Sad day: World's largest music collection goes up for auction
Feb 22, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #76 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he could have made at least double from a few US museums/government bodies.

Apparently not...I heard an interview with him on NPR, he had been trying to sell the collection for a while before he hit eBay. The Library of Congress couldn't afford it, nor could any other government institution (so that excludes all the public universities). One scenario he was particularly hoping for was for some wealthy music lover to buy the collection and donate it to the LOC.

At one point, someone offered him $28 million for it, but the "buyer" went bankrupt shortly thereafter.

I'm glad he got his retirement largess, although it's too bad that the greatest collection of American music ever amassed will be living on the other side of the Atlantic. Europeans have often demonstrated a greater appreciation for our music more than we have (assuming the buyer isn't just some large-scale eBay huckster).

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #77 of 115
Seems like he can retire and live large the rest of his life!
Wish the buyer take just as well care of it as he have...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #78 of 115
just looked up the buyer feedback on ebay. He's no longer a registered user (since today, presumably) and he received 1 negative feedback. I wonder if he balked at the $3M after all....

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #79 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just looked up the buyer feedback on ebay. He's no longer a registered user (since today, presumably) and he received 1 negative feedback. I wonder if he balked at the $3M after all....

I saw that too. Wonder if the bid was legit, or some just kid goofing around on his Mom's computer. I suppose we may find out, if the collection is re-listed.

Feb 24, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #82 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious on the revenue generated by his publishing companies and product rights that go with it.

I think that is where some of the true value in this auction may lie, it states that the winner gets ownership of the publishing companies and product rights. The new owner maybe be able to sell those for a substantial amount. The winner could have a real legitimate investment on hand.

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #84 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$3M bid for record trove called fraud - Life - MSNBC.com

Guy who apparently had the winning bid was a fraud.

It seems that the Irish winner's account has been hacked into. But at least one the other six bidders is still interested, and that the sale "is going to happen."

On a side note, I think it was insulting that some US cities/states were offering just $0.10 to $0.30 per vinyl/CD. I could understand why he went with Ebay, but why not hire a few people to sell individual vinyl/CDs for him since I'm sure a lot of them are collectors' item that'll fetch mucho $$$.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #85 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, I think it was insulting that some US cities/states were offering just $0.10 to $0.30 per vinyl/CD. I could understand why he went with Ebay, but why not hire a few people to sell individual vinyl/CDs for him since I'm sure a lot of them are collectors' item that'll fetch mucho $$$.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I had the money to buy that I wouldn't even think twice. You could probably make that money back again just by selling the things you don't like. I can't imagine even the most vague music fan who has that much money passing that up.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #86 of 115
It would be a huge amount of time, effort and money to do anything with a collection of this proportion. Just think about the shipping tasks involved in selling off bundles of this collection.

It would have to be a full time job.

The buyer could also use Audiogon as a means of moving the collection.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #87 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be a huge amount of time, effort and money to do anything with a collection of this proportion. Just think about the shipping tasks involved in selling off bundles of this collection.

It would have to be a full time job.

Exactly. The buyer would likely have to hire a whole team of people to manage it. That said, it's all just money. $3M plus whatever the associated managing/transport/insurance costs won't put a dent in a lot of rich folk's bank accounts, nor would it 'cost' them a lot of time since they'd just put some guy in charge of managing the whole transaction + aftersales management. I'm a little surprised it hasn't sold yet.

EDIT: I see that I have dug up a dinosaur.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #88 of 115
But a good dinosaur
smily_headphones1.gif

I read that he had the opportunity to sell to quite a few museums for up to 3x what he received but he was always looking for at least 10x what they were offering. In the end, when the collection really did have to go, he simply sold to the only bidder willing to commit to buying.

As you say, so many folks have $3 mil that wouldn't put a hair of a dent in their finances. Given this, I am surprised some folks weren't more keen on grabbing it. If this were in Asia, I wonder if that super star audiophile would have picked it up. I think he already has nearly 1 million records...but this collection, so rare and complete...might have been just what he was looking for to be the all out grandest music lover of this age.

If I had the money, I'd buy it, build a wicked storage facility, hire a bunch of graduate musicologists who need some serious cash and have them go through it, and whatever can't be found in a digital format, I'd have digitized and stored in a database. Ideally a good amount of that would be in the free domain at this point and away we are with a massive history of music available for the world to hear.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #89 of 115
I hope the collection stays intact and becomes accessible by the general public.

With my luck, the rich folks who bought it will open up a museum and set up listening stations equipped with Bose headphones and speakers. =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back