S:flo2 impressions thread
Aug 18, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #2,266 of 3,682
And the saga continues!

The change in firmware, for me, turned this unit. And for the better. Much better...

As I already said, much of the heavy veil that he had in sound went away. It is still a dark sound, however, this feature helps to build a dramatic sound, it creates a certain atmosphere, which is quite nice. And the best of it is that you get all this feature in their own headphone-out, which remains potent, but very controlled, with a nice stereo separation and a very large and airy soundstage. Definitely a organic and alive sound.

This output was married very well with my Shure SE530, which is surprising, since the feature of this phone is also being dark. And in this case, I think the extra strength of this player helped to "unfold" the sound of this phone, which played on other units (including in my J3), has a too condensed sound.

Another phone who played wonderfully well, even better than the Shure, was the Brainwavz M1. As good as the Cowon J3 + iBasso P3+ setup, with the difference in sound is a little heavier and energetic, less analytical. A true wonder, how to listen to very precise and detailed speakers. However, for the sound possess these characteristics, I had to tweak the equalization in the S:Flo2, as follows:

60HZ - +2;
300HZ - +1;
1KHZ - 0;
3KHZ - +1;
6kHz - +2.

Further, the synergy was not good with my Head-Direct R1, since the power of the headphone-out does not seem to be strong enough to push its 150 ohms.

As the output line-out, I still do not like much. However, I believe the problem is the lack of synergy with my iBasso P3+ amplifier, configured for a warmer sound. He plays beautifully with my J3, which has a more analytical and dry sound, however, did not like the dark and warm sound of S:Flo2.

It's amazing what a simple change of firmware can do...

Cheers,

Peter

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #2,267 of 3,682
anybody else hate the new 2.3 apart from the sound (im not even 100% about that) maybe as mine is one of the first made i dont know but 2.3 gives me slower screen response and my charger bars dont show charging when player is playing ,also looks pretty basic compared to even 1.2.
i think, or hope nationalite will do their own 2.3 soon

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #2,268 of 3,682
Why not use the Pure and Simple theme posted a few page back? Also did you try reset the yet?

Quote:
anybody else hate the new 2.3 apart from the sound (im not even 100% about that) maybe as mine is one of the first made i dont know but 2.3 gives me slower screen response and my charger bars dont show charging when player is playing ,also looks pretty basic compared to even 1.2.
i think, or hope nationalite will do their own 2.3 soon

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #2,269 of 3,682
Yeah, either Pure & Simple or Black & Blue are much nicer than the stock T-51 firmware.

Regarding the prompts for reformatting, up until 2.2 you had to format one way or the other, as far as I'm aware, but since 2.2 an installation shouldn't require it. I had no prompt when updating from 2.2 to 2.3 and just added/deleted some tracks and it's been fine.

Cardozo, good to see the update has improved your listening experience with the player. I hope they keep releasing updates but I'm sure that depends on how quickly it's replaced by a successor.

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #2,271 of 3,682

Quote:
Why not use the Pure and Simple theme posted a few page back? Also did you try reset the yet?

Just for reference sake and even though it is probably specific to my own setup, I had problems with the 2.3 Pure and Simple firmware; for some reason, on the opening menu  (with the square tiles), fonts/ words were presented doubled and in different type faces; I reverted to 2.2 and tried several times but had the same problem each time. So I'm sticking with 2.2 for a bit ...

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #2,272 of 3,682
Quote:
Just for reference sake and even though it is probably specific to my own setup, I had problems with the 2.3 Pure and Simple firmware; for some reason, on the opening menu  (with the square tiles), fonts/ words were presented doubled and in different type faces; I reverted to 2.2 and tried several times but had the same problem each time. So I'm sticking with 2.2 for a bit ...

I would suggest you try backing everything up, then do a completely fresh update (with the firmware tool erase function enable) and see if it gets better. It could be there are some old database left from your previous update that caused the problem.

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #2,273 of 3,682

Quote:

That happened to me to so I just waited till a 2.3 version of black and blue came out and that version looks fine. I like the black and blue second theme ALOT better than the pure and simple theme.

I think the black and blue theme 2 should be the default theme for this player, it looks very professional and works very well.

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #2,274 of 3,682

Quote:
I googled 64bit driver RK28 and there is something. Can someone try that ?
http://www.mediafire.com/?zajyrg3nrr6vy4d

I just tried it, the upgrade went without the problems under Vista x64.
What was used:
1. RK28 x64 driver Vista/Win7
http://www.mediafire.com/?zajyrg3nrr6vy4d

2. RK28DM_V1.22.exe
install, if it's in chinese then in Program files/RK28DM/setting.ini set  Language=English.

3. V2.30 firmware image
Start RK28DM and
press ... to load image, then press update.

Upgrade finally works under x64 systems !!!! :)

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #2,275 of 3,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardozo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And the saga continues!

The change in firmware, for me, turned this unit. And for the better. Much better...

As I already said, much of the heavy veil that he had in sound went away. It is still a dark sound, however, this feature helps to build a dramatic sound, it creates a certain atmosphere, which is quite nice. And the best of it is that you get all this feature in their own headphone-out, which remains potent, but very controlled, with a nice stereo separation and a very large and airy soundstage. Definitely a organic and alive sound.

This output was married very well with my Shure SE530, which is surprising, since the feature of this phone is also being dark. And in this case, I think the extra strength of this player helped to "unfold" the sound of this phone, which played on other units (including in my J3), has a too condensed sound.

Another phone who played wonderfully well, even better than the Shure, was the Brainwavz M1. 

Its nice to see my relative sanity verified by a third party.  Glad you are appreciating the player the way it should be.  Cheers.

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #2,276 of 3,682
Call me crazy, but I'm actually thinking of selling my portable amp now....with the previous firmware, the HO was good but the new one just closes the gap between HO and LO-->RX even more to the point where I don't think I can justify carrying the extra bulk around...and it'd be nice to put the amp money towards a nice desktop setup.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #2,277 of 3,682
I completely agree with you.

The headphone output was the major benefit from this upgrade. And I believe that the use of an amplifier is no longer necessary with this unit.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I'm actually thinking of selling my portable amp now....with the previous firmware, the HO was good but the new one just closes the gap between HO and LO-->RX even more to the point where I don't think I can justify carrying the extra bulk around...and it'd be nice to put the amp money towards a nice desktop setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back