S:flo2 impressions thread
Sep 23, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2,506 of 3,682

Quote:
I'm thinking sell my cowon D2+ and buy a S:Flo2. Is this the right movement for sound quality upgrade? or is it not neccesary? Thank you.

Both set to flat the Sflo2 would be the hero.  Once you throw in EQ, BBE, Mach, etc what sounds good to you may not to others.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #2,507 of 3,682
Well, Nationite have to fix the firmware issues. I had to borrow a computer at my wife's lab to install the firmware, but it didn't work and I didn't have time to suss the issues. It was 32bit Vista and I had about 20 minutes to install. For bloody sakes - make a DAP-installer, not an OS-centric installer! My copy of Windows isn't going to be easy or safe to install on my Mac and VMWare doesn't work because the USB drivers for the S:Flo cause it to randomly disconnect.

Like it or not, the firmware system is the worst I've come across and it's too bad that I WANT to upgrade to 2,2 - much too bad.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #2,508 of 3,682

Quote:
Well, Nationite have to fix the firmware issues. I had to borrow a computer at my wife's lab to install the firmware, but it didn't work and I didn't have time to suss the issues. It was 32bit Vista and I had about 20 minutes to install. For bloody sakes - make a DAP-installer, not an OS-centric installer! My copy of Windows isn't going to be easy or safe to install on my Mac and VMWare doesn't work because the USB drivers for the S:Flo cause it to randomly disconnect.

Like it or not, the firmware system is the worst I've come across and it's too bad that I WANT to upgrade to 2,2 - much too bad.

Believe it or not, the Sflo might be behaving 'normally'.  I'll try to send you the conversation I had w/ AJ helping w/ his FW.  It may be useful or not, you be the judge.  I don't think AJ will mind.  

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #2,509 of 3,682

Quote:

It's a breeze once you have a windows xp environment. It's only complicated cause you tried updating it with other platforms.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #2,510 of 3,682
That's the thing, though: you need Windows XP or windows. The player otherwise 'works' in any OS - allowing manual mounting and both manual and automatic downloading of files from Finder or iTunes. 

But, why have a firmware system that must be updated via Windows XP (of all Windows versions, XP) while the player itself works otherwise? But I wish that were all. The T51 does NOT work with Macs or Linux computers. It stays mounted for very random intervals, automatically unmouting when it wants to. The USB interface isn't stable - that is problem number 1. problem number two is the fact that even Windows users have a hard time uploading.

Forget my other complaints, this player is not well thought-out. Nice hardware coupled to bass ackwards software/firmware update routines and USB implementation a good player do not make. 

Again, not a single piece of hardware I own has problems staying mounted in OSX, or in Windows when mounted in OSX from a virtual machine emulator. ONLY the T51 does. No matter the drivers Windows side or the way to perfectly upload in Windows, the T51 is not stable in its host. Eventually, the T51 will unmount in OSX and therefore, Windows. 

Installing Windows on my hard disk as a secondary bootcamp OS is a pitiful way to fix this, and dangerous. 

Quote:
It's a breeze once you have a windows xp environment. It's only complicated cause you tried updating it with other platforms.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #2,512 of 3,682
Whilst I agree it's hugely inconvenient method of updating the firmware, it shouldn't be a dealbreaker for anyone. I had to do the update on a Windows machine at work, but it did work smoothly and first time. It's not like you'll be doing it very often either.

Also I'm not sure why shigzeo's had problems with OSX. Apart from the above mentioned software update, a Mac is the only thing my player's ever been plugged into. It mounts cleanly every time and stays mounted until I unmount it. Files transfer tidily too. That's probably once every couple of days since I got it, without a single problem.

I'm not saying for one moment that it's perfect (far from it), just that I wouldn't want potential purchasers to miss out on discovering this fantastic sounding player because they've been put off by negative comments on here.

Quote:
That's the thing, though: you need Windows XP or windows. The player otherwise 'works' in any OS - allowing manual mounting and both manual and automatic downloading of files from Finder or iTunes. 

But, why have a firmware system that must be updated via Windows XP (of all Windows versions, XP) while the player itself works otherwise? But I wish that were all. The T51 does NOT work with Macs or Linux computers. It stays mounted for very random intervals, automatically unmouting when it wants to. The USB interface isn't stable - that is problem number 1. problem number two is the fact that even Windows users have a hard time uploading.

Forget my other complaints, this player is not well thought-out. Nice hardware coupled to bass ackwards software/firmware update routines and USB implementation a good player do not make. 

Again, not a single piece of hardware I own has problems staying mounted in OSX, or in Windows when mounted in OSX from a virtual machine emulator. ONLY the T51 does. No matter the drivers Windows side or the way to perfectly upload in Windows, the T51 is not stable in its host. Eventually, the T51 will unmount in OSX and therefore, Windows. 

Installing Windows on my hard disk as a secondary bootcamp OS is a pitiful way to fix this, and dangerous. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #2,513 of 3,682
Whilst I agree it's hugely inconvenient method of updating the firmware, it shouldn't be a dealbreaker for anyone. I had to do the update on a Windows machine at work, but it did work smoothly and first time. It's not like you'll be doing it very often either.

Also I'm not sure why shigzeo's had problems with OSX. Apart from the above mentioned software update, a Mac is the only thing my player's ever been plugged into. It mounts cleanly every time and stays mounted until I unmount it. Files transfer tidily too. That's probably once every couple of days since I got it, without a single problem.

I'm not saying for one moment that it's perfect (far from it), just that I wouldn't want potential purchasers to miss out on discovering this fantastic sounding player because they've been put off by negative comments on here.

Quote:

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #2,516 of 3,682
George has a history with me. He and I have never met eye to eye in this part of the forums, ever. In the headphone bits, maybe. Otherwise, he is simply 100% opposed to my character and I to his - at least tha is the patter than emerges. And I'm fine with that.

I've got Windows on it to run RMAA and a couple of other audio apps and then to play Utopia. Otherwise, however, it is just a waste of my time. I write for a living and the tool that I have to use (Word) is a bit better on the Mac, but is still horrible.

Even if I got a Windows computer, I'd be stuck getting the right windows so this bloody thing would work properly. I think for people who do medical research, Windows has more options, but otherwise, it is a gaming platform for web surfers. There is nothing I can do faster or better with it.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear that my unit (T51) was just a dud, but then I'd be bummed too. It sounds good and connected fine to the Dell I used yesterday, but God, what an exercise in faith to get it running properly.

Quote:
I think you should get yourself a windows machine and get rid of that useless mac.

My $0.02

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #2,517 of 3,682
Just out of curiosity, which firmware version your T51 is on now, shigzeo?

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #2,519 of 3,682
Pity you're having so much trouble with it and I hope you get it sorted out. I have a rusty old laptop running XP so I've never had a problem but I've wondered what to do if/when I upgrade to a decent desktop. I'm doubtful the player will keep getting updates though, so if you're able to get it to 2.3 on a borrowed machine or some-such you may not need to update again. I'll hope that isn't the case though given there's still plenty they could improve, just have to keep checking back every couple of months.

Have you tried mounting via a USB hub? I have a powered one and have connect via that, although I can't have low-power devices plugged in at the same time or it won't let me access the disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back