Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Feb 7, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #226 of 518
I picked this amp up after hearing it at a local headphone meet up. It's a very clean amp transparent amp so I think any brightness would come from source or the headphones. Rupert Neve is a legend in the pro recording circles. The one thing I really don't like is how bright the green LED is on the front. No other complaint. I'm running mine with a Denon D5000 HP. I've also run my Westone IEMs through it and it makes those sound better than any of my portable equip does. I sold my LCD-XC before I got the amp so I have not tried it with an Audeze, YMMV but I think it would deliver plenty of power unless maybe you ran it with an LCD-4. I didn't think it had enough oomph for my Abyss. I was really just looking for an excuse to buy it, not that I really needed it (Oh I can get a little HP stack for work, yeah!) I hope that helps a bit.

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #227 of 518
It's great knowing peace of mind with the Amazon returns policy... personally from experience I don't think you will regret getting the RNHP which I think is a very underrated amp.

Always can buy led black out cover dot tape or half transparent led cover tape for those LEDS if they do distract/ annoy.

I ordered one from Amazon and I should receive it by Saturday.
Hope it turns out to be as good as everyone is raving about it!

Feb 8, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #228 of 518

Don't expect it to sound good cold. Mine was clean but flat and lifeless until fully warm, a few days did it. It doesn't get hot so can be left on.

IMO YMWV

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #229 of 518

Hi @viveksaikia22,

As @gefski has said & as a long time owner of the RNHP myself, while it doesn't need burn in, the RNHP takes at least a few days to sound optimal with your own setup though personally & subjectively, I have found, source makes all the difference regardless of gear.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you both have a great day !

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #230 of 518
Hi @viveksaikia22,

As @gefski has said & as a long time owner of the RNHP myself, while it doesn't need burn in, the RNHP takes at least a few days to sound optimal with your own setup though personally & subjectively, I have found, source makes all the difference regardless of gear.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you both have a great day !

Sure. I will give it at least a couple of days to pass on my judgement.

It didn't arrive today and hopefully will be delivered by tomorrow.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #232 of 518
Anyone know how this compares with THX 789 and/or Gilmore Lite M2?

Mar 28, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #233 of 518
Anyone know how this compares with THX 789 and/or Gilmore Lite M2?
RNHP is slightly-warm, and dampens the sound. Specifically, when used with HD650, some people might perceive the headphone to not have as much bass. This is not true, but because the bass is dampened quickly, it can be perceived as being less through the RNHP. Still RNHP is a relaxed, clear sound, suitable for many headphones. It just interacts with the classic HD650 in an unusual way.

Compare this with the THX 789 and Gilmoe Lite Mk2 - these offer more punch, and a less-warm sound. When I was able to borrow the Mk2, I had to switch sources. My Bifrost Multibit, which I consider to be warm, actually sounded a little gritty in the treble - Chord Qutest, which I consider less warm, sounded clearer in the treble. It was easier to listen to the higher-end source, caused by the less-warm presentation of the Mk2. Comparing THX and Mk2 would require more reading, from someone who has heard these side-by-side.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #234 of 518
RNHP is slightly-warm, and dampens the sound. Specifically, when used with HD650, some people might perceive the headphone to not have as much bass. This is not true, but because the bass is dampened quickly, it can be perceived as being less through the RNHP. Still RNHP is a relaxed, clear sound, suitable for many headphones. It just interacts with the classic HD650 in an unusual way.

Compare this with the THX 789 and Gilmoe Lite Mk2 - these offer more punch, and a less-warm sound. When I was able to borrow the Mk2, I had to switch sources. My Bifrost Multibit, which I consider to be warm, actually sounded a little gritty in the treble - Chord Qutest, which I consider less warm, sounded clearer in the treble. It was easier to listen to the higher-end source, caused by the less-warm presentation of the Mk2. Comparing THX and Mk2 would require more reading, from someone who has heard these side-by-side.
I found it to sound thin in tonality.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #235 of 518

Since it came up, i would like to say that is exactly what the RNHP does. I find it really interesting that it makes a rather slow-ish headphone like the 650 sound agile and respond faster due to the damping. The "bass issue" is subjective, i have actually fallen in love with mine and use it with the 650s.
Unfortunately i cannot comment on the comparison as i did not have a chance to hear the other two. In any case from what i have read i think all 3 of them are doing their job quite nicely, but i can only guarantee that for the RNHP.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #236 of 518
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. Any comparisons w/ Little Labs Monotor?

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #237 of 518
Since it came up, i would like to say that is exactly what the RNHP does. I find it really interesting that it makes a rather slow-ish headphone like the 650 sound agile and respond faster due to the damping. The "bass issue" is subjective, i have actually fallen in love with mine and use it with the 650s.
Unfortunately i cannot comment on the comparison as i did not have a chance to hear the other two. In any case from what i have read i think all 3 of them are doing their job quite nicely, but i can only guarantee that for the RNHP.
I always wondered if the perception of speed on the 650/6XX is due to the pad types, if fresh or the new stiffer type of pads they put out over the years.

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #238 of 518
I know this has been out for a while but I've only just noticed it recently at CanJam but I didn't bring my headphones to try it out. Can anyone share their experiences pairing the RNHP with high impedence headphones such as the Sennheiser HD800S?

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #239 of 518
Joining the RNHP club! :)

33843962368_c98d3eb63f_c.jpg

While my WM1A has juuuust enough power for the RNHP + Z7M2 combo (via the 4.4mm HP out), i think I will have to get a better outboard DAC eventually to push the RNHP to its limits.

The RNHP has been known to be fairly linear/transparent amp, allowing you to listen to both the source and HP. That said, compared to listening straight from the WM1A, the RNHP pushes the midrange and treble a wee bit forward while pulls down the bass a wee bit back. Soundstage is still fairly narrow (especially when compared to powerful amps such as the Questyle CMA600i) but depth and imaging are excellent. I've also tried briefly the Hugo2 + RNHP + Z7M2 combo and very much liked what I heard (better resolution and microdetails) but the Chord tax is a bit cost prohibitive; maybe Hugo2 prices in the second hand market will go down in the next year or two.

I can't recommend enough the RNHP to those looking for a clean and transparent sound that further improves the Z7M2 listening experience. It's not the most powerful amp out there but it's certainly worth your consideration! :o2smile:

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #240 of 518
Joining the RNHP club! :)

33843962368_c98d3eb63f_c.jpg

While my WM1A has juuuust enough power for the RNHP + Z7M2 combo (via the 4.4mm HP out), i think I will have to get a better outboard DAC eventually to push the RNHP to its limits.

The RNHP has been known to be fairly linear/transparent amp, allowing you to listen to both the source and HP. That said, compared to listening straight from the WM1A, the RNHP pushes the midrange and treble a wee bit forward while pulls down the bass a wee bit back. Soundstage is still fairly narrow (especially when compared to powerful amps such as the Questyle CMA600i) but depth and imaging are excellent. I've also tried briefly the Hugo2 + RNHP + Z7M2 combo and very much liked what I heard (better resolution and microdetails) but the Chord tax is a bit cost prohibitive; maybe Hugo2 prices in the second hand market will go down in the next year or two.

I can't recommend enough the RNHP to those looking for a clean and transparent sound that further improves the Z7M2 listening experience. It's not the most powerful amp out there but it's certainly worth your consideration! :o2smile:

Welcome to the RNHP Club, @jaibautista !

Hope you enjoy your journey !

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back