S:flo2 impressions thread
Nov 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #2,866 of 3,682

Quote:
Does S:flo2 benefit from an external amp at all ? My IEMs are Senn IE8 and DBA-02. If so, any amp recommendations under $300 that mates well with the S:flo2? Thanks.

One other important point to mention regarding the S:flo 2 / Headstage Arrow amp combo? 

The hardware bass circuit on the Arrow amp sounds significantly better than adjusting bass on the S:flo 2 via it's EQ. Not that the S:flo 2's EQ sounds bad by any stretch of the imagination, cause it does not ... it actually sounds damn good as onboard DAP EQ's go. But it's no match for the (two settings) hardware bass circuit on the Arrow amp.

Therefore, to me the S:flo 2 sounds that much better since I can simply leave it's internal EQ set to "flat" and rely on the Arrow to fill in the low end a bit for me (and no, I'm not a "bass head" so I rarely listen on the Arrow's 2nd level bass boost setting but it sounds just as deep and clean and awesome as the 1st setting; it's a very very well realized bass boost design and I simply can't say enough about how good (and natural) it sounds.

A way to describe the difference between the S:flo's internal EQ and the bass boost circuit of the Arrow is this: if you have ever done any audio production work, recording, mastering, etc. And if you've used both hardware based EQ's and computer software EQ's (like various Steinberg/Cubase/etc. type  software products) then you should most assuredly be able to tell the difference between a standalone, hardware based circuit over one that is based in software algorithms alone ... I can very easily and outside of mastering on my computer (which I do a lot of), I would always prefer to be working with a decent hardware product from Alesis, DOD, Eventide, etc.; it's simply a much better, more organic sound than are the various software EQ processors.

And winded though it might have been ... :wink: ... this is the fundamental difference I  hear between using just the Arrow's bass boost (not sure of the design specs) and the S:flo's built in EQ.  

Just thought I'd add that; sorry for the wind.

Rock it.

:wink:

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2,868 of 3,682
Nov 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #2,870 of 3,682

Quote:
s1rrah listens to sludge metal and is into hacking.

I vote it's a guy.

Of course I'm a guy, silly. My profile pic is my galpal Natalie. "s1rrah" = "harris" backwards. My last name. Damn repressed headphone geeks! :wink:

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #2,871 of 3,682
I get my S:flo2 in the next week or so.. I am so excited..

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #2,873 of 3,682
For anyone interested in picking up a pair of UE triple Fi 10's at a great price, look at the Amazon offer today.  They are selling for about $95 (with free shipping in US). The sale is only for today (11/27/10). 

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #2,874 of 3,682

Quote:
For anyone interested in picking up a pair of UE triple Fi 10's at a great price, look at the Amazon offer today.  They are selling for about $95 (with free shipping in US). The sale is only for today (11/27/10). 

Ummm, a link would be okay ... ???

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2,875 of 3,682
My regrets, After seeing the offer from Amazon this AM, I posted the message.  When I went back this afternoon, they had sold out.  I'm sorry for the late information.  It appears they sold out rapidly...  My guess is though, that several people bought a number of sets to resell.  So like last year, we may see a number of offers on Ebay soon, where you might be able to get a set for a pretty good deal.  Last year, I think Amazon sold these earphones for ~$99 (I missed that sale also), but I was able to get a pair on Ebay for ~$135 (with free shipping)  last year.  So, if your an Ebay shopper, this might be a way to get a pretty good deal.  Again, sorry for posting expired information on the sale today, and I apologize for any confusion on my part.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #2,876 of 3,682
I'm among the lucky ones who could still get the UE TF10 at the price $95.

Now I'm thinking on upgrading my portable gear, which is a Sony NWZ-E436 (it has lower SQ than the A8**, or X-* according to other threads)

I've read through lots of comparisons, and like 60 pages of this thread, price-wise and quality-wise I decided S:Flo2 could be the one, but someone said who owns the TF10 that it he experienced some background noise (edit: not noise - just problems with background separation) with TF10, which was not present with his other gear, I've found the post now, there was an answer to it:
Quote:
In this case, it is not the S:Flo 2's fault. I used to own the UE TF10, and have to say the mids on the UE TF10 are recessed. The reason you don't hear it with your D10, is the D10 amps the TF10 well enough to bring the mids in line with the rest of the spectrum.

Now, I've still haven't got the TF10 (and I'll have to wait for 1-2 more weeks, as I used a mail forwarding service, I don't live in the US), so I cannot say anyting about the recessed mids. I don't have any AMP I could use the the Line-Out with, and I could not afford buying this and an amp as well right now.

How bad is this recessed-mid thing? Should the difference still be night and day (as I imagine it :wink: ) compared to the E436, in favor of S:flo2? Does UE TF10 without any amps go well with the HO of S:flo2?

Also, please note that I'm intending to use this player at my workplace as well - it would be on USB all the time (I guess I can still listen to it as long as it's not mounted as a drive), as there I have only a laptop with builtin soundcard. I'd say I would listen to it (just for comparison) 1 hours traveling, and like 4-5 hours at work (let's say I don't listen to music all the time at work).

Another option would be to just stick with the E436, it might be not that bad with the UE TF10, and buy a DAC+AMP for the price (or maybe a bit higher) of S:Flo2, to use at work (as I spend more time there).

Thanks!

edit2: well, this should not go into this thread, but I could consider Cowon j3 as well - maybe its EQ will be able to fix any problems with mids. The UI itself would not be a problem with sflo, as I'm currently using folder view with my current player as well, altough I fear of getting a defective unit, I read that customer service is not the best .

edit3: and of course I could always just stick to my Sony NWZ E436 - but I haven't heard it with the TF10 yet, and by the time I have the chance, I won't be able to get S:flo before christmas (well, this is not a huge problem, neither is the few $ off pre-order)

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #2,877 of 3,682
Does the SFlo 2 support .Wav files? anytime I try and play a .wav the unit reboots.. .Flacs are fine .. Just .wav.. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #2,878 of 3,682

Quote:
Does the SFlo 2 support .Wav files? anytime I try and play a .wav the unit reboots.. .Flacs are fine .. Just .wav.. 

Mine played Wav fine.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #2,879 of 3,682

Quote:

PCM WAV plays fine on mine.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #2,880 of 3,682

Quote:
I'm among the lucky ones who could still get the UE TF10 at the price $95.

Now I'm thinking on upgrading my portable gear, which is a Sony NWZ-E436 (it has lower SQ than the A8**, or X-* according to other threads)

I've read through lots of comparisons, and like 60 pages of this thread, price-wise and quality-wise I decided S:Flo2 could be the one, but someone said who owns the TF10 that it he experienced some background noise (edit: not noise - just problems with background separation) with TF10, which was not present with his other gear, I've found the post now, there was an answer to it:
Quote:
In this case, it is not the S:Flo 2's fault. I used to own the UE TF10, and have to say the mids on the UE TF10 are recessed. The reason you don't hear it with your D10, is the D10 amps the TF10 well enough to bring the mids in line with the rest of the spectrum.

Now, I've still haven't got the TF10 (and I'll have to wait for 1-2 more weeks, as I used a mail forwarding service, I don't live in the US), so I cannot say anyting about the recessed mids. I don't have any AMP I could use the the Line-Out with, and I could not afford buying this and an amp as well right now.

How bad is this recessed-mid thing? Should the difference still be night and day (as I imagine it :wink: ) compared to the E436, in favor of S:flo2? Does UE TF10 without any amps go well with the HO of S:flo2?

Also, please note that I'm intending to use this player at my workplace as well - it would be on USB all the time (I guess I can still listen to it as long as it's not mounted as a drive), as there I have only a laptop with builtin soundcard. I'd say I would listen to it (just for comparison) 1 hours traveling, and like 4-5 hours at work (let's say I don't listen to music all the time at work).

Another option would be to just stick with the E436, it might be not that bad with the UE TF10, and buy a DAC+AMP for the price (or maybe a bit higher) of S:Flo2, to use at work (as I spend more time there).

Thanks!

edit2: well, this should not go into this thread, but I could consider Cowon j3 as well - maybe its EQ will be able to fix any problems with mids. The UI itself would not be a problem with sflo, as I'm currently using folder view with my current player as well, altough I fear of getting a defective unit, I read that customer service is not the best .

edit3: and of course I could always just stick to my Sony NWZ E436 - but I haven't heard it with the TF10 yet, and by the time I have the chance, I won't be able to get S:flo before christmas (well, this is not a huge problem, neither is the few $ off pre-order)

I personally find that S:FLO2 EQ can fix the mid also... Actually with sflo2 HO, the tf10 mid sounds ok to me...
I think it more of the D10 issue than the TF10 issue, for my case as things got better after i change my cable to ES2 cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back