Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #136 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
No, but I will.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
Yes, eagerly.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
Not important at all.  I'd use the amp's topology as a basis for a consistent cabling strategy.  One of the benefits of not being there yet.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
Not important, but I would not pass up the chance to use a SE output if I liked it.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
Well, I don't want it to suck, and that's basically it.  To elaborate: if the particular quality and the sound signature of the amp can be enjoyed from either of two different output methods, even if one is clearly superior or has more to offer, that's the balanced-out-with-single-ended-too that you want to build.  Provided, of course, we can't have it all.  Because you know we want to.

'Cause I wanna be all like "OMG I tried the balanced out and it's like the smoothest chocolate, then I plugged into the 6.3mm and it's the richest vanilla, so you know what I'm doing now??? Wearing all my headphones and ordering more ears!!"

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #137 of 217
No, not currently
Yes, when i upgraded my source though
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
I don't think 4 pin XLR is a necessity but dual three pin XLR is a must ....
I don't think it's important, why would you buy a balanced amp if you only have single-ended output ? anyway one could easily buy connectors i think ....
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
Utility for me.

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #138 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Nope.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? As far as I know...no. 

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? No clue.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? For me, it would be mandatory.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? I assume it would be a utility thing.

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #139 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Not yet, but when I upgrade I plan to recable whatever I get to balanced.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? Both, I have a balanced-capable DAC and I want balanced cans and if needed a balanced amp.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? For me, mandatory, otherwise I can't have the cable I want!

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Would be nice, not necessary.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? More of a utility thing.

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #140 of 217
I mown a Sennheiser HD650, which can be very easily turned into a balanced headphone. I would be great that a similar product to Asgard with balanced, 4-pin XLR out would come out, in the sub-400$ region.
No need for dual 3-pin XLR, 4-pin XLR is fine.
It would be nice if Bifrost had balanced outs but I currently own a DAC with balanced outputs.
Single ended output would be nice as well but its quality is not as important as the balanced output.

Hope this helps :)

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #141 of 217

Yes, i own a HD 800 with double helix balanced cable.

As far as i know both of the 2 solutions provide the same sonic quality so i prefer 4-pin XLR since it's more economic and more "green" for our planet.

As long as it doesn't affect the audio quality, adding a single-ended output is nearly a must since not every headphone out there is cable balanced.

I think people who buy a balanced amp want the best out of the balanced output so the single-end one can be a little more "utility" than "quality".

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #142 of 217
Hi Jason!

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?  ---- Dont have a set of balanced cans.
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? - No.
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? - No Comment
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? - No comment
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? - If I did have balanced cans this would be very important to me.

All the best
Alex

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #143 of 217

Quote:

No need for single-ended output if balanced output is there-a good quality adapter can be made for about 20-30 bucks.

Wrong!!!  As both I and Jason previously cautioned; A SE (1/4") to Balanced adapter is OK, but a Balanced to (1/4") SE is NOT OK. If a person does not know what they are talking about they shouldn't talk about it at all. Promulgating the false impression that Balanced to SE adapters (going to a 1/4 or 1/8 plug) are OK is doing a disservice to the community.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #144 of 217

Quote:

Wrong!!!  As both I and Jason previously cautioned; A SE (1/4") to Balanced adapter is OK, but a Balanced to (1/4") SE is NOT OK. If a person does not know what they are talking about they shouldn't talk about it at all. Promulgating the false impression that Balanced to SE adapters (going to a 1/4 or 1/8 plug) are OK is doing a disservice to the community.

I assume you mean an adapter to allow a single ended headphone to be used in a XLR balanced output.
I made one for my T1's which are not balanced so that I could use the balanced output from my ROC. It does work perfectly (so far) but Kingwa did tell me that it should not be done. If I remember correctly its something to do with it not being earthed although it was a few months ago and I can't remember exactly. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #145 of 217

Quote:

Yeah, looks like we're going to have to be real clear in the instructions: IF YOU SHORT TWO ACTIVE OUTPUTS TOGETHER, YOU WILL HAVE A BAD DAY.

Balanced amp negative terminals are active. At least on a real balanced amp. Any difference between the channels is driving a dead short (0 ohms.) You might be able to short them together and get away with it for a while at low volume, since, let's face it, stereo channels typically have similar content, so there's not going to be a huge voltage differential there most of the time. But the moment there is--BOOM.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #146 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?  Yes Senn HD650 with one copper balanced cable and a silver balanced cable as well.  Plus Beyer T1 balanced Silver cable.  

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?  Will only buy balanced amps.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? Not at all lose the dual XLR's bulky silly things. 4 pin is fine.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?  Harder, how about skip it but provide a 4pin XLR to TRS adapter.  For those times when users want to plug in their new headphones but have not got them re-cabled yet.  

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?   For me would be a utility.  Unless the single ended is absolutely as good as the balanced don't do it.  In my mind there are several very good single ended amps which if customer does not already own one of then can purchase if it is a priority.

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #147 of 217
Not very technical here but would just add my comments.

I have AKG K1000 and Stax SR303 -- are they considered balanced?

Just brought Sennheiser HD650 to go that direction.  How long would I have to wait for your new amp?

Whichever gives the best sound quality.  However, please have the adapter available, free or added cost.

I would strongly prefer to have the balanced amp with a high quality single-ended output.  That way I can really test my HD650 on the improvement from normal to balanced setup.     t

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #148 of 217

HD600!

Not important.

Would be nice to have, but it is not essential.

I would not want the single-ended outputs to be included if they were of inferior quality.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #149 of 217

Not yet.

Yup.

Not important - I have other amps for that.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #150 of 217
Sorry, you're right. I thought it could be done but now I understand as Jason explained it. I edit my post not to spread stupidity.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back