Sabaj D5: the DAC that is unquestionably a digital to analog converter
Jun 2, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #48 of 298
how do you like the sound? what other DAC/headamps did you compare with and with which headphones?

So far so good! It is currently in burn-in period. I like the sound signature of D5. BTW, i rely on its amp section and pair with ether c flow. I believe its xlr output with a good amp like thx 789 might sound so well matching with any well know dap/dac at 500-1000 usd as its tech spec shows better results on xlr output. It is really good piece of engineering.

I will prepare a thorough review, if i spare time.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #49 of 298
So far so good! It is currently in burn-in period. I like the sound signature of D5. BTW, i rely on its amp section and pair with ether c flow. I believe its xlr output with a good amp like thx 789 might sound so well matching with any well know dap/dac at 500-1000 usd as its tech spec shows better results on xlr output. It is really good piece of engineering.

I will prepare a thorough review, if i spare time.

So you didn't have any impedance issues like hissing or distortion? I'm shocked. Pleasantly so, because I love mine.

In the last couple weeks I started using the remote, and it makes the D5 far easier to use.

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #50 of 298
So you didn't have any impedance issues like hissing or distortion? I'm shocked. Pleasantly so, because I love mine.

In the last couple weeks I started using the remote, and it makes the D5 far easier to use.

No distortion at all; but i noticed my highs gone half, due to the unmatched impedance.
I can underline it is Still nice product ! Like i said, i am burning it in. I listen only for an hour in total and left it. The dap plays on its own for a while.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #51 of 298
I did wind up picking up the D5 from Amazon. bwcgrx's experience gives me a little pause but it's encouraging to hear that others have been using without trouble.

As a neophyte I'm afraid I don't have a lot to add in terms of critique other than to say that it sounds very nice indeed, as others have reported. But as I say, I don't have too much to compare it to. I have a Dragonfly Red that I use with my PC, which also sounds perfectly good but is no match for the D5, I should think.

I have the D5 connected via coax to a Bluesound Node 2i (itself having ethernet connection to modem). Listening mostly to Qobuz. Can't seem to get higher than 96KHz on the hi-res albums, though that sounds good. Also listening to my own FLAC files from ripped CDs (those all 44 KHz of course).

Sounds great with my Senn 660S, and even better with my LCD-Xs.

Sorry, "sounds great!" isn't much of a review -- but it's sincere! : )
Is it better than internal Node DAC?

And, can you describe how does it sound compared to the Node2 DAC, or what is its general sound signature?

Jun 4, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #52 of 298
Is it better than internal Node DAC?

And, can you describe how does it sound compared to the Node2 DAC, or what is its general sound signature?

Funny you mention that because I wrote a post earlier today touching on just this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/page-4 . The most relevant part to your question,

"I do think the solution to getting very good audio from the Node 2i is to output via digital coax to a better DAC, as others have suggested.

I have the Node connected this way to a Sabaj D5...which features a new ESS 9038PRO DAC chip. All I can say is, it sounds great, both through my speakers and with my LCD-X cans. My setup is very modest indeed by audiophile standards: Node 2i -(coax)-> Sabaj D5 -(RCA)-> Yamaha A-S301 --> Polk TSi300s. Streaming Qobuz Hi-Res over the Node 2i (ethernet connection to modem) with this setup sounds excellent."

So yes, I do think the sound from the Sabaj D5's ESS DAC is superior to the mystery DAC chip in the Node 2i. I listen to mostly Classical/Opera, so ymmv, but I found the Node 2i's analog output to be a bit harsh / strident esp. w/ strings, woodwinds. The D5 overall sounds warmer, less bright. It's not to me a night and day difference, but it's definitely detectable and I wouldn't want to go back to using the Node 2i's DAC after using the D5's.

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #53 of 298
Funny you mention that because I wrote a post earlier today touching on just this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/page-4 . The most relevant part to your question,

"I do think the solution to getting very good audio from the Node 2i is to output via digital coax to a better DAC, as others have suggested.

I have the Node connected this way to a Sabaj D5...which features a new ESS 9038PRO DAC chip. All I can say is, it sounds great, both through my speakers and with my LCD-X cans. My setup is very modest indeed by audiophile standards: Node 2i -(coax)-> Sabaj D5 -(RCA)-> Yamaha A-S301 --> Polk TSi300s. Streaming Qobuz Hi-Res over the Node 2i (ethernet connection to modem) with this setup sounds excellent."

So yes, I do think the sound from the Sabaj D5's ESS DAC is superior to the mystery DAC chip in the Node 2i. I listen to mostly Classical/Opera, so ymmv, but I found the Node 2i's analog output to be a bit harsh / strident esp. w/ strings, woodwinds. The D5 overall sounds warmer, less bright. It's not to me a night and day difference, but it's definitely detectable and I wouldn't want to go back to using the Node 2i's DAC after using the D5's.
Thanks a lot for your prompt and detailed answer. I am really curious of Sabah now, as already Node2 has opinion of a very good DAC. Will have to listen someday definitely.

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #55 of 298
That dark day has unfortunately arrived. To have my seal of approval on a product that zeos also approves is the shame that I brought to my family :frowning2:

But here we are this hunk of garbage person also likes d5

Lol. I agree 100%. Anytime that guy likes something that I like as well I feel icky and want to take a shower.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #56 of 298
That dark day has unfortunately arrived. To have my seal of approval on a product that zeos also approves is the shame that I brought to my family :frowning2:

But here we are this hunk of garbage person also likes d5

The problem regarding this review is Zoes does not attempt to give an opinion on XLR outputs at the back. I believe the most satisfying part of this heavy black box is balanced outputs to amp, as the pair of 3pin outputs offers better SNR, THD and output impedance than 4-pin output does

I had hoped to have seen a combo including THX 789 and D5.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #57 of 298
The problem with his review - all of his reviews - are the scantily clad pre-teens on a grown man's monitor. His reviews are rarely informative IMO.

At any rate, glad to see there is a decent ES9038Pro Dac at a reasonable price out there.

Jun 6, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #59 of 298
The quality of his reviews somehow gets worse. I believe he encourages people to join patreon. What is his point not mentioning even a single word for the output xlr (DAC) of D5? Ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back