S:flo2 impressions thread
Feb 8, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #3,061 of 3,682

Quote:
It does seems the delay is getting out of hand, regardless which party is to be blamed. I think as MP4 Nation's business keeps growing, it is time for them to put UPS / DHL / Fedex into the shipping option and let those who are willing to pay but not wait get their order fill out faster.

It's not HK Post. I bought a Teclast T51 off Ebay on Jan 12th. They showed it as shipped on Jan 13th and the tracking number became 'active' on the 15th. It departed HK for the US on Jan 18th and got to a facility in NY on Feb 3rd. I had it on Feb 6th. Note that this was shipped airmail and not via EMS. So, despite the snowstorms and all that? Airmail got here in 3 weeks. My S:Flo2? Stated as shipping on Dec 20th but wasn't trackable until Jan and the tracking info and box labels both indicate that it wasn't received by HK Post until Jan.

So if ordering from MP4Nation and in the US? EMS will take about 3 weeks off the delivery time once they actually ship it. Here's hoping they start keeping inventory on the things and drop the 'shipping delays' pretense.

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3,062 of 3,682
Yes, I order a T51 from HK before Chinese new Year. I got status update from HK post it was shipped out to destination in Chinese New Year eve. HK is one of a very efficient country in the world, I don't live in HK but half of my family are there and I buy things all the time. I use borderlinx for the shipping of TF10 and DHL from HK to Singapore is 1 day.

It is sad to see MP4Nation put such comment which I believe the delay was really their fault base on the telling of their customer saying it was ship then blame it on HK post this create bad image for HK their own country and later buyer confirm it was ship to HK Post from a much later day. This is unethical! Of cause my personal opinion.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #3,063 of 3,682
I have been buying from HK for few years now. I buy toys, collectibles, and audio equipment. From experience, it takes 4 weeks for a package to arrive via regular mail. It took 5 weeks for me to get my MP4Nation order from the time I received an update that the packaged had a tracking number (not necessarily shipped). I attribute the extra weeks to holiday delays because it was shipped in december. If you get a package from HK in three weeks, consider yourself lucky. Don't expect this to be normal unless your address is by the port.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #3,064 of 3,682

The port-of-entry was in New York, and I'm in deep South Texas near the border. 
I have been buying from HK for few years now. I buy toys, collectibles, and audio equipment. From experience, it takes 4 weeks for a package to arrive via regular mail. It took 5 weeks for me to get my MP4Nation order from the time I received an update that the packaged had a tracking number (not necessarily shipped). I attribute the extra weeks to holiday delays because it was shipped in december. If you get a package from HK in three weeks, consider yourself lucky. Don't expect this to be normal unless your address is by the port.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #3,067 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi. To all you Sflow:2 owners,
what do you love most about the player and what do you hate the most about it.

Here's one virtue of the player that I haven't seen anyone praise explicitly.  It's (to my knowledge) the only player that combines these four features: line-out (without special connector), flac support, sd-card support, and touch-screen (as opposed to click-buttons).  That's why I bought it, and why I like it.  I like to listen to lossless audio through my bedside headphone amp next to a light-sleeper who complains about clicks, and I much prefer transferring files to sd-cards than to the player itself.  As far as I know, the S:flo2 is the only player that allows one to do all that.  My Clip+ or cd-player doesn't -- clicks.  My iPod Touch doesn't -- no flac, no sd-support, and you need to fuss with that special connector.  Looking to upgrade from there, I saw no other route.

The S:flo2 does seem to be a real upgrade in terms of sound quality (though I haven't tested it with careful comparisons).  Still, I would have bought it even if it I'd thought it was merely as good as the Clip+, merely to escape getting blamed for my sleepmate's insomnia.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #3,068 of 3,682

Quote:
Thanks.

Love: The SQ. Strong headphone out: powers my Denon D2000 nicely :). Decent EQ for my bass needs. Not an ipod. Easy updating.
Hate: UI is a pain it could so easily be better (you do kind of get used it it), embeded png artwork screetch.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3,069 of 3,682

Love the sound. LOVE the sound. It's transparent enough that I hear a significant difference between 256Kbps MP3 and FLAC files. Of course it may just really suck at decoding MP3, too.  But FLAC files sound glorious.

It feels well made and solid. A bit heavy and large but I don't mind. Not a huge fan of the volume control and hate the UI. The player is not a joy to use by ANY means. But the sound makes it worth it. I need to retract my earlier statement about speed. Both T51 and S:Flo2 seem to slow down quite a bit when using an SD card. This is using the Class 4 card that Nationite sent as part of the Sflo:2/M3/16gb uSD combo. A Class 6 card may not be as bad but I don't have one on hand to compare with. So, there's value to ordering from MP4Nation. Just know you're going to have a wait on your hands.

Quote:
Thanks.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #3,070 of 3,682

Quote:
Thanks.

There's nothing I hate about the S:flow2 I don't really have much of a problem with the UI but of course it could always be improved and doesn't compare to other players with great UI's

Sound quality is outstanding with mp3 320kbps or flac

Not really relevant to this forum but if you ever have the need to use it for video it pretty much plays anything you throw at it up to 720p even AC3 5.1 and DTS 5.1 audio although the later is to much for the player to handle plus video so its not in sync but it still decodes it

I wouldn't part with mine

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #3,071 of 3,682
The Good:
How it sounds
The fact it sounds great through the HO but offers an upgrade path through the LO
Expandable memory
Decent user-EQ options
Plays a of file formats

The Bad:
Audible bugs when using the HO; the buzzing at the start/end of tracks or when the screen is on
Software bugs meaning you have to browse by directory only if you want everything to be laid out properly
Overly sensitive touch screen which can get a swipe down and about 3 presses mixed up if you're not careful enough
Fairly short battery life regardless of file format

For me the good outweighs the bad. However I'm fairly sure my upgrade path for the future is going to be to buy the Arrow amp and a small right angle mini-to-mini, enjoy that and start saving to replace the S:Flo2 with an iPod Touch 128GB and AlgoRhythm Solo DAC/decoder chip so I get the best of every world, bar physical size.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #3,072 of 3,682

Quote:
Does anyone else get horrific cracks and screeches between tracks that don't show up on other players?  I get these -- sometimes so bad that my ears hurt for an hour -- on about 25% of the mp3 files that I play on my new S:flo2.  Again, the screeches are between tracks; it seems to have something to do with how the player transitions from track to track.  And an entire album will have the problem -- roughly one in four albums.  No sign of the problem in iTunes, on my Clip+, or on any iPod.  Just on the S:flo2.

I fixed the problem on one album by converting the files to higher bltrate mp3, so I thought I'd found the solution and tried that on others.  No luck.  Other suggestions?

So far no such problem with flac files.  I hate to think I'm going to have to convert all my mp3s to flac.  (Since I usually don't have the original uncompressed files, that'll just pointlessly take up space.  Not to mention how much time it'll take...)

Yea I got that back when I listened to the player; I hated it. As a result I keep the volume low when tracks are starting to cut out; although it only happened on certain songs and the same ones, so I knew what to expect. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #3,073 of 3,682
Yes, the problem does seem to be fairly widespread.  But note the solution and I and others discovered, described on the previous page of this thread.  (You probably saw this, but others arriving here for the first time may not have seen it.)  I've made the problem go away entirely.

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone else get horrific cracks and screeches between tracks that don't show up on other players?....

Yea I got that back when I listened to the player; I hated it. As a result I keep the volume low when tracks are starting to cut out; although it only happened on certain songs and the same ones, so I knew what to expect. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #3,074 of 3,682
Delivery update for my order of T51 from HK to Singapore. Item was shipped by HK suppler on the eve of Chinese New Year Fed 2nd. Feb 3/4th are public holiday, 5-6 Feb is Sat/Sun and today it arrived my house. 

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #3,075 of 3,682

i got an email from mp4nation saying that my S:Flo2 is 'Mailed Out'...again, after it was supposedly mailed out before on Dec, 21st.

i have to say that ill believe it when it actually arrives. im very wary of this site now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back