Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #16 of 217
I own a Hifiman HE-500.

I don't know anything about XLR (never used one). So, I guess I don't have any preference between 3 and 4 pin.

How much cost would it add to the amp to have a quality single ended output? Ultimately, if I'm buying a balanced amp then I want a balanced amp. I can use the Lyr for single ended applications. But, if adding on a quality single ended doesn't raise the price "too much" then I say go for it. It would be nice to only need one amp. I understand how hard it will be to make the one amp to rule them all at a reasonable price though.

By the way, does this mean that Schiit is going to make a balanced DAC? If so, sign me up for one.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #17 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones?

Not right now (LCD-2 w/ stock cable).

If so, which ones?

n/a

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?

I would definitely be interested in getting a balanced cable for my LCD-2 in the future (and an amp to go along with it).

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

The 4-pin seems more convenient so I'd prefer that.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?

Important as I'd stagger my purchases so I might have the amp before a balanced source or headphones.  Also would want to use it with other headphones I don't plan to re-cable.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

Quality if included.

Thanks for the contest!

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?

No

Both, would just require cable change for my LCD-2 and yes, a balanced rig is something I know I'll end up trying so a Schiit balanced amp is on my short list

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?

Not important to me, I'm not locked into either format and I don't know enough about the advantages/disadvantages.  Always nice to have all formats but if it significantly drives up the cost then one or the other is fine with me.  

Somewhat important but not a deal-breaker for me as I already have the singled-ended Lyr

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

Quality preferred, full monty, no need to fake the funk on a nasty dunk (Sir Shaq)

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Not yet

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? Yes

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? Not important

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Not important

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? Utility, I will re-wire any headphones that I plan to use regularly

Thanks
James

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #20 of 217
No, I don't.

Maybe.

I have no idea which one is more beneficial, but it's be nice to have options.

Again, nice to have options.

Well, if it is going to have single-ended too, it better be more than a "utility" thing. They both should be of great quality, as any other features the amp may have.

edit: Looking forward to your creation!

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #21 of 217

Quote:

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Yes, a pair of Hifiman HE-5LE's.
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? Eventually, yes.
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? I would prefer 4-pin XLR as it is just less cabling/connectors to mess with.
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? It would be important IMO.
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? I would say it is a utility thing.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #22 of 217

Yes - HiFiman HE-5LE
I use an Exemplar Audio OTL32 (A heavily modified Antique Sound Labs OTL32) which has a 4 pin XLR output that is not Truly Balanced, but then again neither are so called Balanced Headphones. As far as am I in the market? I'm not currently in the market, but I could be swayed by the right product.
My HE-5LE's use the 4 pin XLR connection. The dual 3 pin is stupid and ultimately should be abandoned. So IMHO 4 pin is a must and dual 3 pin less so. If I were building a balanced amp it would have both.
Somewhat. Since most headphones are SE as sold not offering SE would be shortsighted. Most high end headphone users have multiple sets of headphones, not all are balanced. It's nice to be able to use all (or most) of ones headphones with each system (especially what is presumably a reference quality system)
SE should be of a high quality.

Some additional thoughts:
I'd assume that a Schiit Balanced Amp will be moderately expensive. Being moderately expensive it would be great if it offered additional functionality:
Multiple inputs (2 sets of XLR's and 2 sets of RCA if SE is offered)
Rear Panel Preamp Outputs

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #23 of 217

1. LCD-2

1. Currently using a 4 Pin to SE adapter, But if a budget amp falls within my budget I would upgrade in the future.

1. Since I only have 1 balanced headphone atm it doesn't matter

1. I have a 4 pin to SE adapter so it isn't super important but it would be convenient to have.

1. The single-end should be as good as the balance output since we would be ultilizing more then one headphone and by default it might not have a balanced cable.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #24 of 217

Not at the moment.

I may possibly balance my LCD-2s.

No important at all, a 4-pin XLR shall suffice, 4-pin to dual 3-pin XLR adaptors are pretty easy to make, maybe include in the box.

Very, I 'd want at least one single ended output; the best would be a dual single ended output to allow for sharing the music.

I believe you intend to sell this as some kind of statement product, a lesser quality single ended output would mar its integrity. Besides, people don't always have several amps, being able to use all their headphones with it would be very helpful.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 217
Here are the questions:

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? - lcd-2 on the way
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? - possibly - getting an sr71b soon, thats a start...
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? - i dont know
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? - if someone is making the effort to go balance, i would guess that is their main concern, and at that point they would just want the price down so why ad single ended also?
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? - if you're gonna make a good amp, make it good all the way.. dont stick a half mast single end on a balanced amp, thats just insulting, and pointless people usually buy a balanced amp b/c they are looking for ultra high end.. like the saying goes, if you're gonna be a bear, be a GRIZZLEY!

I always thought it would be good to have mini xlr connector options rather than those giant full size one's.. whats the point in having to have such gigantic connectors at the end of your headphones if you dont have to...

I HOPE I WIN THE AMP!!

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #26 of 217

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? Notbalanced now but could easily swap out to balanced cables. Sennheiser HD580 

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? HD 580s are not balanced now but would recable if found reasonable priced balanced amp.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? No idea.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Would be a nice plus, but not essential.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? Hard to say. I would expect the single-ended to be comparable quality, at least as far as the connection type allows. There's a danger when a manufacturer offers an additional feature that isn't up to snuff. So, that's more for your marketers to decide. I suppose, if you can't offer a reasonably high quality SE connection then don't offer it or do it as an option for additional $$.

Thanks Schiit!

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #27 of 217
HiFiMAN HE-6 (I currently use a TRS-ended cable I made, but I sure would enjoy using them in a balanced setup).

I could probably live with just one of them as I DIY most of my cables, but it's defenietly a plus.

I'd prefer 1 balanced and 1 single ended output to 2 balanced outputs. It makes tingsh much more simple as it allows you to use the numerous unbalanced headphones without the need for an adapter.

It's a practical for sure, but quality is always important. I don't think people would mind paying a bit more to have greater quality outputs.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 217
No

Not in the next 5 years

n/a

n/a

n/a

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #29 of 217

"Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?"

-Yes.  HiFiMan HE-6.

"If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?"

-I am looking for a balanced amp.

"For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?"

-Well, the Eddie Current Balancing Act and Woo Audio WA22 both have dual three-pin XLR as well as a 4-pin XLR (and single-ended output).  I feel that if implementation isn't a nightmare, and you don't have to compromise on sound quality to achieve this, it simply gives the amp more utility and diversity in outputs.

"For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?"

-Once again, if implementation isn't too hard and doesn't affect sound quality, it's an excellent feature to have, and I feel it boosts the value of the amplifier via sheer utility.

"If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?"

-Quality is always the utmost concern.  I'm willing to accept sacrifice of optional outputs if the sacrifice is made in the name of sound quality.  However, the ideal amp, to me, is highly versatile in the different types of headphones it can drive.  I'd be much happier with one amplifier that can drive a cadre of headphones.  So it's definitely a utility thing.

Other thoughts on the ideal balanced amplifier:

-Overengineered.  Over is better than under.

-Versatility.  Make one amp that can drive every flagship well, and you have a winner on your hands.  This is obviously difficult, given different impedances and sensitivities, but the more headphones the amp can support, the better the general versatility of the product.  After all, different people like different things, and the more headphones your amp can be used with, the larger your potential userbase.

-Tubes. Tubes are wonderful.  From what I understand, it's hard to drive inefficient headphones with solid state amps, so I guess we're probably looking at tubes.  *Moar* tubes.  Power, driver, rectifier, whatever you can throw at us.

-Balanced and single ended inputs, to support more DACs.  I would imagine the top-end DAC in your lineup will be balanced, so I would imagine we can put a checkmark in this box.

-Dual single-ended outputs.

-Speaker taps.  Posts on the back would be a welcome addition.  Once again, if it hurts sound quality, forget it.  But if it can be done while preserving SQ, it's a solid option.

-Separate power supply chassis.  Worth a thought.

-Crossfeed.  Some people like this, others don't care.  At least warrants consideration.  Once again, not at the expense of SQ.

-Spike feet! Cheap way to improve aesthetics and improve heat dissipation.

-Cost should not be an object if compromising SQ is involved.  If this is a flagship product, then no compromises should be made.

Thoughts unrelated to balanced amplifiers:

-If your balanced amp ends up being solid state, a tube buffer might be a nice addition to the product line.  That way, people who want tubes don't need to compromise.  That'd also once again open up your product line to a wider audience, as people with non-Schiit solid state amps might be interested in just such a product.

@ Jason Stoddard & Mike Moffat: Keep up the good work, guys.  All of us are looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #30 of 217

Yep, balanced HD800

I think either one is fine, including an adapter or making it an option for customers will be the best.

I don't think single ended outputs are really necessary if you are marketing it as a high end system, since most high end systems go balanced anyway, however, if you are aiming for as low a price point as i hope you are, it might be nice to include that option  for people that are just getting into the hobby to have a reliable amp that they will not have to change after a few weeks.

Well, i have stated my opinions of the single ended output issue above, i must say though, if you guys do it, DO IT WELL!

Well, i hope i win, sometimes i need a warmer sound sig, anyway, i think ANY balanced TUBE amp that u guys make will be massively popular if the price is right =D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back