Same old Schiit? Um, no. Welcome to Asgard 2!
Feb 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #46 of 351
You make good points.  However, my ears let me make my decisions.  From many accounts, the Magni is on the bright side while the Asgard (and Asgard 2 most likely) is on the smoother, laid back side.  I don't particularly like bright sound.

Quote:
With all due caveats about comparing specifications, it seems that even after the Asgard upgrade, Magni remains a compelling offering in the Schiit lineup, particularly based on its distortion performance.

The publicly available specifications on the Asgard were more limited than the current amp lineup, as I recall, but looks like Asgard 2 delivers an order of magnitude improvement in THD to 0.008%. But that's still higher than Magni's THD of 0.005%, and Asgard 2 has higher IMD of 0.010%, compared with Magni's 0.007%. Magni's distortion specs are even superior to Mjolnir! 

Where Magni comes up short is on SNR and crosstalk. Asgard 2 bests Magni's 100 dB with 102 dB, and Mjolnir delivers 104 dB. Similarly, Magni's crosstalk is -70 dB, Asgard 2 -72 dB, and Mjolnir -75 dB. 

Stepping aside of evaluating the practical performance differences of a few thousandths of a percentage of distortion or 2 dB of SNR or crosstalk, it stands to reason that Magni holds its own quite well on the basic specs.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #47 of 351
Preamp outputs! I just ordered one. Will it be safe to pull out the headphone jack and switch to the preamp output while the amp is powered on? 

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #48 of 351
I imagine as long as you turn the volume all the way down before making the switch, you won't damage anything.

Quote:
Preamp outputs! I just ordered one. Will it be safe to pull out the headphone jack and switch to the preamp output while the amp is powered on? 

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #49 of 351
My order status went from backordered till Feb 6th to 'Asgard 2 Ships 2/15'
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #51 of 351
Quote:
Sometimes backorders have benefits. 

Except that I ordered it through paypal and the authorization for the payment expires the 13th...oh well we will deal with it when we need to.
If it was easy every one would be doing it...

Jason emailed that he would start shipping on the 12th, so I might be okay???

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #53 of 351
Quote:
Quote:
Does that mean Asgard 2 loves the big ohms headphones more than ever before?

Oops, missed this one.

I'll skip to huge technical explanation, but--no, wait, let's do it.

Bottom line: there are really three basic ways to reduce distortion:

1. Feedback--or, say, error correction, which is technically not feedback, it has an entirely different s-domain description, but let's lump them together for brevity.
2. More complex topologies which allow the active devices to have a more linear area of operation.
3. Running the active devices in a small part of their linear area of operation.

Asgard 2 uses #2 and #3--cascode topology, and much higher voltage rails (80V, as opposed to Asgard 1's 32V rails) to reduce distortion. It also uses a small amount of feedback in the low gain mode. So, distortion and output impedance are even lower in the low-gain mode (0.005%-ish and 0.6 ohms--ish).

Now, this all has nothing to do with driving high-impedance headphones, which typically want lots of voltage.

But, to get to the point with a relevant answer: Yes, Asgard 2 has significantly higher voltage output capability into high impedances. Asgard topped out at about 20V p-p. Asgard 2 tops out at about 30V p-p, much like a Valhalla. The only reason it doesn't have higher output power into low impedances is that its maximum output is set by the amount of current flowing in the Class-A output stage, which is fixed by a current source.

Great post. I've been looking for a summary such as this for a while now. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #56 of 351
I will have this combo and will be happy to put it through the paces.  I'll compare the HD600s driven by the Asgard 1 and 2 for you!

Quote:
I'm looking forward to some reviews on this.  Better yet would be someone with some HD 600s.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #58 of 351
Wow...this is what I've been hoping for since the mojo came out. I loved the technology there but I didn't want to go balanced, nor could I afford the price of admission. Now I just have to sell off some stuff to be able to buy the Asgard 2, come on people I've got some great gear for sale!! 
size]

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #60 of 351
I was so excited about the Magni and Modi but now you have upped the stakes! Here is my question I listen to my music out of my Mac mini or Linux box would it be better to by the M/M combo or buy the Asgard 2 with an eye towards buying a bifrost or the Modi later? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back