Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #46 of 217
Don't add me to the draw, I'm just posting out of a desire to share:

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?

LCD-2s at the moment, as they benefit from the wide soundstage possible with balanced gear.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

Dual three-pin outputs came from HeadRoom's original Blockhead which was two completely separate amps, with separate power sockets joined together in a single box. Since everyone now does this more conventionally, we only NEED one plug, so 4-pin XLR it is IMO. 2x 3-pin plugs is a nuisance to have to modify a pair of headphones for.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

If it is just a "utility" then it's pretty useless IMO if you can't get good quality out of it when, say, borrowing cans that you can't use as your other headphones. The SE amps I've really liked were all slightly coloured, whereas the balanced amp I own is absolutely, utterly "nothing but the facts maam" and the SE output of that amp isn't very exciting at all. Maybe it is that every amp has to make a point in some way with its affect on the sound and my balanced amp does that with its balanced outputs, only.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #47 of 217

Yes, Audeze LCD-2

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?

NA on the headphones, always for amps

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

4 Pin XLR only, dual 3 pin is outdated don't bother with it

Yes, I have SE and BAL headphones and so do most others for the amplified output, variable/fixed line level outputs are not required

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

Yes, thought should be put into making sure the SE output can drive your typical 32-600 ohm with enough power for the mainstream headphones.  It should be as quiet as the balanced output as possible.  It should be thought of as seriously as the balanced section and not an after thought, otherwise leave it out.

1. Adjustable gain would be nice
  2. power switch on front
  3. optional stepped attenuator
  4. go full solid state and make sure the asgard and this stand apart sonically!

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #48 of 217

Yes, HE-6

Def will go with a balanced amp......only if it's done right as Jason often says. :)

not important. 4-pin XLR is good enough for me

It is definately something nice to have, so i can try other non-balanced headphone with the same amp. Most of ppl who is purchasing a balanced amp most likely have several pair of headphones.

exactly. if it's a balanced amp, then balanced outputs are def more important. again, most of ppl who is purchasing a balanced amp probably already have couple nice single-ended amps.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #49 of 217
I have a set of HD580s and a cable with 4pin XLR termination, though no balanced amp to run with.

Definitely considering a balanced amp.

I'm not a fan of the double 3pin deal, so it's not really important for me. It wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't need it.

I think it's important to have single-ended outputs.

I think it is almost as important as the balanced outputs. I would prefer to have one amp that works well for everything just for convenience. And then there are some headphones I just don't really want to rewire for various reasons.

Thanks. :3

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #50 of 217

Unfortunately, no. I generally don't like changing headphone cables in case it affects the sound signature negatively.

Yes I will be, especially if the headphone have a rather flat sound or a not unique sound, then I will use it to test out balanced mode. Balanced mode is currently much too expensive unfortunately...

Not much difference for me, but 3 pins seems to be much more common in Hong Kong

For lower end models, people might use the amp for both purposes, especially when lower end consumers often shop on a tight budget. However, removing the single ended section may reduce the selling price. Higher end models it would also be nice to have that function, but most people would have the money to buy another single ended amp.

If you include an feature, of course I would like that feature to be as good as it can be.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #51 of 217

T1 / Edition 8 balanced cable mod coming soon

If there is an audible difference between the two, then I would go with whatever version sounds better in regards to the quality of the 3pin vs 4 pin.  Is it possible a great quality 3 pin can sound just as good as a 4 pin?  If so, then why bother with a 4 pin?

If the amp is expensive, there are no excuses for it to not include an array of input types.  Most audiophiles own multiple sets, those sets might not all be balanced.  If you are making an audiophile product, make sure to cater to the audiophiles and give them incentive to buy it.  The more features, the better.  The more basic, the lesser the overall usefulness and value the product in question becomes.  It would not be a good value if it had just 1 input regardless of how great it sounds.  

-My problem with most of the more expensive amps is that many of those I have used are not set up to mesh well with forward sounding headphones.  If such a thing is even possible, the inclusion of a positioning switch would be amazing.  Something to allow you to switch between a more distant feeling a'la sennheiser, or something more appropriate for center placement.  I prefer an immersing experience and it becomes a hassle to find the right amp to mesh with my forward sounding headphones, I also prefer to not have to switch around to other amps for specific use with any one set of headphones.  Why can't one amp just do it all?  When that amp is invented and is not as expensive as a car, odds are good I will get it.

-Digital volume control and LCD is something I've always wanted in my hi fi amps.  

-mike

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #52 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? currently dont have balanced cans, 

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? but will be recabling the next set i buy (probably hd650's) as balanced

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? i think dual 3 pin may be overkill, but as long as audio quality does not suffer, might as well throw it on there
smily_headphones1.gif

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? for me its actually fairly important, because in the future i doubt all of my cans will be balanced. and if i get a new set of cans that i dont plan to balance and this is my best amp, id certainly appreciate a single ended out.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? quality first. if its not of equal quality of the balanced outs there is no point in putting it on the amp.

thanks for the fantastic opportunity!! id love to try out a valhalla!
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #53 of 217

1. I currently do not own any balanced headphones.

1. I have just recently been struck with the audiophilia bug, so I'm starting small for now. I can easily see myself upgrading to something balanced in the future.

1. My input here probably won't help at all as I know next to nothing about the technology behind balanced headphones, so I'll refrain from answering.

1. I think it would be nice to have. If I bought an expensive amp, I would like to see if it did anything for cheaper, non-balanced headphones.

1. Quality would be nice, but I'm guessing most people at this point have multiple amplifiers anyways, so ultra-quality will probably already be covered for that end. Knowing how you operate over at Schiit, I'm guessing anything "utility" will still be more than adequate if you choose to include it.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #54 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones?
 - No
If so, which ones? If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
 - Probably not. When you go balanced, you need not only to balance your headphones, but also your amp and source. The costs would be too high for me when you look how much you benefit from it. I can't afford that.
 - Would I go balanced, I'd definitely choose an amp with both a 4-pin and a SE output. Dual three-pin isn't as user-friendly as 4 pin.
 - It's important as not all headphones would benefit as much from balancing. When you have headphones that are single-ended, I may still want to use the amp with them.
 - Both are equally important. Otherwise, I would have to buy another amp that has a better SE output. It's more expensive and gives a lot of hassle. And not to mention, the wife wouldn't like to have another amp in 'her' living room :wink:

I am looking to replace my Corda Opera with an amp that matches my 600 ohm Beyers better. I've been looking at the Valhalla. Hope I win :) Great giveaway, Schiit! :)

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #55 of 217
  I'm going to purchase a LCD-2 and then run the balanced cable.

I want to see what balanced is all about.  I really want to compare this amplifier to what Burson has to offer and other higher end manufacturers.

A 4 pin XLR would be important to me, I really don't like running adapters so options would be great in this category.

A single-ended output would be nice but not all that necessary IMHO.  If I needed single-ended outputs I would switch to a amp that has them and does it well.

If the single ended output is not on par with the balanced connection then it is not worth doing it at all.  For me I would rather have it done right even if it means the cost is going to be more.  If the single ended output was added and was not that good it would somehow be the highlight in all the reviews.  IMO that could be a bit of bad publicity.  I wouldn't give any reviewer a gateway to pick apart a product. After all isn't the overall goal to make the end user say "This amp is the Schiit!!". 

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #56 of 217
I don't have any balanced headphones, but have been thinking of balancing my Senn HD 650's

yes - since I have a balanced source

4 pin XLR is preferred

SE output is very important. Not all of my headphones will be recabled and I would like to stick to one high quality amp. Also, friends can plug in even if they aren't balanced.

Just make it the quality of the Asgard and my world would be a happy place!

Other
Tube rolling makes me happy! Most of us already have a nice DAC. If you want to include one, please make it an option and not mandatory!

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #57 of 217
LCD-2, T1, and HD650
4 pins only.
Not really important.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #58 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Yes. HD650, HD800, RS1, K701, LCD2

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? N/A

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? I prefer dual 3-pin.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Not important.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? N/A

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #59 of 217

I'd like to be added to the drawing. I'm always interested in new gear. 

Hd800, Hd650, K240DF, K240sextet, K1000, HE6prototypes, RS-1, RS-60, maybe more. 

N/A, have a couple balanced amps. 

Absolutely must have 4-pin. Should have 2x3pin. Neutrik makes very nice combo TRS/3-pinXLR jacks.

Must have. I have several headphones I will not touch to switch cables or reterminate.

Also nice to "get your fix" when you first get a set of headphones that are still SE.

Must be very good.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #60 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? Yes If so, which ones?  HD800

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?  Not very, though it's nice to have the option.  Not sure how much the price would change.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?  Very IMO.  Many of us have a lot of phones and not all are balanced.  Better to have a jack than another amp.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?  Just as important.  Anything coming out of a flagship amp should be top notch regardless.  Anything less is unacceptable IMO and makes the point of having the SE jack moot.  I have portable/transportable solutions otherwise.

Here is my question for you and everyone else.

How important is it to have a black anodized enclosure option?  Very!  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back