S:flo2 + Sennheiser IE8:do I need an amplifier?
Jun 25, 2010 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sensui

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,as the title says,I have the S:flo2 + Sennheiser IE8 (16 Ohm impedance) combo and the sound quality is outstanding.
According to you,could I have even better results with a portable headphones amplifier?
Thanks.

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 8
I am not sure about your source but I know I can hear definate sonic improvements by using an amp with my IE8's with my 160g latest gen ipod classic. I am at the moment using Garys PA2V2.

I have noticed a greater sense of atmosphere and space with the amp, without it is a little flat and uninteresting.

I have the NuForce Icon mobile arriving anyday now. I will post thoughts on that when it gets here but by all accounts it works really well with the 8's!

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, when I got the IE8s, everyone was saying it sounds good unamped. Sorry, but not really true. They are really hard to drive, I've used s:flo2, ipod video, ipod touch and sansa clip+, and all of them need to be close to max volume to sound any good. 

I'm considering getting an iBasso T3D for the IE8s. A few people have this combo and seem to think it's pretty good. At least, good enough to tide me over until I can afford a better amp.... :)

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm sorry, but I have to ask.  Why S:flo2 if you need to amp a 16ohm IEM to make it sound good?  I thought S:flo2 would have a pretty powerful headphone amp, but I guess not.  8hourse battery life and needs an amp?  Thats not very impressive.  Why not get a D2+ or something that have a powerful headphone out?  

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 8
Attention,I have never said I don't like S:flo2's headphone out:I really like what I hear with it and my IE8.I am just asking if the already great SQ could be enhance even more.
Which would be the best amp for my combo?
That's all,thanks :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 8
I've got an S:flo2 but with Sennheiser HD25 1 -ii and some Sennheiser CX400 in ear buds. It sounds a little rough in the high frequencies to my ears (only on some tracks), so i've just bought a second hand Headstage Arrow 12HE to see if that sorts out the problem.
Other amps to look out for are the Lisa 111 (it gets some very good reviews), and so does the TTVJ millett portable hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back