S:flo2 impressions thread
Dec 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #106 of 3,682
to me the battery life isnt an issue ,used it last night and it didnt go off full (screen on dimmest setting) but i tend to use it in the house so i can just plug it in while i listen same as i do with my amp if i need to, if i do need to go portable for over 8 hrs (as some of my coastal walks are) its back to the cowon

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #107 of 3,682
I estimate I should get 6~7 hours of battery on music (haven't done a full battery test yet). Obviously it depends on what kind of codec and bitrate the music files are. The more complex (like lossless) will eat up battery much faster than 128kbps. Mine are mostly 320kbps mp3 and some high bitrate wma. If you stick to 128 or 192 kbps, I would imagine you might get over 8 hours.

Anyway, an interesting observation is that the headphone-out and the line-out are operating independent of each other, so you can use them together if you want to. My guess is that is one of the reason why battery burns so fast (coupled with the fact that it has a very demanding opamp on the line-out which probably requires stepping up the voltage and generate quite an amount of heat in the process). For those who do use line-out, remember to turn the headphone-out volume down to zero, which likely to give a slightly better battery life even if the HO is unloaded.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #108 of 3,682
hmmm.... reminds me of my old ipod 3G where you can also use LO & HO at the same time...

battery life sucks pretty bad too... around 8-10 hours...

but since its SQ is quite good via LO, it is worth it...

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #109 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who do use line-out, remember to turn the headphone-out volume down to zero, which likely to give a slightly better battery life even if the HO is unloaded.

I use the line-out most of the time, and I make it a rule of turning the headphone out volume level to its lowest point exactly for that reason. Good point!

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #111 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by cha_indian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can a HDD be connected to this thing to store all the media ??

No, it can't. S:Flo2 is flash memory based.

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #112 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the line-out most of the time, and I make it a rule of turning the headphone out volume level to its lowest point exactly for that reason. Good point!

Is line-out volume adjustable? I read mixed info out there.

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #113 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is line-out volume adjustable? I read mixed info out there.

No. It's unadjustable and LOUD!!

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #115 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can it be charged through the usb?

Follow up question, can it play while charged?

Thanks!

It charges through USB. Unless you have a lousy laptop from year 1999 that does not give enough power through the USB ports you'll be just fine.
wink.gif

It plays during charge, but you have to "safely remove" it (Windows XP, Vista, 7) if you want to play music or movie while chargeing. I don't know how this works on Mac & Linux but I'm guessing it's the same.

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #117 of 3,682
How's the on-the-go-playlist? It's a must have for me.

One thing that's keeping me away from purchasing this (yet) is that it cannot read Korean or Japanese characters (It can ONLY read Chinese & English)

It can read Chinese... which has many more characters to input than both Korean & Japanese combined; I have no idea why they didn't do it.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #118 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by drgnfang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone try with PK1? Can it drive them without an amp?

If you are asking how well the HO drives PK1, I would ask as good as, if not better than most sub-$100 portable amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the on-the-go-playlist? It's a must have for me....

There isn't any on-the-go playlist. I think at this point we can establish that Teclast isn't very good with firmware.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #119 of 3,682
Here are pictures of the back of the S:Flo2 as well as its bottom side. The green output jack is the dedicated line-out and is not controlled by the S:Flo2's volume knob because it is directly fed from the dual Wolfson DACs. To control the volume, you must use the black output jacks (headphone out).

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #120 of 3,682
I just like the fact that the battery should be user changeable, IF an appropriate upgrade in the correct dimensions is located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back