Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #76 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?

No.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?

Yes. I am curious to hear the difference in single ended and balanced headphones.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

No preference

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?

Quite important.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

For me, a quality single-ended output will be important, since I prefer all-in-one amplifier.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #77 of 217

Not right now. I have a DT990/600 with stock cable.

Looking to upgrade cable with 4-pin XLR and a single ended attachment. Upgrade to a balanced amp/source soon.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
Having both will be too much. Cut the cost down and go with one ( preferably 4-pin XLR).

It would be a welcome addition. Increased utility, saves money (for customer) and more importantly desk space.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
Definitely quality is important. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #78 of 217
Nope.

Yes, hoping to balance my K701 one day.

No opinion.

It would be nice to have, but not a necessity.

I would say as important.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #79 of 217

None so far.

Am waiting for the right balanced amp to appear before i covert my HD650 to balanced.

I'll take both if possible, but 4 pin XLR if i only have one choice.

I think it is a must to have both.

I think single ended outputs is just as important as balanced outputs.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #80 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?  Recabled balanced Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 600ohm and Victor HP-DX3 90ohm

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?  A balanced amp would be nice.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?  At least include an adapter cable if only one goes on the amp.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?  Balanced gear is mostly for the chosen few, and at that end of the market compatibility and versatility have low priority.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?  It's a thing of prestige.  If its a high priced amp, won't it be nice if it did well everything it advertises?  I say either do it well or don't do it at all.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #81 of 217
 I do not have a balanced cable set for my Sennheiser 580's at this time. Mostly becuase I do not yet have either a balanced DAC or amp at the moment.

I have definitely read up on and entertained the thought of upgrading to a balanced amp/DAC in the next 12/18 mos to see if it lives up to the hype.

Since I have not made the move into balanced cables yet, Dual 3-pins aren't important to me. I could adapt to the 4 pin just as easily.

I feel it IS important to have the single ended output as well to provide for more versatility. What if I was unable to use my balanced cans (for whatever reason) and had only SE cans to use until I could fix my balanced? Also, it would be nice to have SE/Balanced for comparison reasons.

While I think the argument for utility only "could" be made, I think I would personally prefer to have quality outputs for both. Why have both if they aren't both quality?

I DO realise that the way I have answered the last 2 questions would raise the cost of the amp in the end, I think most people would prefer to pay a little more to get LOT better amp.

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #82 of 217

Quote:

Hey all,

We’re getting ready to finalize the feature set for a possible upcoming balanced amp, and we thought you might want to let us know what you think about balanced amps, what features you want, if it should include the kitchen sink, if it should be priced under $50*, etc. 

To sweeten the pot, everyone who responds before August 31, 2011 will be entered to win a Valhalla (triode OTL) headphone amplifier. We’ll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, on September 2.

Here are the questions:

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? No balanced headphones. Only stock Denon AH-D7000.
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? Maybe, it's a long shot however because of its costs. (I'm referring costs to recabling and amp)
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? Not very important, but I do want to see more 4-pin XLR headphones and 4-pin headphone outputs out there. Having one 3-pin XLR connector is already bulky enough.
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Very important. Having both outputs gives more versatility. Neutrik NCJ9FI-S helps save space and cost.
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? More of a "utility" thing.

Thanks in advance for your responses! 

All the best,
Jason

*Note: This is a joke. Doing balanced right (balanced from input to output, *good* quad pot, true differential output stage, etc.) ain't cheap. Please don't tell all your friends "Schiit is gonna do a balanced amp for $50!" Because that's not gonna happen.

I thought about just answering with "Yes, no, maybe so." Then again, I do want to help you and your successful development.

Aug 16, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #83 of 217
Yes. Audeze LCD-2s.

[...] For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
Not at all. I think you guys should help push to standardise 4-pin XLR as "the" balanced connectors.

It can hardly be argued to be fundamental. I do however think it is convenient if you can get away with one amp. I would however, like to think the SE output came second in development. 

See above. Utility.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #84 of 217

Quote:

No
I have no idea what crosstalk sounds like but if I had that kind of money, I'd definitely try balanced connections out.
That would depend on the cost, if the cost is higher than $100 to have both, then you guys should go with the most popular output
It should be included in the amp. Consumers always want more features. Not to mention most headphones out there are single end
I'd say its more of a utility since in most situations, only the best headphones are balanced, unless its a vintage headphone or something a like
Thanks in advance for your responses! 

All the best,
Jason

*Note: This is a joke. Doing balanced right (balanced from input to output, *good* quad pot, true differential output stage, etc.) ain't cheap. Please don't tell all your friends "Schiit is gonna do a balanced amp for $50!" Because that's not gonna happen.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #85 of 217

Quote:
Nope, but i´m going to...

Both...

I would go for the 4-pin, if you only do one of them.

Without single-ended, it´s a "no go" for me...

Just as important. I sure would like both options, in ref quality!

Best regards
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #86 of 217

[size=9.75pt]  [/size]
[size=9.75pt] Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Not yet but looking at getting some LCD2's re-cabled[/size]
[size=9.75pt]  [/size]
[size=9.75pt]If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? [/size][size=9.75pt]I've been looking at [/size][size=11.0pt]violectric HPA V181[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  [/size]
[size=9.75pt] For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? For me 4-pin is the standard I would like to back.[/size]
[size=9.75pt]  [/size]
[size=9.75pt] For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Very, if I like an amp I'll want to use it will a few different type of phones.[/size]
[size=9.75pt]  [/size]
[size=9.75pt] If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? I think if a single end output is included then the quality should match that of the balanced output.[/size]

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #87 of 217
Not as of now.
When money loosens up again I was thinking about purchasing a balanced headphone amp and then getting a balanced headphone.
4 pin XLR by itself would be fine.
Flexibility of having single-ended outputs will win over a lot of folks.
It needs to be simply good enough...but my good enough is different from the next guy. (Utility)

edit: dual-three pin XLRs would be acceptable if they were the combo jacks and one acted as a low gain and the other a high gain for single ended outputs. If that is not feasible though I would just use a 4 pin and a 1/4" TRS

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #88 of 217

Yes, Sennheiser HD800 with 2x3pin XLR and LCD-2 with 4-pin XLR

I still am.

Since I own headphones with both 3-pin and 4-pin connections, it is very, very important to me to have both kinds of outputs.

Not important to me.

If it's there, quality is the most important thing.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #89 of 217

Not at this point in time :/

Most definitely. Hopefully getting my hands on a pair of LCD-2 when the opportunity presents itself.

4-pin would suffice; it doesn't seem like dual 3's are too cost-effective or even particularly prevalent.

Very important, and a definite area of focus (please). Not everyone has the money or resources to attain several amps; with a considerable investment already in balanced headphones, the purchase of a balanced amp and another high end amp with a single-ended output could be pretty strenuous. 

That's a really good question, and one I'm having a hard time coming up with a good answer to. I can understand why people (especially on Head-Fi) would say the quality of the single-ended output should be equal to the quality of the balanced output, but the additional expense of making such a high-end single-ended output in addition to a balanced output seems like it might be enough to put people off, especially those looking to have the amp for exclusively balanced purposes. Nevertheless, at this level of hi-fi audio gear it seems intuitive that the single-ended output should match the quality of the balanced output.

Thanks for this, Jason! Schiit just keeps getting better. The Valhalla would just be icing on the cake; it'd definitely give me an excuse to pull the trigger on some DT990s, too. 
dt880smile.png

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #90 of 217

Not at the moment.

Am considering whether my next set would be balanced.

Given my current lack of XLR cabled headphones, not at all.

It's definitely useful, but not critical.

I'd argue that the primary driver of the feature is comparison, so getting it as close to apples-to-apples would be important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back