Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Dec 20, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #121 of 522
I agree w/ what Sheldaze said above- the RNHP is excellent for easy to drive dynamic HPs.  As expected it could not drive my HE6 well (weak bass and dynamics).  I've not heard it w/ other Planars.  It was wonderful w/ the Utopia and Grados.  If I was not using amps costing 4Xs as much the RNHP would likely be my go to amp. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #126 of 522
I sent Neve an email with the following question:

I'm loving my RNHP so far. Quick question. I know some amps are picky when it comes to turning off/on with headphones plugged in. I was wondering if the RNHP has some kind of muting relay and if you have any factory preferences as far as leaving headphones plugged in (or not) during the powering on and off of the unit.

No response yet from Neve directly but I was wondering if anyone else knows the answer to this question. Neve says nothing about this in their manual. I normally unplug my gear before turning the RNHP off but I forgot to the other night and I heard a pretty strange noise when I flipped the switch off with the cans still plugged in. Just curious. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #127 of 522
I sent Neve an email with the following question:

[COLOR=222222]I'm loving my RNHP so far. Quick question. I know some amps are picky when it comes to turning off/on with headphones plugged in. I was wondering if the RNHP has some kind of muting relay and if you have any factory preferences as far as leaving headphones plugged in (or not) during the powering on and off of the unit.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]No response yet from Neve directly but I was wondering if anyone else knows the answer to this question. Neve says nothing about this in their manual. I normally unplug my gear before turning the RNHP off but I forgot to the other night and I heard a pretty strange noise when I flipped the switch off with the cans still plugged in. Just curious. [/COLOR]

I asked them the same question when I had the demo unit: There is no muting, so headphones should not be plugged in when switching the unit on or off.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #130 of 522
Pulls out details.

I don't understand how this could be an attribute of an amplifier, and not the exclusive province of a DAC alone?

How can an amp do anything more than amplify, and color, the signal from the DAC?

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #132 of 522

I'm probably more worried about this than I should be. 

This is the reply from them when I asked them about a "swoosh" like sound you could hear in the cans when switching off:

"ideally you should power up and down without headphones connected.  That is likely the sound of the caps discharging.  Its probably not going to hurt the cans, but its better to not risk it.
Cheers
Tristan"

Its not the hard "knock" you hear from other amps that could damage the headphones.

Dec 24, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #133 of 522
  This is the reply from them when I asked them about a "swoosh" like sound you could hear in the cans when switching off:

"ideally you should power up and down without headphones connected.  That is likely the sound of the caps discharging.  Its probably not going to hurt the cans, but its better to not risk it.
Cheers
Tristan"

Its not the hard "knock" you hear from other amps that could damage the headphones.

Ya, I did sound like a swoosh, not a pop. I think I've done it a total of two or three times by accident. So its probably not a problem. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #134 of 522
I guess that in studio environments (what this amp was designed for) it's normally left on all the time. So switching on/off what not such a priority during the design phase like for consumer electronic that is switched on/off multiple times per day.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #135 of 522
Interesting RNHP review:

Link: http://www.verumsonus.com/head-fi-meet-impressions-12062016/

"The RNHP is a very interesting amplifier with a very unique property.  I tested it using the balanced outputs on the DAC of my Audio-gd NFB-27H.  I felt that tonally and spatially the amp was essentially transparent, extremely revealing of upstream components and was very adequately able to power my Sennheiser HD650s.  In listening, I noticed that no matter what music I was playing, it was as if that music was being played in something like an anechoic chamber, a completely dead room that killed any reverberation or reflection that might give you a sense of the room.  When drums were struck, you could very clearly hear the initial impact of the drum, but the sustain of that impact was completely removed, even though it can very clearly be heard on numerous other combinations of DACs and amps that were present at the meet.  The owner’s theory is that the amplifier has such a low output impedance that its actually overdamping the headphones and causing this complete loss of the sustain.  I’m not sure whether or not that is the case, but the RNHP was a very strange sounding and unique sounding amplifier."

I feel like I can kind of hear what he is talking about. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back