Sabaj D5: the DAC that is unquestionably a digital to analog converter
Jun 9, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #61 of 298
Oh you're right, I meant a grown man with drawn cartoony scantily clad pre-teens in suggestive poses. That doesn't sound as bad at all!
I feel your displeasure with that kind of sht, but I feel like this kinda thing is here to stay sorry to say. It seems to mostly appeal/sell to "grown up men" in the first place! I just don't follow Zeos' videos at all anymore, his advice on headphones is sht and on amp/dacs even worse....

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #63 of 298
IMG_20190630_212310.jpg
Got a D5 coming tommorow. My first big purchase in a looonggg time. I'm hoping it's my end game dac then i can focus on end game headphones. I'm using a neat little es9028 dac at the moment.

Well, it arrrived but .... i forgot to buy a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter so can't listen tonight .. :frowning2:

as a side note.. it is larger than i imagined. gonna have to get a new desk

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #65 of 298
there should be one wn the box for pretty much every headphone you buy
i know mate and iv'e had millions of them in the past but not tonight.
Anyway .. Things not getting off to a good start.. the rca line out is very noisey connecting to a pair of mackie powered monitors.
i'm really hoping this is the fault of the cable i happen to have at this time...

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #66 of 298
i know mate and iv'e had millions of them in the past but not tonight.
Anyway .. Things not getting off to a good start.. the rca line out is very noisey connecting to a pair of mackie powered monitors.
i'm really hoping this is the fault of the cable i happen to have at this time...
Go into the menu and change the output from Headphone to line out

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #71 of 298
I am expecting very good scores as regards its DAC portion.

The scores are worthless. The measurer himself does not put much stock in subjective evaluation and cannot hear differences between DACs, even the ones that measure poorly, unless there is something really wrong. Which, of course, is the main point of doing measurements - to check if there is something *wrong*. So the bizarre cultism of following those scores doesn't even make sense based on the logic of the measurer. It's just ranking for the sake of ranking. I hope people realize that if you go through all those reviews and measurements that *objectively* a $100 DAC like a Sabaj or SMSL/Topping gives you the same performance as a $1500 Dac. And that to notice any difference would mean one can differentiate between extremely low noise and jitter numbers - which requires extraordinary proof (again, this is based on the rationale of the measurer himself).

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #72 of 298
I hope people realize that if you go through all those reviews and measurements that *objectively* a $100 DAC like a Sabaj or SMSL/Topping gives you the same performance as a $1500 Dac. And that to notice any difference would mean one can differentiate between extremely low noise and jitter numbers - which requires extraordinary proof (again, this is based on the rationale of the measurer himself).

I'm with this rationale honestly. I mean I loved the sound of the Holo spring NOS DAC. Right now waiting on a TDA1541A DAC to arrive. These are both special dacs that give a colored sound due to design and NOS.

But given a modern, well made and well designed delta sigma DAC? You'd be splitting hairs hearing any difference.

I'm also with the idea that the 126dB SNR Holo spring will sound better than the rather low spec Airist R-2R. Measurements even matter with the more coloured DACs...

Going way off topic of course. But measurements can be very helpful to determine how well a device is made, even if it's meant to sound different.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #73 of 298
The scores are worthless. The measurer himself does not put much stock in subjective evaluation and cannot hear differences between DACs, even the ones that measure poorly, unless there is something really wrong. Which, of course, is the main point of doing measurements - to check if there is something *wrong*. So the bizarre cultism of following those scores doesn't even make sense based on the logic of the measurer. It's just ranking for the sake of ranking. I hope people realize that if you go through all those reviews and measurements that *objectively* a $100 DAC like a Sabaj or SMSL/Topping gives you the same performance as a $1500 Dac. And that to notice any difference would mean one can differentiate between extremely low noise and jitter numbers - which requires extraordinary proof (again, this is based on the rationale of the measurer himself).

I am quite sorry to say you are highly likely to be wrong. For instance, hifi equipments with high distortion can often be assumed to provide wide soundstage. DFR is very good example to this. On the other hand, many claim that AUDIOGD is well suitable source to hd600. Audiogd is very poor scoring device at measurements. If you have a bitch pair of headphones like MrSpeaker Flow, which is quite revealing many thing(bad/perfect audio file, bad connection, low engineered Dac like DFR or low engineered amp like Audiogd), you will immediately notice the difference between them. The imaging capabilities of the headphones is a key factor only at mid range. Hi end headphones are quite source hungry, often regardless of how well their imaging is.

Jul 9, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #74 of 298
I am quite sorry to say you are highly likely to be wrong. For instance, hifi equipments with high distortion can often be assumed to provide wide soundstage. DFR is very good example to this. On the other hand, many claim that AUDIOGD is well suitable source to hd600. Audiogd is very poor scoring device at measurements. If you have a bitch pair of headphones like MrSpeaker Flow, which is quite revealing many thing(bad/perfect audio file, bad connection, low engineered Dac like DFR or low engineered amp like Audiogd), you will immediately notice the difference between them. The imaging capabilities of the headphones is a key factor only at mid range. Hi end headphones are quite source hungry, often regardless of how well their imaging is.
200.webp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back