S:flo2 impressions thread
Oct 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #2,656 of 3,682
Oct 12, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #2,657 of 3,682

Quote:

The S:Flo 2's long bug-list including some lack of flac, windows 7 and windows Vista support does not feel good, I was looking forward to the line-out and all but oh well.
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=16221&start=0
Also this thread put me off a little http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34355&page=3

Cube C30 is totally winning me over now, mostly thanks to the excellent marketing.

I felt the same but took a chance and love it the only thing missing for me is the ability to flick the screen and have multiple tracks folders etc continue to scroll instead of only being able to scroll those visible using the full length of the screen

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #2,658 of 3,682
Quote:
Cube C30 is totally winning me over now, mostly thanks to the excellent marketing.

I hate Cube (and in general, all Chinese DAP maker's) marketing. But I do want to give Cube credit for their firmware team, which is possibility the best of all Chinese DAP maker. I just order a C30 myself, will be interesting to give it a review against Gumtick and s:flo2.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #2,660 of 3,682
I too gave up on it. I am sure the new owner will like it - at least I hope so.

Quote:

The S:Flo 2's long bug-list including some lack of flac, windows 7 and windows Vista support does not feel good, I was looking forward to the line-out and all but oh well.
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=16221&start=0
Also this thread put me off a little http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34355&page=3

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2,661 of 3,682
Quote:
in that case all you need now is that hisound rocco dap ;p

Just read a press release from Cube. It seems the problem between C30 and Rocoo has reached its peak and Cube has terminated all the production contract with HiSound. For those who interested in Rocoo, do try to get one before the stock runs dry. I picked the C30 up thinking to choose the lesser sounding of the two (vs. Gumstick) as part of my burn-in rig, so I don't really need another small DAP anymore.

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #2,662 of 3,682

Quote:
Just read a press release from Cube. It seems the problem between C30 and Rocoo has reached its peak and Cube has terminated all the production contract with HiSound. For those who interested in Rocoo, do try to get one before the stock runs dry. I picked the C30 up thinking to choose the lesser sounding of the two (vs. Gumstick) as part of my burn-in rig, so I don't really need another small DAP anymore.

What is wrong with this company HiSound? A trouble maker? Do you know it is banned from Head-Fi ?
http://www.head-fi.org/user/hisound-uk

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #2,664 of 3,682

I've already decided on the Cube C30, if Jaben are nice to me I'll buy the Hippo gumstick, and if someone can justify the $109 pricetag on the Rocoo-A then I'll buy that one as well,
then I'll be able to compare all of them along with the Sony gumsticks I already have (Sony gumsticks have been my staple portable audio diet for the last few years, alongside a PCDP).

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #2,665 of 3,682
HiSound (I have no idea about HiSound UK, this is about the original) never registered officially with HF. Instead, their marketers logged on as randoms and supported unofficially. That is problem one. Problem two (in my books) is their advertising which drummed up their players as portable amps as well. Each was supposed to flatten the market.

Unless super duper hiss, poor frequency response with low Ω earphones and semi-broken navigation systems are flattening to the market, I am a sceptic. That said, the AMP3 and Studio have good battery life and I still enjoy my AMP3. Versus the Gumstick, at least the AMP3 can browse ID3 tags to a certain extent; I can just drag and dump a load of songs onto the thing from iTunes and they will play in the right order from the right album or artist. 

The gumstick is completely worthless that way; I have to make folders with album names, with artists, with everything and there is NO guarantee that the order will be right. But still, that extra 10-15 minutes of fuss is worth the reduced hiss levels. But come on Jaben, you should be able to let a player in 2010 browse ID3 tags - this thing is worse for navigation than my CD players!

S:Flo also browses correctly and it has pretty big problems otherwise. So I have no idea why the Gumstick is so behind the curve.

Quote:
What is wrong with this company HiSound? A trouble maker? Do you know it is banned from Head-Fi ?
http://www.head-fi.org/user/hisound-uk

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #2,666 of 3,682
The problem with HiSound is that they commissioned Cube to manufacture the Rocoo using the same C30 outer design but agree not to compete in the local market (*China), but still sells Rocoo locally and thus breaches the contract. There are also plenty of trash talk between supporters of both parties so thing got out of hand very quickly. They will do better of they could just spend those time fixing the firmware on their own product.

Quote:
The gumstick is completely worthless that way; I have to make folders with album names, with artists, with everything and there is NO guarantee that the order will be right. ....

There is where a Windows user can find usefulness in Windows Media Player. In fact, for the majority of Chinese made DAP, syncing via WMP is much painless than 3rd party software / drag and drop. Ha. Not much help for a Mac user though
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #2,667 of 3,682
^^ I also use Windows (on a virtual machine), but to have a player that can drag and drop on any machine (BeOS, linux, OSX, Windows) but still not cover ID3 tags is self defeating. Again, it is the only player I've used in 2010 (or since 2007 for that matter) that handles the bare minimum of ID3 tags. I like the sound, but for the price, there should be a LOT more polish. The fact that I can only use it reliably indoors is another major minus. My shuffle is as useful outdoors except that it has 100% uniform control scheme with dedicated volume buttons. These companies are really really missing the boat in terms of overall use. As I said before, there is no reason why in 2010, a player has to be less useful than a CD/MD player from 10 years ago just to play music.

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #2,668 of 3,682
Real 32GB Micro SD card that works with the SFLO:2

Just an FYI the san disk 32Gb micro sd cards came down in price now only 86$ instead of 199$ when they were first released. I ordered this last week and I got it the other day and loaded 30Gb worth of .flac files on it and it works perfectly with the SFLO:2

It's nice to finally have 48GB of space on my SFLO now including the 16Gb internal storage.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WGJYCY/ref=oss_product

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #2,669 of 3,682

Quote:
there is no reason why in 2010, a player has to be less useful than a CD/MD player from 10 years ago just to play music.

This boggles my mind and irritates me to a level I never imaged would be reached before purchasing the SFlo2.  I read all the posts discussing how this player is for users who don't care too much about the usability of the unit, that the UI is actually pretty decent, and that you should just be grateful that such a great sounding portable player even exists at the price point. I am definitely grateful for the sound quality it outputs, but that's where it ends.

I'm actually dumbfounded at the complacent attitude we have here.  It lets companies like Teclast know that they can get away with crap. The UI is absolutely dumb functionality wise. Retrieving a song takes forever.  After SQ, that's all I really care about -- it's pretty simple really -- and Teclast couldn't even do that right.  I'm shocked that there still isn't a firmware upgrade that addresses this issue and allows us to not have to browse by directory. Most of you are okay with this?

Here at Head-Fi especially is what I don't get because I'd expect more of the community to be obsessive about things like the UI of a player since we are all obsessive by nature to even be here in the first place, worrying about how properly are headphones and sources render our beloved music. Not to sound negative, but I wouldn't be surprised at the least if a decent chunk of our community suffers from a slight variation of OCD. Playing around with my old iPod Touch, which the SFlo2 is obviously based on physically and operationally, actually makes me sigh at how easy it is to use. I've never been a fan of DAP's with a bare minimum of tactile buttons (my Touch doesn't even have dedicated volume buttons), but it's such a pleasure for retrieving songs.  Even the horizontal album view navigation is seamlessly implemented.

On the positive side, as I mentioned above, the SQ is indeed far better than most DAP's on the market. The argument people are making on Head-Fi that the Clip+ is actually a better performer than the SFlo2 doesn't make sense to me and my ears. I have a Clip+, which I adore for it's total package as an ultra-portable DAP that sounds indeed high-end compared to most other DAP's, but it's definitely not on the same level as the SFlo2. With my JH16's directly plugged into the HO of each player -- A/B testing and volume matching as best as I could -- I hear a blatant degradation in imaging, soundstage, bass tonality and impact, and the most obvious difference, at least for me, is that the vocals are not nearly as properly rendered, sounding more recessed and veiled. I am so impressed with the SFlo2's refined sound quality that I hardly ever use my portable amp (Go Vibe Petite) anymore, which only gives a very slight improvement throughout the frequency response spectrum.

Hope you enjoyed my rant and praise. I had to get it off my chest. I now know what I'm looking for in a future DAP replacement.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #2,670 of 3,682
update: they THINK my rma MIGHT be done in 2 weeks. but pretty much, they seem to be at the mercy of these "factories" that do work only when they wish and never give a timetable on when something will be done. so even tho they think 2 weeks, thast just a number to appease my emails.  ugh.. i just want this to be over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back