S:flo2 impressions thread
Feb 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #436 of 3,682
I just got a second hand s:flo2 but it doesn't work at the moment... i'm trying to charge it as the battery was empty but nothing happens, it only displays this picture
dsc00823f.jpg

When i unplug it from the USB charger it doesn't turn off...
And when i press the reset key on the side nothing happens either...

edit: the reset just worked, i think the battery needed to be charged for a while

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #437 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a second hand s:flo2 but it doesn't work at the moment... i'm trying to charge it as the battery was empty but nothing happens, it only displays this picture
dsc00823f.jpg

When i unplug it from the USB charger it doesn't turn off...
And when i press the reset key on the side nothing happens either...

edit: the reset just worked, i think the battery needed to be charged for a while

GLAD TO HEAR THAT mobbaddict!!! and welcome to the club. Do you need help upgrading to the Pure & Simple Firmware v 2.00??

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #438 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the UI now for the flo2 ? I've been reading a whole bunch of reviews on how fantastic the player is but there is alot of bugs. I just order mine yesterday, can anyone confirm if it comes with thew new firmware?
On the other hand my gf got me a sansa clip + and im actually loving it. I cant wait to test the s:flo2 .

Dont Know about which UI ships with current batch of s:flo2 at present, as i purchased 2 from batch 1, for me and a pal...

but I think the firmware update procedure while cumbersomeish, is OK and can vouch for it working. as I've performed the process 6 times.

I'd be willing to walk folks thru if they get totally stuck. Only requirement is patience.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #439 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GLAD TO HEAR THAT mobbaddict!!! and welcome to the club. Do you need help upgrading to the Pure & Simple Firmware v 2.00??

Thanks, I don't know if i need the new firmware but i'd like to know how to play tracks in the right order...
confused.gif

But anyway they say that the update tool has trouble with Vista so i think i'd better wait
confused_face.gif

Nationite S:Flo2 ‘Pure & Simple’ Skin With Video & Download | MP4 Nation Blog

Right i'm enjoying the s:flo with my Stax rig, sounds pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif
I believe it sounds quite a bit better than my good old Vaio Pocket with LOD : smoother, more impact, bigger soundstage, more detail. Not a day/night difference but well worth 55€
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #443 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

Well i just got a response back from MP4Nation about the firmaware update. I was told that IT WILL have the new update firmware on the 2nd batch of the pre-order.

Maybe you misread or i had mistyped in the reply to you, the next batch will NOT have the new custom theme and i am not sure if the firmware will be V2.0. V2.0 fw has not been officially released so unless it is released officially prior to the production stage where the firmware is flashed, then it will come with V1.12.

Sorry for any confusion.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #444 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by razzer001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you misread or i had mistyped in the reply to you, the next batch will NOT have the new custom theme and i am not sure if the firmware will be V2.0. V2.0 fw has not been officially released so unless it is released officially prior to the production stage where the firmware is flashed, then it will come with V1.12.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks for the clarification.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:49 AM Post #445 of 3,682
Okay so yesterday i decided to play a little game of mine
wink.gif

hpim1304.jpg

Using two identical extension cables i performed a blind test with my s:flo and my Sansa Clip in order to find which one has the best sound quality. Both DAPs playing the same tracks at the same time (320k MP3s for most of them). I paired them with my Phonak Audeo IEMs.

I'll go straight to the point, i didn't expect any major difference based on the short time i spent listening to the s:flo with the PFEs. The s:flo didn't wow me at the first listening, but i did think it had a slightly different balance, as the bass seemed a bit more prominent. I wasn't sure if it was such a good thing as it seemed to affect transparency a bit.
I'm confident about my hearing, for instance i had a Sony E series DAP one year ago and in a head to head comparison it was pretty obvious that my Clip destroyed it in terms of detail retrieval, even paired with the Denon D1001 i had back then. I also think my old Vaio Pocket that i still own is slightly better than my Clip for separation and soundstage.

So here's the result of my comparison:
At first i tried to spot the differences in terms of transparency. After quite a few attempts i admitted that it was a complete failure. I was unable to spot any difference in terms of balance, detail or soundstage. They virtually sounded identical to my ears. Then i remembered that the difference seemed more obvious with some bass heavy tracks, so i played a few Timbaland tunes for fun
wink.gif
And indeed i succeeded a few times in spotting the bass difference. But honestly it was more subtle than i thought. The s:flo has slightly more weight in the lows, but the Clip is far from being bass light with the PFEs, it goes very deep as well. And if you ask me if more bass = better SQ, in this case i'm not sure at all. I may well prefer the balance of the Clip. But again, very subtle.
I also played a few FLAC files to check if the s:flo scales better than the Clip. But again they sounded identical.

So i introduced a special guest into the contest, my 2004' Vaio Pocket. I expected the old person to hold his own against the s:flo. And again i was unable to spot any difference. So i played another Timbaland song and it turns out his music is very efficient for critical comparison because of its dynamics (the Neptunes are great for that too). This time i didn't notice any bass difference, but the soundstage of the VP seemed quite a bit better when focusing on certain sounds, especially for separation, width and microdetail retrieval. I did this comparison 4 times in a row and i succeeded every time: the VP was the clear winner to me. Not bad Sony!

So does it mean that the s:flo desappointed me? No i mean it's on par with the Clip to my ears, which is already great. And i have no doubt that the 40 mw/channel output is a nice plus if you have demanding phones. Stil i'm wondering if the headphone output is really up to the task in terms of quality.

Line out comparison:
I wanted to make one last blind test by listening to my Stax rig out of the Vaio and the s:flo, but the Vaio's line out dock was much less powerful than the s:flo, requiring 50% more volume on my Stax amp. So because of that i knew which one was the s:flo. Yet I tried to forget about the source and to focus on the SQ. By the way I really don't know how good the Vaio's LOD is, i guess it would be at least on par with a Sansa Fuze + LOD.

So it's tough to say but i came to the conclusion that the s:flo was quite a bit better than the Vaio. Its line out seems to have more body, more bass and more impact. It also sounds smoother. The Vaio sounds a bit thin and bass light in comparison. Not a night/day difference but i'm pretty confident that the s:flo's line out is a very nice upgrade and is certainly on par with my entry level CDP, at least. Actually I'm quite impressed that it's doesn't require more power on my Stax amp than my CDP does (only 20%). I'd love to know the opinion of other stats owners because they're always so nitpicking about the source but i believe this little thing does justice to my Stax Lambda.
By the way both outputs were black as hell (i wonder if noise isn't produced by dynamic drivers because i never heard noise from stats).

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #447 of 3,682
Interesting comparison there between the Clip+ and s:flo2. I love the Clip+ because of the sound and the size, and if s:flo2 isn't much better than the Clip+, the s:flo2 coming my way may not stay around for long. We'll see
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #448 of 3,682
When comparing 'blind' two units, you have to match volume or you will get results which do not mirror truth. You could do it first via a soundcard, or via a voltmeter. Both are better than just guessing that the two are the same volume. That said, if the Clip isn't bettered by the Flo to some serious degree, touche.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #449 of 3,682
Yeah but if the volume were not matched i would have been able to tell the difference everytime
smily_headphones1.gif
I paid attention to that. Plus i had to pump up the volume when listening to classical so that's a lot of if...
And I'm pretty confident that the Vaio has a better separation than both players, it's no surprise to me.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #450 of 3,682
I am not supporting one player over another, but matching volume doesn't mean putting them to the same level and comparing with your ears. A volume isn't matched till it puts out the same voltage or has been matched via parallel input into a recording device (soundcard). Even one decibel can result in sounding like more dynamic or better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back