S:flo2 impressions thread
May 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #1,246 of 3,682

Quote:
Teclast have not really listed anything as their info on their firmware relases is pretty bad.
the only they said about 2.2 is "fix issue in previous firmware"

So far we know

*Library updates happen alot less often now when looking through the audio library. Seems to only happen once and then cache's until a major change is done

*Resume feature is working correctly on video

*Background noise when the screen is on or during the first 10 and last 10 seconds of a track has been greatly reduced

* if you set your text scrolling speed to 1 touch scrolling and touch gestures or ALOT smoother and not jerky.

Wow, thanks for that great rundown. I'll definitely be upgrading to 2.2 when mine arrives 
smile.gif

May 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #1,248 of 3,682
This is probably more a reflection on my poor sources than how great the s:flo2 is, but it's awesome to be able to listen to some of the dubstep mixes I have and it actually portray the crazy bass properly. My old Sony just cut off below a certain frequency, so some stuff you either just didn't hear or got the merest impression of, the iPhone sort of presented it but it was like it was giving me half the picture, no authority either. With this I actually get the notes in the basslines, not just wob-wob-wob, and it goes deep enough to do the genre justice haha. Look forward to using new IEMS with this at some point. I'm only a bit of a basshead. btw*

*Dubstep is a wet dream if you're obsessed with low-end. Go check out a NumberNin6 or Excision mix, that'll rattle your teeth.

May 21, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #1,249 of 3,682
Bought an iBasso T3 used and it came today. Paired it with the SF2 and I think the line out might even sound better than HP out, using Fischer DBA-02s. Need to do more listening, though. Need some quiet time to listen more critically.

May 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,251 of 3,682
Cool. Been looking to hear more people's impressions with amps, although I'm more specifically interested in people using the Headstage Arrow with it, seeing as it looks like a quality amp that's truly portable and has some great features (such as the gain settings, which will be a must for that LOUD line-out).

May 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #1,253 of 3,682

Quote:
Cool. Been looking to hear more people's impressions with amps, although I'm more specifically interested in people using the Headstage Arrow with it, seeing as it looks like a quality amp that's truly portable and has some great features (such as the gain settings, which will be a must for that LOUD line-out).

I just could not spend $250 for the Arrow, so I settled for the T3. But even so, it really does sound great to me, more dynamic or something. Could be placebo, so I need to do more listening with and w/o the amp. But I think it is better, on first impressions. I too would love the Arrow ... someday.

May 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #1,254 of 3,682

Quote:
In terms of raw output power, the S:Flo is a little more powerful than some players on the market, but its HPO and LO perform a bit differently. They are both good, but then again, their differences are somewhat perplexing. What you get for the money is a LO which is great to spit to audio hardware - thank you Teclast. But, you also get a pretty good HPO. It isn't the best, but it is very good. I'd say that for the money, there isn't a real competitor for those. If Apple had their line out wired to an actual port rather than the 30-pin, it would be a toss up, but the S:Flo drives low Ω earphones really really well. Maybe the Clip/Fuze are the only competitors for that. It hisses more, but it's not too bad. 

Good hardware, lousy size/implementation.

You guys are funny!!!  That you will listen to any "hiss" from IEMs or buds is extremely unblieveable to me. It's unacceptable for me to listen at anytime to euipment generated noise. The recordings I listen to all have at least some portions of silence (if only for a second or two)where a very low noise floor makes the sound special. I'm a little dissapointed that a product like this does'nt have support for wav files, as it supports removable music storage! Oh well, it still sounds worth a try for me (as my Korg MR1 has developed some operational quirks)   

May 22, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #1,255 of 3,682

Quote:
You guys are funny!!!  That you will listen to any "hiss" from IEMs or buds is extremely unblieveable to me. It's unacceptable for me to listen at anytime to euipment generated noise. The recordings I listen to all have at least some portions of silence (if only for a second or two)where a very low noise floor makes the sound special. I'm a little dissapointed that a product like this does'nt have support for wav files, as it supports removable music storage! Oh well, it still sounds worth a try for me (as my Korg MR1 has developed some operational quirks)   

Not to knock shig but I have noticed he is super hyper sensitive to hiss in a player. Most people wouldn't notice the hiss he hears on most players but even him being hyper sensitive to hiss does not mind the hiss on the SFLO:2. Me personally I hear no actual player produced hiss on the it.

Also .wav support is really not needed and is a relic.

.wav files do not support ID tagging and are much bigger than .flac files even though both file types are completely lossless. You can simply take your .wav fiels and transcode them  to .flac

I only listen to lossless audio but even I think .wav files are a huge waste of  space and offer no advantage over .flac at all.

May 23, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #1,257 of 3,682
anyone tried the sflo with the copper yet? Kinda curious how does it sound with the copper, or does it sound good with all iem/headphones? 

And im an absolutely newbie with sources but is there any possibility to run a laptop's audio through the sflo, using it as a DAP? 

May 23, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #1,258 of 3,682

Quote:
I just could not spend $250 for the Arrow, so I settled for the T3. But even so, it really does sound great to me, more dynamic or something. Could be placebo, so I need to do more listening with and w/o the amp. But I think it is better, on first impressions. I too would love the Arrow ... someday.

I thought the sflo2's output impedance was too high for use w/ the Arrow (at least I thought I saw that somewhere)...

May 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #1,259 of 3,682

Quote:
I thought the sflo2's output impedance was too high for use w/ the Arrow (at least I thought I saw that somewhere)...

It would be nice if we could come up with a list of portable amps that worked well with the SFLO:2

I'll start in saying I love the XM5 but the LO is just to loud for this amp.

May 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #1,260 of 3,682
Loudness not a problem with the T3, so that would be one for the list. Of course, I keep both gain switches turned off. I would not include the T3 in the same category as the Arrow or XM5, I don't think, in terms of overall SQ, but it sounds very good when matched to the SF2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back