S:flo2 impressions thread
Sep 21, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #2,492 of 3,682
Alas, updating firmware is almost impossible for me as I don't have Windows computer and don't know anyone with one. I cannot borrow my wife's lab's computer, so I am pretty laid out for updates. The IMD isn't that high, though. The S:Flo 2 HPO outperforms the T3D in a couple of areas which is amazing, of course. 

Quote:
..and those were with the old firmware, right? The new firmware is said to have fixed most of the distortion issue. If you ever get a chance to update the firmware, hopefully you can give it another go with RMAA. I am interested in seeing how it will fair against the old measurement.

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #2,493 of 3,682
Now the question I want to know is  if the s:flo2 runs on linux or now
tongue.gif
That and the UI prevents me from ever taking a chance on this player.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #2,495 of 3,682
You can plug the player in to most computers (Linux, OSX, Debian, Haiku) (though USB power is a problem with some), but you cannot update its OS, which is about as stupid an idea as possible. Cowon's players do it right: drag and drop the files onto the device and let the device update its self. Don't rely on an OS and shoddy external programming.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #2,496 of 3,682
Apparently Cowon isn't w/o its own problems on Mac OS.  If you ever had a reason to you could dual boot Windows on your Mac.  I'm guessing you don't have a reason to. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #2,497 of 3,682
Yeah, the cow on (and the sflo2) both eject randomly, but the cowon is generally better. Neither system fully supports USB standards, but that is okay because most people who buy either brand are windows users, not Linux or OSX users.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #2,498 of 3,682
For the first time, i was charging it while it was playing music at the same time for a couple of hours. When i listened to it, there was a noticeable difference in the music. Everything seems more refined and clearer, i could make out tiny improvements. It sounds weird but i remembered a poster somewhere in this thread experienced the same thing as i did.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #2,499 of 3,682
Has anyone purchased/received a recent batch that can comment on the current status of the player's UI or stability?  (or any owners that have the most recent firmware).

I'm deciding between this and the Cowon J3 (60 bucks more) but this is more in my price range.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #2,500 of 3,682
Stability is fine. I don't have an single issue with the firmware since v2 comes out several months ago. UI is the same as before, nothing much changes except the font looks better now. These and of course the new firmware (v2.3) also sounds a little cleaner and more transparent.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2,501 of 3,682
I just have the worst luck with this player. I was transfering some files into my friend's really really old computer, and later on today, the MicroSD started working really weird. Sometimes it recognizes the card, and sometimes not. I tried to format the MicroSD but couldn't. I also couldn't remove any files from it. Any of you have similar experiences? What do you think is the problem with my MicroSD slot? Any help will be appreciated.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #2,502 of 3,682

Quote:
I just have the worst luck with this player. I was transfering some files into my friend's really really old computer, and later on today, the MicroSD started working really weird. Sometimes it recognizes the card, and sometimes not. I tried to format the MicroSD but couldn't. I also couldn't remove any files from it. Any of you have similar experiences? What do you think is the problem with my MicroSD slot? Any help will be appreciated.

I don't play w/ SD cards inside of players myself.  I'm usually carrying two SD card adapters in my wallet so I can just plug into anything around me.  Otherwise a small micro reader would be a good investment.  Old PC rule I like to follow, always remove as many unknown variables as possible in your command execution path.  Simplified, Card-->PC > Card-->DAP-->PC for reliability and speed.  Sorry if this doesn't help much.

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #2,503 of 3,682

Quote:
Has anyone purchased/received a recent batch that can comment on the current status of the player's UI or stability?  (or any owners that have the most recent firmware).

I'm deciding between this and the Cowon J3 (60 bucks more) but this is more in my price range.

I bought one a few weeks ago expecting there to be a few quirks but haven't had a single one very happy I went this route was also considering the J3

Sep 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #2,504 of 3,682
I guess it will be a very long time if I ever own this player. Setting up windows for a dap doesn't make much sense to me. If only everything worked fine and updating firmware was just dragging a file or a couple files to the root folder of the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back