S:flo2 impressions thread
Jan 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #243 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangamonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of cable interconnect do ya'll recommend for the line out to a high end desk amp/headphone amp? Since it plays FLAC, I'd like to use it as my source with the Hat Peed Thingee when it arrives.

If you are talking about either a desktop amp or desktop headphone amplifier, I am assuming that you would want RCA jacks for connection to this amp. Then, you will need a Y-cable with a male 3.5mm jack on one side and dual RCA jacks on the other. If the length is long (>0.5m), then I would recommend that you use a well shielded cable to minimize interference from getting introduced to your signal. Since your preferred music file format is lossless FLAC, I think using cable with either full or partial silver content will be beneficial since the majority of people agree that silver is very good in bringing out the accuracy in your music, and that is the reason why one would listen to FLAC in the first place.

If the headphone amp you are referring to is a portable one, then you are probably thinking of using a very short (<15mm) mini to mini cable. In that case, any good quality cable should suffice, but this is a matter of personal taste.

Just my little 2 cents...

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #244 of 3,682
Quote:

Mine left HK on the 12th...hope it gets here today!!! Highly unlikely though
frown.gif

For those of you waiting to order, Feb 10th is when the new batch will be avail.

From the MP4nation site:

"The 8GB is out of stock and the 16GB will probably be out of stock by tomorrow.

We will have 2GB, 8GB and 16GB back in stock by feb 10th."

I understand how you feel, hang in there bro.

I got my s;flo2 today
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound quality is as others have already described and i can only add to saying that it is indeed is very good.
k701smile.gif

So far i haven't had any crashes or any other problems with the player
k701smile.gif
k701smile.gif
k701smile.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #245 of 3,682
Quote:

Mine left HK on the 12th...hope it gets here today!!! Highly unlikely though
frown.gif

For those of you waiting to order, Feb 10th is when the new batch will be avail.

From the MP4nation site:

"The 8GB is out of stock and the 16GB will probably be out of stock by tomorrow.

We will have 2GB, 8GB and 16GB back in stock by feb 10th."

Ordered mine on the 13th, until today I haven't got any confirmation that they shipped it. Hope mine hasn't been bumped to the 10th of feb
frown.gif

How long did it take for them to ship once you ordered?

EDIT: nvm. got a reply from them saying that the stock is indeed finished. They're offering some free goodies to compensate since the price is lower than when I ordered, so a very nice gesture from them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #248 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long is the warranty for the S:flo2? I can't find the information... also, anybody has an idea of the reliability factor? I have an opportunity to buy a used one but with no warranty
confused_face_2.gif

Good question. for the extraordinary heating is a potential risk for the components. it is common sense that heating can fastly make the electronic parts aging.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #249 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. for the extraordinary heating is a potential risk for the components. it is common sense that heating can fastly make the electronic parts aging.

I think 'extraordinary' is a misleading word. No doubt it is a bit hot compared to typical DAP, but I have measured the temperature several times and it goes only as high as around 40°C (in a fairly sealed tropical environment), which is still well with in normal operation temperature of electronic components. You will get more heat damage from a cellphone placed on top of a sealed car's dashboard under direct sunlight in a hot sunny day.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #250 of 3,682
Thanks for the heating information, i didn't know that.

I found out about the warranty:

Quote:

Warranty On Media Players's:

All media players, regardless of brand or model, come with a standard 12 month warranty against defects in workmanship. Please note that the warranty only covers defects in workmanship, any end user related damage, regardless of how long you have had the player, is covered in the warranty.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #251 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are talking about either a desktop amp or desktop headphone amplifier, I am assuming that you would want RCA jacks for connection to this amp. Then, you will need a Y-cable with a male 3.5mm jack on one side and dual RCA jacks on the other. If the length is long (>0.5m), then I would recommend that you use a well shielded cable to minimize interference from getting introduced to your signal. Since your preferred music file format is lossless FLAC, I think using cable with either full or partial silver content will be beneficial since the majority of people agree that silver is very good in bringing out the accuracy in your music, and that is the reason why one would listen to FLAC in the first place.

If the headphone amp you are referring to is a portable one, then you are probably thinking of using a very short (<15mm) mini to mini cable. In that case, any good quality cable should suffice, but this is a matter of personal taste.

Just my little 2 cents...

Thanks for the info. I purchased a couple mini to rca cables over weekend. I have a question though. Will an RCA male to male produce better audio compared to using a mini to rca cable? I've always wondered about this.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #252 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkchaser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered mine on the 13th, until today I haven't got any confirmation that they shipped it. Hope mine hasn't been bumped to the 10th of feb
frown.gif

How long did it take for them to ship once you ordered?

EDIT: nvm. got a reply from them saying that the stock is indeed finished. They're offering some free goodies to compensate since the price is lower than when I ordered, so a very nice gesture from them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to hear that! I guess I purchased one of the last units. I ordered mine on the 7th and was shipped out on the 8th.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #253 of 3,682
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I purchased a couple mini to rca cables over weekend. I have a question though. Will an RCA male to male produce better audio compared to using a mini to rca cable? I've always wondered about this.

I asked the same question on the Stax thread... see the answer
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6292387-post12429.html

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #255 of 3,682
OK, so my s:flo2 came in today. Hehe, it's quite funny how amazing this DAP is. I was totally not expecting it...I bought it for it's sound quality, and this is the best SQ I've heard from any DAP or DAP/Amp combo. It's better than my nuforce/amp2 pro2 combo...by quite a margin. I haven't burned in the player, but I'm having a hard time believing that it will sound any better than it already is.

First, the amp on here is phenomenal. The sflo2 drives my D2000's amazingly! I had doubts at first driving these cans. It pairs so much better than with my nuforce (the nuforce mobile and d2000 are known to pair well). The dynamics and depth are really nicely defined and layered and I'm catching myself listening to my music wayyy to loud on the sflo2, which is good. (but bad for my ears I'm guessing)

I heard quite a few complaints about the interface...twitchy, unresponsive. Although I have only had it for around 6 hrs now, I have yet to see this. I like that I can tweak the interface. There's a bunch of options. Touch screen is plenty responsive for what I intend to use it for...music listening. The volume wheel is a god send. I LOVE it. It's not overly sensitive, which is perfect.

It looks sexyyy. IMO, it's the best looking DAP on the market. It's extremely slick, sleek and modern. The only physical parts are the power button and the volume wheel. Well done! Screen is big big and the red led within the power button is very '2001 Space Odyssey'.

I'm not much of a reviewer, but I know what I like, and this is it. If I were to say one thing about the sound quality that I like the most is it's presence. The music has a monolithic presence and sound is translated to my cans with authority. Friggin amazing.

I had a sexy photoshoot with my sflo right before writing this...enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

img0008xi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back