Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Aug 6, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #169 of 522
I read that it pairs very well with hd600
What about Audeze Sine?
Does listened to the combo?
Thnx

It pairs very, very well with both the HD600 & HD800. Sound is clear and detailed (keep in mind that it also depends on the production of the music you're listening to which applies IMHO to any amp/ HPs combination).

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #170 of 522
What amp chip is inside?

Should I get a LPS or just a regular AC power supply brick? I only will be using iems with it. sub 16 ohm

Maximum Input Levels
"A" XLR I/P: +22.8 dBu @1kHz
"B" RCA I/P: +14.7dBu @1kHz,
"C" 3.5mm I/P: +3.3dBu @1kHz

Output Power:
As measured with typical headphones, Z=44 Ω: 3.617 VAC RMS @1kHz = 300mW RMS
16 Ω typical Load: 1.933 VAC RMS @1kHz = 230mW RMS
150 Ω typical Load: 5.108 VAC RMS @1kHz = 175mW RMS

Output Impedance
.08 Ω @ 1KHz, 16-150 Ω load, 0dBu input

Frequency Response
+/- .2dB from 10Hz to 120KHz

Noise
Measured with typical headphones, Z=44 Ω, BW 22Hz – 22kHz
"A" XLR Input: -101.9dBV,
"B" RCA Input: -100.9dBV
"C" 3.5mm Input: -88.8dBV

Dimensions
6.5” wide x 4.6” deep and 1.9” tall

Power Supply Requirements
24VDC @ 0.25Amp (6 watt) minimum. Use with supplied power adapter, as this has been carefully selected for best output power and noise performance. May be used with a properly configured 24V battery as well.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #172 of 522
Audeze LCD4: From my feeling not as resolving as the HE1000 but I preferred the tonal signature being a bit warmer ... for me this was the dream team of the whole list of headphones I tried. But at that price it will stay a dream for ever.

From the LCD-4 thread, their recommendations always seem to veer towards as much power as possible. This combination of LCD-4 and RNHP is quite the revelation to me. There is something more to it than simply throwing power at the problem. I'm listening to music, at much lower volumes than I would via my GS-X mk2, but the clarity here with RNHP is amazing.

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #173 of 522
Auditioned the "Rupert Neve Designs RNHP 1-Ch Precision Headphone Amplifier" against my iFi iDSD Black Label DAC/AMP. I've read that the Black Label's weakness is the amp section, while its DAC section hits well above it's class. So, I thought I'd try this Neve Designs headphone amp because the very positive reviews here on Head-Fi and other places. And what the heck, it was only $499 at Sweetwater Sound which is just across town. So I made the trek and they generously let me audition for a couple of hours.

Once there I ran USB out of my laptop into the Black Label which I placed atop the Rupert Neve amp so I could quickly A/B my Beyerdynamic T5p.2 between input jacks. I used RCA outputs out of the Black Label's DAC section into the Neve amp's RCA inputs and used 16 bit material to A/B them. The Beyerdynamics are very revealing headphones so anything going on...or not going on... will be revealed.

Well, no question, the Neve had a tad more speed, resolution, etc. But the Black label has 3D and X-Bass switches which narrowed the differences to a near draw. After A/Bing both amps 2 dozen times, I concluded that the Neve sounded almost identical to the Black Label's amp with the 3D switch engaged once the volume's were matched. This is actually a testament as to the quality of BOTH units. The Black Label's amp was a bit slower but smoother--perhaps because the Black Label was operating off battery power vs. the Neve's AC/DC wallwart. The Neve had faster attack and a smidgen more resolution and dynamics. At very, very, high volume, the Black Label's muscularity showed itself more composed. In the end though, I'd call it a draw. I went away satisfied that my Black Label could hold it's own and I saved $499 by passing on the Neve amp. The Neve was ,subjectively speaking, maybe 3-4% superior to the Black Label at times--just a hair superior at best. I can see right now that I'm going to have to spend considerably more money to improve upon my gear and the Neve headphone amp wasn't better enough to jump ship.

P.S. A few things to keep in mind: 1) I have 53 year old ears and unable to hear anything above 13kHz. 2) The RCA patch cords were not high end at all. 3) The Neve amp was fresh out of the box and not broken in. 4) The Neve amp's power supply could be improved significantly with the iFi's DC Purifier: https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-dcipurifier/ or a better power supply all together. 5) The iDSD Black Label was running off clean battery power.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #175 of 522
Auditioned the "Rupert Neve Designs RNHP 1-Ch Precision Headphone Amplifier" against my iFi iDSD Black Label DAC/AMP. I've read that the Black Label's weakness is the amp section, while its DAC section hits well above it's class. So, I thought I'd try this Neve Designs headphone amp because the very positive reviews here on Head-Fi and other places. And what the heck, it was only $499 at Sweetwater Sound which is just across town. So I made the trek and they generously let me audition for a couple of hours.

Once there I ran USB out of my laptop into the Black Label which I placed atop the Rupert Neve amp so I could quickly A/B my Beyerdynamic T5p.2 between input jacks. I used RCA outputs out of the Black Label's DAC section into the Neve amp's RCA inputs and used 16 bit material to A/B them. The Beyerdynamics are very revealing headphones so anything going on...or not going on... will be revealed.

Well, no question, the Neve had a tad more speed, resolution, etc. But the Black label has 3D and X-Bass switches which narrowed the differences to a near draw. After A/Bing both amps 2 dozen times, I concluded that the Neve sounded almost identical to the Black Label's amp with the 3D switch engaged once the volume's were matched. This is actually a testament as to the quality of BOTH units. The Black Label's amp was a bit slower but smoother--perhaps because the Black Label was operating off battery power vs. the Neve's AC/DC wallwart. The Neve had faster attack and a smidgen more resolution and dynamics. At very, very, high volume, the Black Label's muscularity showed itself more composed. In the end though, I'd call it a draw. I went away satisfied that my Black Label could hold it's own and I saved $499 by passing on the Neve amp. The Neve was ,subjectively speaking, maybe 3-4% superior to the Black Label at times--just a hair superior at best. I can see right now that I'm going to have to spend considerably more money to improve upon my gear and the Neve headphone amp wasn't better enough to jump ship.

P.S. A few things to keep in mind: 1) I have 53 year old ears and unable to hear anything above 13kHz. 2) The RCA patch cords were not high end at all. 3) The Neve amp was fresh out of the box and not broken in. 4) The Neve amp's power supply could be improved significantly with the iFi's DC Purifier: https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-dcipurifier/ or a better power supply all together. 5) The iDSD Black Label was running off clean battery power.

I've been meaning to thank you for your mentioning of the 'DCiPurifier' .

This looks like it should work with my Auraliti PK100's PS. I really don't think I actually need a 'better than supplied" PS as I'm running that through my Equi=Tech Q1.5 BPT (Which makes every link of my playback as dynamically transparent sounding as I could ever imagine it could be)..... The admission price of $100 (& the words "DC Purifier" are too intriguing to pass up)

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #176 of 522
The admission price of $100 (& the words "DC Purifier" are too intriguing to pass up)

Let me know how the DC Purifier works out for you. The iPurifier2 for USB is phenomenal.

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #177 of 522
Hey guys how do you think there's amplifier would pair with the DT1990

Hard to tell. Depends on how loud you listen to your music. My Beyerdynamic T5p.2 is a 32ohm set of cans. The DT1990 is 250ohms I believe. Perhaps another Head-fier could comment on this taking into account the amp's power and the headphones efficiency.

Sep 16, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #178 of 522
Hard to tell. Depends on how loud you listen to your music. My Beyerdynamic T5p.2 is a 32ohm set of cans. The DT1990 is 250ohms I believe. Perhaps another Head-fier could comment on this taking into account the amp's power and the headphones efficiency.
so I win ahead and place an order from Sweetwater it should arrive Tuesday I will let y'all know how it works out. The DT1990 Seem to be pretty efficient they get to a decent volume just off my iPhone. So don't think power will be much of an issue

Sep 19, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #180 of 522
Have a dc purifier in line with a higher amperage wallwart.
To me the background is quieter, more dynamics, and tighter bass.
A worthwhile purchase.

I received an ifi DC Purifier today. Tried it with the RNHP, but the amp won't turn on. After plugging the ifi into the RNHP and plugging the RNHP power supply into the ifi, I flipped the RNHP power switch on. Instead of the amp turning on, the green light on the front flashed on and off and the amp would not turn on. I checked the voltage before and after the ifi and it read 24.2 volts DC. The amp says 24V DC at .25A and the power supply says 24V DC at .4 A. Not sure what the problem is as the ifi is rated at up to 24V DC at 3.5A. Should have no problem running the RNHP. I tried the ifi on another unit which outputs 5V DC and no problem there. Need to contact ifi to see what they say.

brookbi:are you using the ifi on your RNHP or are you using a different DC purifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back