S:flo2 impressions thread
Aug 19, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #2,296 of 3,682
I use 7dayshop.com for my memory card requirements. They're out of stock of DaneElec at the moment, but have Toshiba 16GB micros for £18.

Just don't send 8 or 9 quid to some anonymous eBay seller in Hong Kong, for down that path lies much heartache and regret.

Quote:
That's cheap! I can't find them any cheaper than about £25 here in the UK via Play.com, everywhere else is £27-30 online at the cheaper places, then it rockets up. My local Maplins was selling them in store for £70!!! I couldn't help but laugh at the sales guy when he told me.

I'll have to have a look at US stores that ship worldwide now, I refuse to pay that much for something that's about the size of my small fingernail.

EDIT - this place has them for £21.99, although they're not SanDisk or Kingston
http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/Memory2Go/Memory2Go-16GB-MicroSD-(SDHC)-Class-2-Memory-Card-(Includes-Adaptor)

EDIT 2 - there's Duracell ones on eBay for £19.99... looks legit. I still prefer $17 though! That's about £11.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #2,298 of 3,682
Aug 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #2,299 of 3,682
Hi
Can someone help me with what headphone synergizes well with s:flo2 (Seems that mine will arrive here tomorrow). I have iMetal iM-590, but was thinking about getting a better headphone. Fischer Audio Eterna v.1 seems good, but it's really hard to find one. Does the RE0 synergizes well? Or should I wait for the new Fischer Audio Genesis or Falcon?

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #2,300 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi
Can someone help me with what headphone synergizes well with s:flo2 (Seems that mine will arrive here tomorrow). I have iMetal iM-590, but was thinking about getting a better headphone. Fischer Audio Eterna v.1 seems good, but it's really hard to find one. Does the RE0 synergizes well? Or should I wait for the new Fischer Audio Genesis or Falcon?

I actually have the same question, I only have re0 and m1.  According to cleos, sflo2 drove the re0 pretty well without the need of a sub $100 amp.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #2,301 of 3,682
Yep, and the new v2.3 firmware makes s:flo2 even more neutral and transparent than before so most IEM will not have any problem with it synergy wise. Thought I will still advice you to avoid any IEM with obvious harsh or edgy treble (i.e. sibilant) as the revealing nature of s:flo2 will just make their weakness more apparent.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #2,302 of 3,682

Quote:

A reader would speed up the transfer, but for convenience's sake I'd just leave the card on the player and transfer using the player. 

I have not tried uploading to an inserted Micro SDHC card on the S:Flo2. Are you saying this is faster than uploading to the super-slow built-in 8Gb memory it came with?

BTW: What exactly is the built-in memory?

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #2,303 of 3,682

Quote:
Yep, and the new v2.3 firmware makes s:flo2 even more neutral and transparent than before ...

Yes, I noticed a SQ boost with 2.3 .... but if you want a real sonic upgrade, AD8620 it! If you don't know how to (de)solder, take it into your local electronic repair shop. My soldering station  and PCs share the same workbench/computer desk. So, with a hot soldering iron ready to go, I can pop the cover off, unsolder the old opamp, and solder in a new one in less time than it takes to perform a FW upgrade.

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #2,304 of 3,682
Quote:
Yes, I noticed a SQ boost with 2.3 .... but if you want a real sonic upgrade, AD8620 it! If you don't know how to (de)solder, take it into your local electronic repair shop. My soldering station  and PCs share the same workbench/computer desk. So, with a hot soldering iron ready to go, I can pop the cover off, unsolder the old opamp, and solder in a new one in less time than it takes to perform a FW upgrade.

Yep, I too really like AD8620, so much so it is in two of my amps (Practical Devices XM3 and 3MOVE). To get the best out of s:flo2, I'll just connect it' line-out to my 3MOVE (dual mono AD8610 actually). Not so portable anymore (not that it is very portable to begin with), but nothing I have can match it - and the new FW just makes it better.

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #2,305 of 3,682

Quote:

So any negatives with the AD8620 inthe sflo:2? Less battery life? lower volume? Does this change the background noise of the headphone out any less or more?

Aug 20, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #2,306 of 3,682
So is there any way of getting the pure and simple themes onto the 2.3 firmware? The black and blue is horrible, never liked those colours together, they look cheap.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2,307 of 3,682

Quote:
Yep, and the new v2.3 firmware makes s:flo2 even more neutral and transparent than before so most IEM will not have any problem with it synergy wise. Thought I will still advice you to avoid any IEM with obvious harsh or edgy treble (i.e. sibilant) as the revealing nature of s:flo2 will just make their weakness more apparent.

I might be enjoying my ER4S less than before.  
triportsad.gif
  Still waiting for my DBA to compare.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #2,308 of 3,682

Quote:
I have not tried uploading to an inserted Micro SDHC card on the S:Flo2. Are you saying this is faster than uploading to the super-slow built-in 8Gb memory it came with?

BTW: What exactly is the built-in memory?

Don't know but I can assure you for the price the internal memory is not of the highest performing NAND.  Increasing write speed in NAND becomes expensive.  Thats why I decided to go for the 2GB and let it run simply for OS processes and keep music to removeable cards.

So the AD8620 is relevant to the HO only correct? 

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #2,309 of 3,682
Quote:
Don't know but I can assure you for the price the internal memory is not of the highest performing NAND.  Increasing write speed in NAND becomes expensive.  Thats why I decided to go for the 2GB and let it run simply for OS processes and keep music to removeable cards.

Yeah, good call on the 2GB ... I feel like a suckered chump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus 
So the AD8620 is relevant to the HO only correct?

Huh? The opamp performs I/V after the DACs, so it affects both LO and HO. (I've never used the HO of this unit, anyway. My own DIY compact headphone amp sounds v. nice from the LO)
BTW, and adding to my laundry-wish-list for future versions of Teclast/MP4Nation devices...
A buffer AFTER the I/V opamp would probably improve SQ further still. This could be another AD8620 or, better yet, a high-current buffer opamp like BUF634 (or even better LMH6321MR).
BTW all you Teclast/MP4Nation designers spying in on this thread. With all this FREE design help we give you, we expect you to follow thru with a really kick-butt evolution of your next release of the S:Flo2 (will it be S:Flo3 ?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back