Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon
Feb 1, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #256 of 603
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #257 of 603
I have left the eletro-dynamic world since we interacted on the HD800 mods... I see you have some cool DIY style SR-sigmas in your stash :) The SR009 is the logical upgrade to the HD800, just saying :wink:.

arnaud

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #258 of 603
  I have left the eletro-dynamic world since we interacted on the HD800 mods... I see you have some cool DIY style SR-sigmas in your stash :) The SR009 is the logical upgrade to the HD800, just saying :wink:.

arnaud

Well, yes, I'm a bit interested in the SR-009. But then again there's the saying that you need an adequate (speak: expensive) amp as well – and a lot of nosewrinkle about my SRM-727II.

And BTW, my two electrostats can't hold a candle to my HD 800 setup, although (to me) they certainly sound better than their originals – Lambda Pro and Signature Pro.

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #259 of 603
  Well, yes, I'm a bit interested in the SR-009. But then again there's the saying that you need an adequate (speak: expensive) amp as well – and a lot of nosewrinkle about my SRM-727II.

I've been researching ways to drive the SR-009 without having to invest in an expensive amp. I know it can be done with a speaker amp and Woo WEE, but I'm not sure how close the sound quality would be to its full potential with a BHSE, DIY T2, etc.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #260 of 603
The SR-009 itself is expensive enough (about 6000 US$ here in Switzerland) to hesitate with such a plan, and given my sonic preference which leans toward the dynamic principle since quite a while... I know the inherent qualities and downsides of the different transducer types quite a bit from own experiences as a speaker builder (having designed and built dynamic, planar and ribbon tranducers) on a DIY basis and as a highly interested auditioner at HiFi fairs, which of course doesn't exclude that one specific implementation excels in an optimal comromise for my sonic preferences. On the other hand, given my several auditions of the SR-007 in different systems (none of them with a high-end amp in the sense of the Head-fi High-End forum, though) which left me heavily disappointed, as well as my so-so satisaction with my own electrostats in view of the HD 800's qualities, I will withstand the temptation to go this route again. Moreover: I'm satisfied with my modified HD 800. Also, since I have the FiiO X5, which is my main digital source now, I can fine-tune the system like with different cables or amps – thanks to its 10-band equalizer with 0.2 dB steps (!), which opens a whole new world to me calling for eploration. I think now I can make the HD 800 sound like an electrostat, just better.

Of course I nevertheless look forward to the new electrostatic Sennheiser flagship. And who knows, if it's clearly better than everything else on the planet and at the same time passably affordable... At least so far nobody has claimed that it will need a $$$$$ amp to shine.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #261 of 603
Model higher than hd800 definitely coming this year and high end closed too: confirmed to me by Sennheiser Saturday

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #262 of 603
  The SR-009 itself is expensive enough (about 6000 US$ here in Switzerland) to hesitate with such a plan, and given my sonic preference which leans toward the dynamic principle since quite a while... I know the inherent qualities and downsides of the different transducer types quite a bit from own experiences as a speaker builder (having designed and built dynamic, planar and ribbon tranducers) on a DIY basis and as a highly interested auditioner at HiFi fairs, which of course doesn't exclude that one specific implementation excels in an optimal comromise for my sonic preferences. On the other hand, given my several auditions of the SR-007 in different systems (none of them with a high-end amp in the sense of the Head-fi High-End forum, though) which left me heavily disappointed, as well as my so-so satisaction with my own electrostats in view of the HD 800's qualities, I will withstand the temptation to go this route again. Moreover: I'm satisfied with my modified HD 800. Also, since I have the FiiO X5, which is my main digital source now, I can fine-tune the system like with different cables or amps – thanks to its 10-band equalizer with 0.2 dB steps (!), which opens a whole new world to me calling for eploration. I think now I can make the HD 800 sound like an electrostat, just better.

Of course I nevertheless look forward to the new electrostatic Sennheiser flagship. And who knows, if it's clearly better than everything else on the planet and at the same time passably affordable... At least so far nobody has claimed that it will need a $$$$$ amp to shine.

That's cool.

But just so you know, the SR-009 overcomes some of the limitations of prior electrostatic headphones (such as having better bass response) and can be imported from PriceJapan for under $3,000.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #263 of 603
Maybe I'll seize the opportunity to audition it when I'm in the vicinity of a Stax shop downtown.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #265 of 603
The latter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #266 of 603
Model higher than hd800 definitely coming this year and high end closed too: confirmed to me by Sennheiser Saturday

i went to a show on saturday and sennheiser rep also confirms they will be annoucing it soon, towards March/April time. the rep also said the price will be in the region of 1200-1500GBP, and thats roughly inline with LCD-X pricing in uk. 

also pioneer also got a prototype at the show. also aim at 1500GBP market. sounds very good, supreme details but one of the most relaxed sound i have heard. (it was hooked up to their new DAC/head amp). totally blew my D7100 away (i brought it with me at the time).

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #267 of 603
I have a very good Sennheiser insider, who just happens to be part of the [redacted].

They confirmed the upcoming larger Momentum for me months ago before CES, and I shared that here in a few threads.

They have confirmed there will be no higher than HD800 headphones in the HD series. Not this year. But there are fun things in the development labs.

However, there is something special planned for the 70th anniversary. Keep watching :)

Edit: There is a new amp too. Maybe :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back