Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Oct 12, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #196 of 523
HAHA, it seems my tastes are changing.

I find the Aeon has plenty of bass off its own bat.
In fact I am looking for something that doesn't alter their sound, I am finding my iDSD seems to add too much to the low end (before bass boost).

Where as with my Ether C 1.1 the iDSD was almost perfect, due to the leaner Ether C 1.1 bass.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #197 of 523
Hi all. Is this currently the best value under at this price range (under $1000) in terms of resolution? I understand the Jotunheim is more powerful, but not as resolving?

I'll be running these from the DX200's Balanced Line Out, so I think volume may not be an issue.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #198 of 523
Hi all. Is this currently the best value under at this price range (under $1000) in terms of resolution? I understand the Jotunheim is more powerful, but not as resolving?

I'll be running these from the DX200's Balanced Line Out, so I think volume may not be an issue.

There may be some amplifiers, which when mated with specific headphones, can equal the resolution. What headphones are you planning to use?

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #199 of 523
There may be some amplifiers, which when mated with specific headphones, can equal the resolution. What headphones are you planning to use?

I currently have NightOwls and Atticus, but also planning on get HD660S and LCD2C. All of these are pretty warm headphones. Maybe a HD800S or focal Clear (whichever is more resolving) for something bright and detailed in the future.

I was also looking at the Mjolnir 2, for tube versatility, but the size is rather big. The small form factor of the RNHP is pretty attractive.

What are the other amplifiers that you had in mind? I can look into those too.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #200 of 523
For versatility and clarity, I would agree the RNHP is a good choice.

Often a person is looking for budget amplifiers, and is using a high impedance headphone, such as HD600. There are tube options, such as the Valhalla 2, with plenty of clarity - works well for Atticus and HD800S. What scares me though is your NightOwl and LCD2 - low impedance and planar aren't as well suited to the OTL. Though it can play these, I found the sound more favorable through high impedance headphones. Even easy to drive, low impedance headphones weren't as good through it. I've had no issues with a diversity of headphones through the RNHP. Its flaw was dampening - you hear the initial impact, but the decay may not be quite what you are used to. Advantage, each note is played clearly - disadvantage, HD650 natural bass decay is damped and may not sound as strong. I have not heard the HD660S, so cannot comment on how it will interact with the RNHP.

TL;DR - I think RNHP is a strong choice for what you want!

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #201 of 523
For versatility and clarity, I would agree the RNHP is a good choice.

Often a person is looking for budget amplifiers, and is using a high impedance headphone, such as HD600. There are tube options, such as the Valhalla 2, with plenty of clarity - works well for Atticus and HD800S. What scares me though is your NightOwl and LCD2 - low impedance and planar aren't as well suited to the OTL. Though it can play these, I found the sound more favorable through high impedance headphones. Even easy to drive, low impedance headphones weren't as good through it. I've had no issues with a diversity of headphones through the RNHP. Its flaw was dampening - you hear the initial impact, but the decay may not be quite what you are used to. Advantage, each note is played clearly - disadvantage, HD650 natural bass decay is damped and may not sound as strong. I have not heard the HD660S, so cannot comment on how it will interact with the RNHP.

TL;DR - I think RNHP is a strong choice for what you want!

Ah, I see. Found another post that describes what you are talking about. This amp may not be for me then, since I actually like that aspect of the recording. Thanks though.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #202 of 523
I REALLY like this amp. Im returning after a long hiatus, pairing it with grados, and it continues to punch me in the same ways it did before.

There are no secrets with the RNHP. Its brazen. It lifts the skirts up of every 24bit flac track and allows me to take a big long peek at what went on in the studio when it was recorded.

I feel like a pervert. :L3000:

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #203 of 523
Ironic. I've had this amp for a while now and I simply love it. And, I'm also listening to it with Grados as I'm reading your post. My Grados are the PS1000 (original) & the sound is sublime. I'll tell you one thing, this amp outshines many, many more expensive amps which I've owned in the past. It's a piece of audio technology marvel.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #204 of 523
Currently considering this or Jotenheim to use with my Aeons.
I am undecided.
I love the form factor and aesthetic of the Neve.
I have heard the Jot and it sounds great with the Aeon.

I would expect a similar flavour (or lack there of) from teh Neve.

I am currently just using an Alien+/iDSD Black with the Aeons, but finding the iDSD Black (as a dac/amp) is too warm sounding for the Aeons.
iDSD BL was treble lifted and sharp sounding. Don't know if I can agree it being warm. Treble has so much weight in how I consider the characteristic as warm or not. Aeon has boosted low treble(a bit peaky for my taste) and can not see iDSD helping in any way. Perhaps a right tube amp will add some body and pleasantness to the sound.

What DACs are everybody feeding and does the amp seem transparent to DAC signal? Does it sound very revealing? Anybody DAC rolled? If I were to go stand alone DAC Amp setup, current candidates are Cayin iha-6 or this. Delima is what is the best valued DAC.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #206 of 523
Anyone out there had the chance to compare the RNHP with any of the Graham Slee headphone amps? as these are the ones on my shortlist. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

I have the Solo with the PSU upgrade. Its a fine amp with plenty of detail but the RNHP is so much better.
I honestly have not a heard a more transparent amp than the RNHP and I believe its a real bargain.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #207 of 523
Just thought I'd jump on the RNHP train. I'd put this little guy up with several SS amps that retail for a bit more money. Like Bob, I'm loving mine powering both a PS1000 and HD800S. Feeding it from my Border Patrol DAC and I'd put this rig right up with some of the upper end Schiit and Audio-gd stacks for sure! Impressive unit.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #209 of 523
Hi Rishabh,

The RNHP pairs wells with just about everything.
If you didn't already know, I would suggest increasing the amperage for the power supply as stock power supply has a very low but audible whine when no sound is playing or on low volume.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #210 of 523
If you didn't already know, I would suggest increasing the amperage for the power supply as stock power supply has a very low but audible whine when no sound is playing or on low volume.
First I am reading about a whine. Can you describe the symptoms in more detail? What is low power? I use it around 9 o'clock, but have used it at lower volume. Which input to the RNHP are you using? Are you hearing the whine directly from the power supply or through the headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back