S:flo2 impressions thread
Jan 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #3,016 of 3,682

Quote:Somnambulist  
 I use the 'black and blue' theme myself, but it's different strokes for different folks. It's clean and simple, although ultimately none of them change the how much of a fiddle it can be to navigate sometimes

Thanks, I do like the black and blue my self, so I will give it a try once I get my player (still waiting...)

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #3,017 of 3,682
A question, how do you guys get ur computer to access the player? I have connected the player to my computer and it is detected, but I cannot access the player, i.e I cannot manage files or do anything to the player. I'm using vista.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3,018 of 3,682
A simple reset of the player seemed to do the trick... And I spent all that time fiddling around....

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3,019 of 3,682
I don't if anyone faced this before...

I am on 2.3 black and blue theme...
2 nights ago, I left the player charging overnight, and the next morning, when i tried to use the player, all fonts were gone!
So i am like using a player with logos and no words for everything!

I have yet to re-flash the firmware again...
Do anyone know what happened?

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #3,020 of 3,682
I tried out the LO on the S:flo2, and the sound was heavily distorted.
Lowering the volume (via the EQ) seemed to get rid of the distortion.

Is this normal for there to be heavy distortion at high volumes on the S:flo2?
Please advise.

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #3,021 of 3,682

Quote:
I tried out the LO on the S:flo2, and the sound was heavily distorted.
Lowering the volume (via the EQ) seemed to get rid of the distortion.

Is this normal for there to be heavy distortion at high volumes on the S:flo2?
Please advise.

You need to tell us a bit more about how you 'tried out the LO' before we can tell you what is wrong.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #3,022 of 3,682
I tried the LO with and without a sound attenuator (no amps, since I do not own any), and at the default EQ setting, the sound was heavily distorted. With the same settings, the HO had no such problem.

I then lowered the volume via the EQ, plugged my earphones straight to the LO. This time there was no such distortion.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #3,023 of 3,682

Quote:
I tried the LO with and without a sound attenuator (no amps, since I do not own any), and at the default EQ setting, the sound was heavily distorted. With the same settings, the HO had no such problem.

I then lowered the volume via the EQ, plugged my earphones straight to the LO. This time there was no such distortion.

I couldn't imagine you using the LO as a "straight to headphone" source. It's way to hot of a signal (and even with an attenuator, I highly doubt your going to get anything decent sounding out of the Line Out).

Try it with a quality headphone amp, though and you may just be surprised.

I've been using the LO dedicated with an Arrow HE amplifier for a few months now and am tickled pink on a daily basis at how awesome it sounds.

But using the Line Out without an amplifier? Hmmmm, I don't think that was ever the intention of the builders. Also, I don't think the Line Out is all that good with sub par, cheaper headphone amps (think Fiio E5) as I've tried it with such and found the sound to be pretty bad (due to the amps input to the sonics and not necessarily a by product of the Line Out); once I got a decent amp to try with the LO (Arrow), I was sold.

Good luck.

(BTW: S:flo 2 is holding up excellently under some damn abusive daily conditions; I work on the port of Houston on heavy equipment and tanker vessels and what not and my S:flo2/Arrow combo ride around in the front pocket of my Nomex coveralls all day; never a hickup. The backside of the S:flo2 (even with a leather case for it) is getting sort of dented up but I think it just adds character to a device that I've already decided I wouldn't be getting rid of. But functionally, the S:flo 2 is just fine under such conditions. I'm curious to see how long it will last (and am already planning on purchasing a backup just in case I break it; lol).

s1rrah.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3,024 of 3,682

Quote:

I tried the same way once and didn't notice any distortion. Maybe the level is still too high and cause the headphone to distort?

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #3,025 of 3,682

I've tried the LO (with EQ at 'Normal'), and compared it to the HO on the player (with volume turned all the way up to match the volume of the LO).
The LO had much distortion, while the HO sounded relatively fine.
But after using the 'User' EQ setting and decreasing the EQ bands, the distortion was gone.

I think there's either something about the LO jack that's causing this distortion at high/normal volume levels, or that I need to put more impedance in the path (will that solve the distortion?).

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #3,026 of 3,682

Quote:

I've tried the LO (with EQ at 'Normal'), and compared it to the HO on the player (with volume turned all the way up to match the volume of the LO).
But after using the 'User' EQ setting and decreasing the EQ bands, the distortion was gone.

I think there's either something about the LO jack that's causing this distortion at high/normal volume levels, or that I need to put more impedance in the path (will that solve the distortion?).

It's all about your headphones which can barely handle the voltage from LO. Try LO with an amp as s1rrah suggested.
Listening from LO directly will cause either hearing or headphone damage, unless you're using some power consumming headphones like K1000

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #3,027 of 3,682
Quote:

Sounds to me that the voltage is too high for your headphone to handle properly.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #3,028 of 3,682
Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my questions.
I'm still new to this kind of things.

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #3,029 of 3,682

Quote:
Just got this email from Raz today....
 Don't forget that US buyers can purchase from Amazon and MP4 Nation (USA). Buyers in the UK, India, Singapore, Indonesia, Russia and Hong Kong can purchase within your country for Brainwavz and Nationite products. Please visit www.nationiteplayers.com & www.yourbrainwavz.com for local reseller information.
Thank you for your time and consideration
Regards
Raz

I'm in the UK, and clicked on www.nationiteplayers.com and there is no option to buy from the UK.  I find it somewhat unbelievable that a city as important and advanced as Hong Kong does not have a functioning mail service.  Even if the state mail service is experiencing problems (and I find it unbelievable that if they are it would mean delays of the nature mp4nation are asserting), there are other couriers. 

My impression of mp4nation is getting increasingly negative.  I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the lies, excuses and misinformation are inexcusable.  To take customers' money and then not send the product for months (when on the website it states 4-14 days) is a disgrace.  Amazon do not charge customers until they actually send the items.  Why is it so hard for mp4nation to do the same? 

This is what I received today:

Quote:

Fri, Jan 28 2011 5:24pm - Hugo S
Hello,

I regret to inform you that there have been some troubles with the processing and shipping of your order and it will be coming back to us. Due to the upcoming Chinese New Year holiday break, your order will be able to be re-shipped, at the latest, by the 14th of February.

We're very sorry about this. We would like to notify you that when we are able to resend it, we will do so with EMS to ensure that the package reaches you as soon as possible. If this option is not attractive to you, we can offer the alternative of store credit in the amount of $18.50 instead of having your package shipped EMS.

Otherwise, if you don't want to opt for both of the above options, we can offer to include 3 S:Flo2 leather cases for free in your package.

Once again, we'd like to extend our apologies for this inconvenience.

**This ticket will be shown as closed. Please use follow this link http://www.mp4nation.net/support and login to your ticket by entering the ticket # and your email - replying to the ticket will open your ticket. You may then post a reply and our support team will respond to you :) **

So, Chinese New Year lasts 3 weeks does it?  Amazing that a city as commercial as Hong Kong would take 3 weeks public holiday for New Year.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #3,030 of 3,682

Quote:
So, Chinese New Year lasts 3 weeks does it?

No but the added backlog it causes probably does

Quote:
Amazon do not charge customers until they actually send the items.  Why is it so hard for mp4nation to do the same?

Paypal

Just relax and give Raz a break, I think its unfair to blame MP4nation as I beleive the delays are caused by hong kong post which they have been clear about. Hes is also giving you freebies to compensate. I had to wait over 2 months for my sflo2 back in the infamous batch 3 pre order so I know what the waiting is like.  You will have your S:flo2 soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back