S:flo2 impressions thread
May 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #1,276 of 3,682

Quote:
Which was one of the reasons I got the T4 when I used an iPod Nano :)
If you want to keep size small you should look at the RSA Amps if the "rsa house sound" is something you are interested in. 
I'm sure this was posted earlier but what kind of player are you using? 

Just ordered the s:flo2...was using my blackberry 8900 but it's pretty terrible as a music player

edit: Checked the RSA website and they ship via Fedex...which means I'm going to get raped in duties and brokerage fees because I live in Canada. The last time I used Fedex, a $220 purchase turned into a $300 purchase, so I'll probably avoid RSA unless I buy off the F/S forum.

May 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #1,277 of 3,682
uh... sorry to tell you this. T3 sounds better to my ears with my Grados and UEs. While reading reviews and impressions are helpful for guessing how things sound. Always remember hearing things for yourself is an absolute must.

May 24, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #1,278 of 3,682
iBasso are a great company and so are MST audio who will be releasing a smaller version of the FiQuest - which rocks. 

Anyway, got my old ER4S back (finally) and got to say that it is in love with the S:Flo - match made in heaven. I'm not going to say it drives it any better than my other players, though it has more headroom on the volume nob, but its sound mates very well with the 100ohm earphone.

May 25, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #1,279 of 3,682
damn, im in a dilemma now, i heard the radius at a hk shop yesterday and it sounded great; the bass was so full... now im wondering should i get a new source flo2/teclast t51 or should i get a new earphone, the radius? D:

My current source is an ipod touch 1g and i still really love my coppers, though the radius sounds kind of better.

Would ipod touch 1g + radius sound better or sflo/teclast + copper sound better? 

May 25, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #1,282 of 3,682
Well, since I have both players and the DDM, I can maybe chime in. I don't agree that the Teclast T51 sounds 'better' with the DDM; it does get louder and has a strong bass presence, but the touch has an overall more even flow with the DDM. That said, the Touch 1G is trading bass presence for the smooth Wolfson sound and the Teclast goes smooth with some loss of goodness up top.

Neither are really perfect for the DDM. The touch 1G will hiss a little more than the Teclast, but not too much. I'd take the Teclast with the ER4S for instance, or the W3, but not for the DDM which benefits from that little extra sparkle up top.

May 25, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #1,283 of 3,682
Thanks for the feedbacks, guess i will start looking for the teclast t51 during my trip in China. If the teclast tames the highs, it might work great with my copper.

May 25, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,284 of 3,682
Do you find the Copper harsh? Wow - then the Teclast is the DAP for you... but that is the first time I've heard that. 

EDIT: you could also save 200$ and just turn the treble reducer setting on with the iPod - voila! tamed treble. Listen, there are certain areas where the Teclast is outstanding, and certain areas where it is disappointing. If you have the money and absoutely need to buy a new machine, I'd hate to stop you, but to be very honest, a volume-matched test between many players (I've tested with several individuals including myself) reveals minute differences. You can expound about them, one being dreamy and another being metallic, or one being so lush and warm, and the other so neutral, but in the end, the differences are largely sighted, or fuelled by something else.

My immediate reaction to the Teclast was "this is smooth; it has very little hiss; there is a pretty nice stereo image" and it hasn't changed. But I would in no real way consider it another step up or down.

Where it rocks is the LO - you don't need to fuddle with expensive cables, thanks to the maker. But, remember Line Out doesn't always mean good quality. The Teclast T51 has a good line out, but I've used horrendous line outs that are line out only in name - otherwise, they are inferior to the headphoen out in every way.

May 25, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #1,285 of 3,682
Hmm the copper doesn't really sound harsh; on a handful of songs, the highs might get a bit too much for me, but still the highs are really smooth. Not harsh or fatiguing at all, just that i prefer my music more focused on highs and more on mids and bass. 

Hope the teclast might work out with my tf10 as well since the highs on the tf10 are really fatiguing. Haven't been using the tf10 since i got my coppers...

EDIT after reading your edited post: Don't really think treble reducer might work out for me since i just want a bit less highs :p And somehow to me, eq settings for the ipod sounds horrible other than Jazz, but i think Jazz just boost the highs and makes the mids more recessed. Either way getting the teclast in China is cheaper, might be able to get it for less than 100 USD if i bargain xD

May 25, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #1,287 of 3,682
yea thanks, i saw a teclast selling for about 115 usd, or more.. don't remember, at the same shop where i tried the radius, but was told by my friend that it might go for cheaper in China. So i will have to start cruising around those computer centers for the teclast.

Also to add, reading through this thread, i hope and think the teclast would expand the copper's soundstage, since i find it lacking in soundstage width.

May 25, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #1,288 of 3,682
It won't 'expand' anything, but it does hold up well under load - very well. There is very little difference between a no load and loaded run - both sounding very clear. But the touch 1G, other than hiss, is also very clear. What may help the Teclast in relation to the touch 1G is that thanks to its decent output, it doesn't roll off bass, so the feeling of dynamics and impact are better. 

That said, the sparkle is also less. Between the two, the Coppers don't have a clear winner, but the Teclast does sound more powerful, in part, thanks to its good bass performance. Moving up to the iPod touch 2G, however, is another story - one that isn't so easily answered. 

May 25, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #1,289 of 3,682

Quote:
uh... sorry to tell you this. T3 sounds better to my ears with my Grados and UEs. While reading reviews and impressions are helpful for guessing how things sound. Always remember hearing things for yourself is an absolute must.

I guess I'll just wait till it comes and see for myself if I'm satisfied with the sound from the headphone out. I'm not really an audiophile as you can tell, I just want a nice sounding setup for when I'm bored on campus. I do appreciate all the input though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back