S:flo2 impressions thread
Oct 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #2,671 of 3,682

Quote:

On the positive side, as I mentioned above, the SQ is indeed far better than most DAP's on the market. The argument people are making on Head-Fi that the Clip+ is actually a better performer than the SFlo2 doesn't make sense to me and my ears. I have a Clip+, which I adore for it's total package as an ultra-portable DAP that sounds indeed high-end compared to most other DAP's, but it's definitely not on the same level as the SFlo2. With my JH16's directly plugged into the HO of each player -- A/B testing and volume matching as best as I could -- I hear a blatant degradation in imaging, soundstage, bass tonality and impact, and the most obvious difference, at least for me, is that the vocals are not nearly as properly rendered, sounding more recessed and veiled. 

I hear ya brother.  The Clip+ is great for what it is but I too feel I got suckered into the 'best DAP on the planet' argument back then.  

The thing about the UI though, is because most of us are tech proficient and obsessive its no big issue to make appropriate folders that mitigates much of the UI navigational issues.  I think it really depends on how you like to listen to your music which will determine if the Sflo2 is a match or not.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2,672 of 3,682

Quote:
I hear ya brother.  The Clip+ is great for what it is but I too feel I got suckered into the 'best DAP on the planet' argument back then.  

The thing about the UI though, is because most of us are tech proficient and obsessive its no big issue to make appropriate folders that mitigates much of the UI navigational issues.  I think it really depends on how you like to listen to your music which will determine if the Sflo2 is a match or not.

Yep, I still fail to see what the big deal about browsing by directory is and why some people flip out over it. I already have my music setup by in folders by artist\album\track so browsing for music on the sflo is pretty freaking simple. honestly how hard is it to go to browse by directory, scroll to the artist then the album you want and then listen to the music? I just fail to see why this is such a deal breaker for some?

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #2,673 of 3,682
To everyone who just posted,

I have a Sansa Fuze, and there is no way the sound quality is even close to the S:Flo2. On the Fuze, sound is flatter, less clear, has a smaller soundstage, worse separation and less punch than the S:Flo2, just to name some of the sound differences. I put all my music in folders according to genre, and getting a song is almost second nature at this pount. For the money, I am reasonably satisfied.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #2,674 of 3,682

Quote:
To everyone who just posted,

I have a Sansa Fuze, and there is no way the sound quality is even close to the S:Flo2. On the Fuze, sound is flatter, less clear, has a smaller soundstage, worse separation and less punch than the S:Flo2, just to name some of the sound differences. I put all my music in folders according to genre, and getting a song is almost second nature at this pount. For the money, I am reasonably satisfied.

i agree. i had the fuze and clip and thought the s:flo was in another tier.  as for the folders, during my short time with it, it wasnt very snappy getting to my play all if i remember correctly. maybe theres a more efficient way of organizing things but the individual folders with their artwork is how its on my harddrive so its easiest to just move it over like that.  is there a better way to be organizing this besides going through tens of thousands of songs to get it done by genre (some of which do not show what genre it is)

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #2,675 of 3,682
Until we stop buying the product there will be no major updates/corrections to the firmware or hardware. Unless you can put a hurtin' on there pocket book nothing is gonna change, they will keep producing and we will keep buying. I bought a used unit here on Head-Fi, like it for the most part. UI kinda sucks, but I can work with it. I have DiyMod with an Rx amp, but have been finding my way to s:flo2 as it seems pretty good to my ears without and amp. I don't know how long it will last before it dies, but it seams we are entering and era of disposable goods, instead of repairing we replace, in fact I have found that this is being pushed on society now a days. Bah, enough of this ranting.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #2,676 of 3,682
I bought shigzeo's T51. I can tell you that I am at odds with everyone. I really do not care about the interface. I find it to be better than what I imagined it to be.

First, I must be very used to my fuze because I do not particularly find this player to sound great. It sounds OK, but I find it rather dark. I like detail and extended highs. 
Second, the headphone and line out jacks are loose! The HD25's plug keeps falling out of the jack. It is annoying. Is it this unit's problem or is it like that on your s:flos?
confused.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #2,677 of 3,682

Quote:
I bought shigzeo's T51. I can tell you that I am at odds with everyone. I really do not care about the interface. I find it to be better than what I imagined it to be.

First, I must be very used to my fuze because I do not particularly find this player to sound great. It sounds OK, but I find it rather dark. I like detail and extended highs. 
Second, the headphone and line out jacks are loose! The HD25's plug keeps falling out of the jack. It is annoying. Is it this unit's problem or is it like that on your s:flos?
confused.gif

Wow, dark?  I'm sure shigzeo updated the FW.  Make sure it says 2.30.  My jacks are rock solid, lucky I guess.  Also check the Eq and see if setting it to normal or user flat helps.  Are you using the LO?

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #2,678 of 3,682
kind of dark. I like treble. The FW is 2.20. Does the firmware affect the SQ? And the jacks are solid on my TF10 and I can hear a click once I push the plug all the way in.  I think the T51 does not like my HD25. The EQ is "normal" and I was using the headphone out.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #2,679 of 3,682
update to 2.30. The HO of 2.20 isn't all that great imo (but still better than the sansas), like you I found it too dark due to treble roll-off. Updating brightens things up.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #2,680 of 3,682
I am running firmware 2.30 as well. I am still trying hear my music, so I can't comment but SQ seems pretty good to me.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #2,681 of 3,682
Glad to hear the T51 arrived, George. I updated to 2.20 and couldn't be bothered to go any farther. If it sounds 'better' with 2,30, then that'll be great for George. Personally, I couldn't be pressured by this thing to change my life for a player. That is why I sold it. I just want something that sounds good AND plays good. Hope you like it George.

Oct 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #2,682 of 3,682

Quote:
This boggles my mind and irritates me to a level I never imaged would be reached before purchasing the SFlo2.  I read all the posts discussing how this player is for users who don't care too much about the usability of the unit, that the UI is actually pretty decent, and that you should just be grateful that such a great sounding portable player even exists at the price point. I am definitely grateful for the sound quality it outputs, but that's where it ends.

I'm actually dumbfounded at the complacent attitude we have here.  It lets companies like Teclast know that they can get away with crap. The UI is absolutely dumb functionality wise. Retrieving a song takes forever.  After SQ, that's all I really care about -- it's pretty simple really -- and Teclast couldn't even do that right.  I'm shocked that there still isn't a firmware upgrade that addresses this issue and allows us to not have to browse by directory. Most of you are okay with this?

Here at Head-Fi especially is what I don't get because I'd expect more of the community to be obsessive about things like the UI of a player since we are all obsessive by nature to even be here in the first place, worrying about how properly are headphones and sources render our beloved music. Not to sound negative, but I wouldn't be surprised at the least if a decent chunk of our community suffers from a slight variation of OCD. Playing around with my old iPod Touch, which the SFlo2 is obviously based on physically and operationally, actually makes me sigh at how easy it is to use. I've never been a fan of DAP's with a bare minimum of tactile buttons (my Touch doesn't even have dedicated volume buttons), but it's such a pleasure for retrieving songs.  Even the horizontal album view navigation is seamlessly implemented.

On the positive side, as I mentioned above, the SQ is indeed far better than most DAP's on the market. The argument people are making on Head-Fi that the Clip+ is actually a better performer than the SFlo2 doesn't make sense to me and my ears. I have a Clip+, which I adore for it's total package as an ultra-portable DAP that sounds indeed high-end compared to most other DAP's, but it's definitely not on the same level as the SFlo2. With my JH16's directly plugged into the HO of each player -- A/B testing and volume matching as best as I could -- I hear a blatant degradation in imaging, soundstage, bass tonality and impact, and the most obvious difference, at least for me, is that the vocals are not nearly as properly rendered, sounding more recessed and veiled. I am so impressed with the SFlo2's refined sound quality that I hardly ever use my portable amp (Go Vibe Petite) anymore, which only gives a very slight improvement throughout the frequency response spectrum.

Hope you enjoyed my rant and praise. I had to get it off my chest. I now know what I'm looking for in a future DAP replacement.

I agree, Teclast really needs to make metadata sorting smoother (esp. for FLAC). However, all my music is sorted by folder so I am covered. I believe these issues were covered in a thread on Mp4Nation (Razzer, I think). By the way, to all potential buyers, if you want a good look at the UI, go to youtube. There are multiple video reviews.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #2,684 of 3,682

Quote:
I just want to say I have the Hippo Gumstick now and I'm excited as hell.   Really enjoying my experience with this unit so far!!

So does it  sound better than the SFLO:2 on firmware 2.30? Always looking for better sounding player even though I've been very happy with the SFLO:2

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #2,685 of 3,682

Quote:
Hope you enjoyed my rant and praise. I had to get it off my chest. I now know what I'm looking for in a future DAP replacement.

I did enjoy it. On both counts. Your honesty and, well, "gush" is appreciated.

That said ...

There are degrees of acceptance that folks might feel compelled to agree upon that don't, necessarily jive with all of your complaints.

For instance:

1.  I could care less about library specs, tagging and meta data. I've always organized my, oh, 40,000 track or so, compilation of songs via DOS-like directory structures. I'm old. That's just the way I was brought up. So the S:flo 2, with it's lack of any real library/tagging/playing support? It doesn't really get under my nails. I actually get physically aroused whenever I have to do anything by directory structure (In fact, I think DOsSHELL was my first real gurlfriend). LMAO!  I do dote over tag structures and all ... but that has *everything* to do with LOCAL/DESKTOP listening ... which, even though the S:flo 2 comes close? Is a whole other animal of sonics.

2. Wait? Was there anything else other than terrible interface ? ... Hmmmm?

3. Oh yeah! I will agree with you on this: the S:flo 2 sounds AWESOME! It's like a desktop/home rig shrunk down to a portable. Really, I'm not even (SLIGHTLY!) a portable sort of dude but I'm never gonna get rid of my S:Flo 2 (there, I said it) ... and, in fact, this is in the very same spirit as when I've said: "I'm never ever ever ever EVER gonna get rid of my Havana DAC!" ... (yes, both machines are really ... *that* f'in good!) ... (interface not withstanding but, who is counting?) ... :wink:

4. My major gripe with the S:flo 2? : Since I typically enjoy listening to my Uber Huge and Awesome .FLAC Library(tm) via "random play" ??? I particularly HATE the fact that the S:Flo 2's internal architecture, it's computer, it's rhythm's or whatever the F you want to call it, seem to always repeat the same songs when selecting random play. This is just GHHHHEEEYYYY! Drives me CRAZY!  Random should mean f'in RANDOM!!! Not the same simulation of RANDOM, featuring the same simulation of RANDOM songs any given day that one should select "RANDOM PLAY" ... ... .. DAMNIT! ... LOL.

5. All of the above said and considered? I will never get rid of my S:Flo 2 until it (maybe) gets rid of me. In which case? I will promptly sign up for a new one. Simply because? It sounds almost, well ... 60% as good as my Havana DAC/Raptor AMP desktop set up ... and hey, even considering percentages? That's not f'in bad at all!

Rock it ya'll.

(and quit bitchin so much!)

LOL.

*s1rrah*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back