S:flo2 impressions thread
May 20, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #1,231 of 3,682

Quote:
I managed to get through the entire upgrade process with the great help of the Nationite forums, and am now at 2.2 The upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2 is not supposed to require a format, but when I did it, my Win7 PC asked for a reformat. My player was already emptied from the previous FW upgrades, so no problem. I used Mandarin1's pure and simple UI version of 2.2, which is fantastic and easy to do. I had trouble with the 2.2 FW file that was listed on his update page, so he suggested trying his version. It worked and it's a nice UI.

That's cool, you may be one of the few people to get the upgrade to work on Win7. They also said vista was not supposed to work but it works great on my vista PC.

May 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #1,232 of 3,682
Updateddddddd! 2.2 with Style 2 looks sexy and the font looks waaaaaay more professional. Very happy. Just putting stuff on now; as I'll be browsing by directory it's a piece of cake since I'm neat with folders and stuff. Will comment on the SQ (i.e. less prominent ticker-noise when screen is on) later.

The update was super easy... once I'd got the device in USB mode. :)

May 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #1,233 of 3,682
Here is something I just realized, so in the settings I had text scroll speed set to 4 thinking that faster scroll speed would make the touch screen faster and smoother.

Way wrong, I was using that setting and scrolling through artists to get to songs was a bit of a pain.

On a whim I set the text scroll speed to 1 and now things are ALOT smoother. The touch screen commands and swipes actually feel more smooth and ipodish now so when browsing by directroy and scrolling through artists it is not a huge pain anymore.

This is on the 2.2 firmware.

May 20, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #1,234 of 3,682
Good to know, changing mine now. One question: The 2.2 UI doesn't change the structure at all right? Still not alpha listed and still file name, not track title, right? At least mine is still there. Also, is it easy to add/remove themes with 2.2, or are you stuck with what comes with the version of 2.2 installed? Example: I have the Pure and SImple UI now. Can I change it to another style? I guess I have to check my settings, huh?

Okay, back and I guess I have the two main styles, 1 and 2. And yes, 2 is best in my view. Very nice.

As for scrolling, I have sweaty hands, so no settings work all that great. I wish it had external buttons too, but no matter, the SQ is divine.

May 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #1,235 of 3,682
Btw the previous owner told me that the mini-USB could be tricky to get in, and not to force it. Well, it IS if you try and insert straight on, but I found it goes in super easy if you just (and this is holding the player screen up) aim the mini-USB down at an angle initially to get it in the slot, then straighten out as you push it in and make the connection.

Charging now, better do some work then I can get listening later!

May 20, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #1,236 of 3,682

Quote:
Here is something I just realized, so in the settings I had text scroll speed set to 4 thinking that faster scroll speed would make the touch screen faster and smoother.

Way wrong, I was using that setting and scrolling through artists to get to songs was a bit of a pain.

On a whim I set the text scroll speed to 1 and now things are ALOT smoother. The touch screen commands and swipes actually feel more smooth and ipodish now so when browsing by directroy and scrolling through artists it is not a huge pain anymore.

This is on the 2.2 firmware.

It's charging but I'll try that next, I too had it set to 4.

Quote:
Good to know, changing mine now. One question: The 2.2 UI doesn't change the structure at all right? Still not alpha listed and still file name, not track title, right? At least mine is still there. Also, is it easy to add/remove themes with 2.2, or are you stuck with what comes with the version of 2.2 installed? Example: I have the Pure and SImple UI now. Can I change it to another style? I guess I have to check my settings, huh?

It's exactly the same. I made sure all the file names are numbered, so it's:
Folder (artist) -> Folders (albums) -> Tracks (01 - Intro, 02 - First Song)

I need to download that Fat32 sorter because even browsing by directory the Artists are all in the order they were put on the player in, It's..... here: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

If you want another theme, I think you have to basically go through the same process of 'updating the firmware again. You'd be going from 2.2 to 2.2, but just with a different IMG file; in this case from Pure and Simple to Black and Blue (style 2!).

May 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #1,237 of 3,682

Quote:
Btw the previous owner told me that the mini-USB could be tricky to get in, and not to force it. Well, it IS if you try and insert straight on, but I found it goes in super easy if you just (and this is holding the player screen up) aim the mini-USB down at an angle initially to get it in the slot, then straighten out as you push it in and make the connection.

Charging now, better do some work then I can get listening later!

Haha, yeah the first few days it was a hassle getting the mini-USB in. Now I don't even realize what I do, it just goes in. But I'm sure it's the same little angle technique.

So, I guess I'll do the 2.0 -> 2.2 jump this weekend. I haven't updated at all yet so I don't know the success rate with Win 7. Anyone else use Win 7 to update and have it work without a hitch?

If not I'll have to go break out the XP netbook.

May 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,238 of 3,682

Quote:
It's charging but I'll try that next, I too had it set to 4.

It's exactly the same. I made sure all the file names are numbered, so it's:
Folder (artist) -> Folders (albums) -> Tracks (01 - Intro, 02 - First Song)

I need to download that Fat32 sorter because even browsing by directory the Artists are all in the order they were put on the player in, It's..... here: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

If you want another theme, I think you have to basically go through the same process of 'updating the firmware again. You'd be going from 2.2 to 2.2, but just with a different IMG file; in this case from Pure and Simple to Black and Blue (style 2!).

Hey thanks for that info. I am too lazy to change the track titles (too many of them), so I guess I will wait for a FW that uses track titles and does an alpha sort (won't hold my breath). But that Fat32 sorter sounds interesting.

May 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #1,239 of 3,682
The hilarious thing is that the Rockchip inside natively sorts everything fine, it's just Teclast somehow managed to screw it up. However given that updating today was so painless I'd be fine with more updates along the way, although backing up the internal memory is a bit of a pain.

I used freeware called Mp3Tag to change the filenames and info quickly, handy tool that.

May 20, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #1,240 of 3,682
Hmm, I think I have that someplace. You can change them right on the machine, too, right? What I did to store the onboard music is use folders to make "playlists" by genre, and then copy that extra set of folders/tracks to my USB HD, for permanent storage. Also, I use a 16GB card nearly filled with flac files as well. I guess I can change them too.

May 20, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #1,241 of 3,682
For all of you that are using Windows 7 to upgrade firmware, you are using the 32 bit system, right?  I've been told that the 64 bit system cannot work.  If anyone knows this not to be the case, please let me know.  Thanks alot.

May 20, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #1,242 of 3,682
Need to clear something up. I didn't use Win7 to update FW, I used an XP netbook. But after I moved from 2.0 to 2.2 and plugged the SF2 into my Win7 machine (32-bit), Win7 said I had to reformat the SF2 before I could use it. So I did and it worked. But I didn't use Win7 to update. Wanted to be sure no one had that impression. However, it could work I think if 32-bit.

May 21, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #1,243 of 3,682

Quote:
Hmm, I think I have that someplace. You can change them right on the machine, too, right? What I did to store the onboard music is use folders to make "playlists" by genre, and then copy that extra set of folders/tracks to my USB HD, for permanent storage. Also, I use a 16GB card nearly filled with flac files as well. I guess I can change them too.

Yeah with Mp3Tag you just open a file directory and it lists all the files in it (so you open H or whatever the S:flo2 is in My Computer), then on the left you have the ID3 tags or whatever they're called, then on the right you have all the normal Filename/Title/Artist/Album type stuff. It's a fairly quick job renaming a lot of files if you go through them column by column. It saves them all in real-time.

I also had a listen before bed last night. Swanlee is correct in that:
Setting the scroll speed to x1 gives the optimal scroll in terms of how it actually looks (i.e. not jerky)

The sound you get when the screen is on and music is playing has definitely changed, it's still there but it's quieter and less annoying, and has a different character.

The pop-up options don't have an X in the corner any more, however you just dismiss them by pressing 'outside the box', I just press the bottom of the screen.

Also I forgot that formatting changes all the options back to default, so had to redo all my battery-saving options, as well as some of the playback options. All good though, definitely worth the upgrade, and once again, it was quick and painless for me.

May 21, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #1,244 of 3,682
Excuse my ignorance, but what benefits are provided by the 2.2 firmware update? I just tried to visit MP4Nation to search for it, but the site seems to be down.

May 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #1,245 of 3,682

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what benefits are provided by the 2.2 firmware update? I just tried to visit MP4Nation to search for it, but the site seems to be down.

Teclast have not really listed anything as their info on their firmware relases is pretty bad.
the only they said about 2.2 is "fix issue in previous firmware"

So far we know

*Library updates happen alot less often now when looking through the audio library. Seems to only happen once and then cache's until a major change is done

*Resume feature is working correctly on video

*Background noise when the screen is on or during the first 10 and last 10 seconds of a track has been greatly reduced

* if you set your text scrolling speed to 1 touch scrolling and touch gestures or ALOT smoother and not jerky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back