Feb 6, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #406 of 3,682
I did a test yesterday with playing just flac files, i got 7hrs of playback
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #407 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by pxl1500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a test yesterday with playing just flac files, i got 7hrs of playback
smily_headphones1.gif

Out of curiosity what firmware was this with? and have you "broken in" your battery with 4 full charges? No criticism or harassment, just simple curiosity. I haven't done an exhaustive timed test, so I'm real curious... FYI, I'm on firmware v2.00 and confirm worldman's notice of caution.

RE: The firmware:

You're gonna have to rename the folders and what have you to english. I will post more on that in a jiffy.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #408 of 3,682
Hi all,

Here is the info I have gleaned from mp4nation.net's forums, you should refer to THEM as the LAST word, just in case I OOPS or something, so it always helps to double check your sources, before you do anything Permanent, you know? I'm not stating this will be a shoddy post, I'm stating that you are always best to verify things against multiple sources.

That disclaimer Stated. Here's where we start.

1) Prerequisites:

- Windows XP Machine Available. Any Flavour of 32 bit. ONLY. Period. Thats ALL that the Firmware Patching tool works with CURRENTLY. Blame Teclast, NOT ME. Thank you.

- s:flo2 OR Teclast T51 PMP

- Time

- Patience

- More Patience :-D

- Will To Succeed. Rly its not THAT bad, its just not : Click... Progress Bar... Finished. YAY!

2) Open this MP4Nation.net thread:

Nationite S:Flo2 ‘Pure & Simple’ Skin With Video & Download | MP4 Nation Blog

It has a guide, which I JUST found for the new Custom Theme by maderin1 of mp4nation, which LOOKS GOOD!!! and a new guide!! should be much simpler to follow than the ramblings I intended to text out for everybody, so PLEASE ENJOY!!

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #409 of 3,682
How does the sflo2 work with the FX500? FLACVest, you are a fanboy on both, so I assume it works really well?

I'm basically trying to decide on a uDac (likely best sound quality), an E7 (cheapest, but not very useful to me, not going to hook it up to a DAP anyhow so it would be a DAC on which count it is likely beaten by the uDac) or an SFLO2 (sadly no DAC but I travel a lot so a good sounding portable would be brilliant currently I use my Clip+ even when I sit at the desk...)

Thoughts?

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #410 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the sflo2 work with the FX500? FLACVest, you are a fanboy on both, so I assume it works really well?

I'm basically trying to decide on a uDac (likely best sound quality), an E7 (cheapest, but not very useful to me, not going to hook it up to a DAP anyhow so it would be a DAC on which count it is likely beaten by the uDac) or an SFLO2 (sadly no DAC but I travel a lot so a good sounding portable would be brilliant currently I use my Clip+ even when I sit at the desk...)

Thoughts?

Hi buz,

I do like both pieces of gear; the s:flo2, and the HP-FX500...

So I am pairing them for a listen to evaluate them so I can qualitatively answer your question fairly...

Here is the setup:

s:flo2 with Pure & Simple TL-T51 FW 2.00 available from the mp4nation forums...

Equalizer set to NORMAL as my fave EQ Setup on USER EQ may not be your cup of tea...

HP-FX500 with the Head-Direct RE Series Silicone Bi-Flange IEM Tips on them, I find these to fit me best and give the best audio properties to my taste. YMMV, of course. Adjust to taste. Given for honesty's sake.

On to the show....

Well, Im sure you know the specs by know, and if you dont, you should, so I won't bore you with those HERE. Specs aren't EVERYthing but they are a good STARTING POINT. The bit I will point out is that the HP-FX500 dip down to 8Hz in the bass deptartment, and the s:flo2 goes down to 60Hz... Which may leave you scratching your head for a moment.

Rest assured. The WM8740 DACs (dual) and the NXP (Philips) Headphone TDA1308 opamp, for Headphone Out; or Texas Instruments (Burr-Brown) OPA2604 opamp, for Line Out; depending on what you chose to listen with: WILL provide PLENTY of BOTTOM END BASS. More so than any of the other DAPs I have heard to date.

These include specifically:

COWON: D2 Classic, O2PMP, S9
iRiver: iHP120, H140
iriver: E200
sansa: v.02 Sansa Firmware Fuze, and v.01 rockbox Firmware Fuze
RAmos: T11TE

so... I think only the SONY X-series Walkman camp may raise a hand about saying their DAPs may go bassier. And granted the rockboxed DAPs that I have EQ down to 20 Hz.... however, they just dont SOUND as DEEP.

I BELIEVE it to be a HARDWARE thing. I would love someone to elucidate everyone on this issue specifically...

NOW moving forward...

I'll just say despite the numbers, and specs aside, the device and the drivers mate well, and create deep bass. The device is capable of clarity. The drivers are capable of delivering on that clarity and deep tone, and resolving the soundstage well. And the added plus of the wood driver housing, and wood dome diapragms themselves add musicality that is nice. Win Win Win.

Not bad for a portable rig.

Now, the Wideband Output of the Dual Mono config of those WM8740 fed into that OPA2604 is rendered clearly by the very nicely crafted design of the precision FX-500's Driver's and their noted frequency seperation and layering.

I haven't listened to these in a while and not together since buying and trying the s:flo2 with each of my earphones and headphones for a few go rounds. I'm having quite a treat.

I think if you go this route, you will to.

As for the uDAC... Larry the Headphone Addict is quite smitten with the device as far as I can discern for its quality of signal rendering, and I am taking note of that, as I have the utmost respect for his passion and vivid interest in the field of sonic fun. I enjoy his reviews and have learned a ton from him.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #411 of 3,682
Just because the EQ cuts off at 60HZ doesn't mean the player doesn't produce sounds below that. The EQ also only goes up to 6KHZ to but if it did not produce sound above that alot of people would not be praising it's SQ. You just can't adjust freq's higher or lower than that, it doesn't mean the player cuts off at that point

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #413 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassThor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using my teclast T51 on a notebook with Windows 7 64 bit installed without problems???
What's all this fuzz about it only working with XP??

I think the main issue is upgrading the firmware on anything but an XP pc.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #414 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the main issue is upgrading the firmware on anything but an XP pc.

Absolutely correct

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #415 of 3,682
Thanks FLACvest, that sounds really good. I already love the FX500 with my Clip+ but I believe a better DAP would make it shine even more. Or possibly bring some bass to the bass lacking RE0 (whose trebles I really like)...

Back to mulling buying a sflo I guess, likely the more useful device for a nomad like myself. I just remembered I have an old Tablet PC with XP at home
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #416 of 3,682
So did the pre order discount disappear? It's outlined on mp4nation's page but the price in the cart is higher?

Another question: how is channel imbalance at very low volumes? I listen to music most of my day so I cannot afford to listen very loudly or go deaf in a matter of weeks...

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #417 of 3,682
Quote:

So did the pre order discount disappear? It's outlined on mp4nation's page but the price in the cart is higher?

Another question: how is channel imbalance at very low volumes? I listen to music most of my day so I cannot afford to listen very loudly or go deaf in a matter of weeks...

Channel Imbalance? im NOT hearing any if at all.... OTHER FOLKS... PLZ chime in if your units are "disappointing" with some form of channel imbalance so we can all paint a clear picture. I have a First Batch unit.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #418 of 3,682
Quote:

There are a tiny imbalance in the first few degrees of turn, but unless you are using a very sensitive, low impedance IEM like the SE530, you probably won't even notice it since it is so small (well below my normal listening volume, even on SE530). I would think even IEM user shouldn't find it a problem at all.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #419 of 3,682
Quote:

Based on my listening experience with my ER-4, I do not notice any channel imbalance at even very low volumes which I thought was very surprising. This is seldom the case even when using dedicated amps. In any case, my S:Flo2 is from their first batch and perhaps there could be some variance between each items, but even if there were such variance, I would think that any imbalance would be of very low significance. Hardware quality is very very good.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #420 of 3,682
Wow, after reading all 28 pages...it has completely changed my mind of purchasing a Cowon S9.

Given its price, and its flat out winner in SQ, I think I've made my choice as well. Though video playback on OLED, and having flash support, Radio FM and voice recording were all good extras...I think the SQ from this machine seems to really overcome any of the additional features on other DAPs.

As I am a skeptic myself of China's build quality and QC, I sometimes wonder how long these things will last though.

Lastly, is this a good replacement instead of buying an amp yet? I don't exactly understand most of the lingo in head-fi, and audio world, but is this a good presumption from what I've read?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back