've read on them gives me the impressions they are warm and bassy with a soundstage not worth bragging about.  All those things would make it pretty bad for gaming.  I've read the bass is weird on the Samsons.

Out of those two I'd say the Samsons.  If you have a music store like guitar center/sam-ash/etc. they often have the Samsons in stock so you could listen to them or buy them and return them easily.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 17
I prefer the RP-HTF600-S, because it's only $20 for Velour pads (Beyerdynamic EDT200 Velour ear pads) and I like the bass.
But nothing wrong with the Samson SR850 (made by Superlux).
The headband on the RP-HTF600-S is not as rugged as the one on the SR850.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 17
If you catch a sale at Amazon, you can get the Creative Aurvana Live! for $55-65.  I'd recommend them over the Panasonics any day, for any purpose that you've mentioned.  The Panasonics are muddy, and lack detail.  I found them to be some of the worst headphones I've ever tried, much less owned, and got rid of them.  The pads are cheap and made me sweat easily, so if you do get them, the velour pads would be a good idea.

Haven't tried the Samson's so I can only go on reports here, but after using the Panasonics for a few months, I'd be willing to take them sight unseen as a better set. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 17
I just got the CAD mh310 which is a Superlux hd662f variant. It is closed were as the Samson is open. First impressions are that they are quite well balanced - quite a bit more than the Bass heavy scooped mid panasonic, which I really like by the way. Comfort is sort of an unknown because I need to get these broke in. Unless your a basshead I highly recommend them for the 39 I paid.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 17
If you are looking at the Samson's spend the tad extra to get the HD668B's the removable (easily replaceable) cord is more then enough reason for the switch. Unless you don't like the wing system it has. I am another one that prefers the Superlux over the Panasonic. I had the exact same experience as Kerry.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 17
How do the samsons compare to the CALs?

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
How do the samsons compare to the CALs?

Haven't heard the samsons, but the CALs are on the warm side with substantial bass.  The Samsons are probably a lot brighter sounding with bigger soundstage.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 17
Anyone know if these ear pads will fit the HTF600 and if not change the sound? is worth half of what it costs to Beyer ...

http://www.amazon.com/Velour-Earcushions-Technica-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0081SO0RM/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342664998&sr=1-8&keywords=MDR-7506+and+MDR-V6+ear+pads

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Anyone know if these ear pads will fit the HTF600 and if not change the sound? is worth half of what it costs to Beyer ...

http://www.amazon.com/Velour-Earcushions-Technica-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0081SO0RM/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342664998&sr=1-8&keywords=MDR-7506+and+MDR-V6+ear+pad

They should. But that foam in the back doesn't look removable and that might change the sound for the worst. Nothing some scissors cant fix :)

The opening looks smaller then the beyerdynamics and that might hinder the comfort a bit. but it could just be a bad picture. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back