s9 + Alessandro Ms1 [amplification problem]
Jan 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Icesoul285

New Head-Fier
Hi folks, 
I'm going to buy the Alessandro ms1  by the end of january, but I'm a little concerned about power. I don't know if my s9 will be able to drive them well enough. I saw the Fiio E5 at 16$ with free worldwide shipping (I live in Europe), but I was thinking about buying the E7, to bypass my computer integrated soundcard. Do you think it would be better to wait and buy the e7 in a few months, or to grab the inexpensive E5 now ? 
Also, if you have any other option you believe is suitable, feel free to point it out.
Thanks for you advice.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 6
E9 by itself won't bypass your PC internal sound card. It must be used together with E7 to have the DAC function.

Anyway, MS1 is very easy to drive, so the benefit of getting an AMP+DAC is to bypass the internal sound card, not getting more power (though it helps too). I'll suggest an E7 first, then add another E9 if you want to or stay with E7 if you are happy with it. Another choice will be NuForce uDAC, though it is not portable.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 6
So, you shouldn't expect a lot of improvement from amping MS1 + S9 (since S9 doesn't have line-out fr you to bypass internal amp). The more significant improvement will come from E7 + PC.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 6
I have the MS1i and to my ears, it doesn't gain too much improvement from my E5 amp, mainly just volume increase.  It gains a bit more improvement from my iBasso T4, some clarity and crispness, but still not the improvement other more needy earphones gain from an amp.  MS1i is surprisingly efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back