Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #106 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?  No.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?  Most definitely.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?  I would love to see 4-pin XLR become the standard for balanced connection.  As far as I'm concerned, 3-pin XLR should go the way of the dodo.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?  What's the point in getting a balanced amp if I'm going to use the single-ended output?  Don't really need single-ended.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?  I guess if you can put a single-ended output on there without driving up the cost significantly or compromising sound quality on the balanced side, then go for it, but if it would cause you to have to sacrifice sound quality in any way for the balanced outputs, then leave it out.

I'm very excited that you guys are looking into a fully-balanced amp.  IMHO, when it's done right, a fully-balanced amp is awesome.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #107 of 217

Quote:
[size=10.5pt]Based upon what someone wrote I wanted to clarify something.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]It is perfectly OK to make a Single Ended (¼” or 1/8” stereo jack) to balanced (4 pin or two 3 pin XLR’s) adapter.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]It however is not always OK to make or consider using a Balanced to Single Ended adapter (4 pin or two 3 pin XLR to ¼” or 1/8”).[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]I won’t get into the technical reasons, but I’d caution any balanced amp owners that are considering using a balanced to single ended adapter to TALK TO THE MANUFACTURER before doing so.[/size]

Absolutely right!

Our balanced topology (as well as all the other real balanced topologies we know of) won't be thrilled if you short the left and right negative outputs together.

"Won't be thrilled" = "will trigger the protection--amp won't work." If there was no protection, "won't be thrilled" = "amp go boom."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #108 of 217
This is also why adding a Single Ended output is not as simple as most think. That being said, I still believe that it should have a SE output.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #109 of 217
The only thing better than one single-ended output on the front panel...

is two single-ended outputs on the front panel.

Then you can share your music with a friend!

I figure, if you're going to make a separate amp section for the SE out, might as well have two. :D

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #110 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
None.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
I would like to try a balanced rig.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
confused_face.gif

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
Somewhat important. I would like both balanced and single-ended available, and in an all-in-one package to make desk space neater.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
I don't always listen to balanced headphone rig, but when I do, I prefer Schiit.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #111 of 217

Quote:
The only thing better than one single-ended output on the front panel...

is two single-ended outputs on the front panel.

Then you can share your music with a friend!

I figure, if you're going to make a separate amp section for the SE out, might as well have two. :D

You've got to be kidding.  Buy your own splitter.

But since we're on the topic of twos in this thread.  How about independent L/R gain adjustment?

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #112 of 217

Quote:

Here are the questions:

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Not yet, but I have the capability to convert them if I have a balanced amp. It's kinda...stupid to convert them to balance them at this point, but I'm looking at balancing an HD650 and maybe an XB1000 for teh lulz.
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? I was looking to build a balanced Bijou and B22 
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? I think it's rather important to have both in case people have cables made, but it'd be best to have that as an option instead of being standard. It'd take more work right? I'm sure people would oblige to paying another $25-50 if they really needed it, or they can make adapters.
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? It's not necessarily vital, but it'd be a nice add on, like the dual three pin thing. No point in adding it if you don't need it.
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? I'd say that if one wants to add the single ended option, it should sound at least 85-90% of the balanced output (power difference equating to better sound notwithstanding). If you decide to make it standard gear, then a "utility" thing would be okay. Most people would have a single ended amp of some sort anyways. But since amps aren't a cheap thing and there are a lot of people that just want one amp, making it sound "good" would be awesome as long as it doesn't make it more expensive than planned. 

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #113 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
   Not yet.

Not seriously.  Maybe later.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
   Not at all.

100%.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
  Please optimize the balanced outs, even if the SE suffers.  OTOH, why shouldn't a good balanced amp offer top-notch SE performance too?

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #114 of 217

Quote:

None.

Not specifically for the balanced topology. I may buy an high-end amp that happens to have balanced outputs, but it won't be the deciding factor in my purchase.

Very important. I used to own the HE-6, may buy it again, and will buy the K1000 in the future, so a 4-pin connector is a must have.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also haves single-ended outputs?

Deal-breaker. I wouldn't buy an amp without a single-ended output. The reason is that even if balanced is my primary goal, I still have a lot of single-ended headphones. I like to buy and sell headphones, so if I'm just trying something out, I'm not going to recable it for balanced operation. That pretty much kills resale value.

Must be the same quality - see my answer to the last question. Even if I had a balanced headphone, I would still use many single-ended headphones. But, how would the average consumer know if both outputs are the same quality? The wouldn't. They wouldn't even know if the amp is truly balanced. So I'm not sure if this question is relevant...

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #115 of 217

-Yes, Sennheiser HD650 and HD600, Denon D7000

-N/A

- 2x 3pin XLR is actually quite important, I came across a large number of gear in the past utilizing 3pin xlr's and have most of my headphones terminated to dual 3pin xlr. It would be simple enough to build a converter, but I think a dual 3pin xlr is mandatory for me, just for ease and convenience. To be honest, with the realistic price tag on a balanced amp ($400+), I would like to think I don't need a special adapter to use my headphones because the manufacturer has taken the time to ensure that I had what I needed for the price I paid. 

-Oddly enough, very important. While most of my listening gear is balanced, when new headphones come out, they are usually single ended. When I'm trying out a pair (on loan from a friend or during a little get together), I'd like to avoid taking out my soldering pencil and rewiring the headphones before using them. I could also use an adapter of course. But I'd suggest just going with a design like the Neutrik 3-pin XLR/Single Ended Panel Mount Plug. It is quite a bit more expensive, but it solves the problem nicely without additional space/design issues. 

-This is by in large utility, but  I think a necessary one. Think of a blu-ray player NEEDING to play DVDs. If you start getting a blu-ray collection, dvds should be far from your mind, but in case you come across one, you don't want to have to dig up a dvd player just to play it. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #116 of 217
Not very creative thinking there. What about sweetening the pot a little more?

Winner gets a choice of current amp, *or* waiting for the new balanced amp! Gets to test the prototype?

Quote:
Hey all,

We’re getting ready to finalize the feature set for a possible upcoming balanced amp, and we thought you might want to let us know what you think about balanced amps, what features you want, if it should include the kitchen sink, if it should be priced under $50*, etc. 

To sweeten the pot, everyone who responds before August 31, 2011 will be entered to win a Valhalla (triode OTL) headphone amplifier. We’ll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, on September 2.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #117 of 217

Quote:
Here are the questions:

Do you have balanced headphones?  <no> If so, which ones?
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? <yes>
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? <6 pin, combined single connection...see below>
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? <fairly important, I want it>
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? <both>

All the best,
Jason

See my recent post in Jude's review of the Stax SR-009.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560425/head-fi-tv-episode-008-stax-sr-009-best-headphone-ever-made

If the Govibe Porta tube amp can power a notoriously power hungry AKG K1000 off of battery power, well enough (Jaban AU claims the K1000 "sings" off of this "very powerful" tiny portable tube amp), but only has SE outputs.

Surely a balanced; RSA SR71b type connector or like iBasso uses on their SS PB2 balanced portable; amp, could be done well enough to drive the Stax SR-009.

Do so for <$1k (doesn't *have* to be a tube amp like the GoVibe, but such an amp would make the SR-009 owners real happy) and Jude will have all the excuses he needs to buy an SR-009 for his mobile uses, and home too...he'd probably name his next child after you too :D

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #118 of 217
No.

I am planning to purchase balanced cable for my HE500 soon. I am very interested in purchasing Schiit balanced amp.

I would prefer 4-pin XLR but it is easy to re-terminate or get an adapter so I really do not care.

I am not planning to re-terminate all of my headphones, so it is a big plus for me.

It depends. If price is low enough, I wouldn't mind having a single-ended output that has lower quality.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #119 of 217

No

Not currently.  The way the past couple years have been, I'm just not sure it's within my budget right now.

No preference, but I'd like to see three-pin XLR included, in part because it's much easier to integrate with studio equipment.

I'd call it a potential deal breaker, though I suppose it would depend on my headphone inventory at the time, too.

Absolutely important.  Utility is part of it, but there's no point if the outputs aren't high quality.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #120 of 217
No. But my HD600 can be turned into one.

Yes.

Since i havent gone balanced yet i dont really care which way it is.

Yes i would like to have a single ended output for compatibility

I say its important to be the same quality if you are going to put a single ended output. Otherwise its not worth putting it to the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back