Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon
Jan 8, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #227 of 603
If Sennheiser were to release a new SOTA headphone then history suggests they would not stop production of the HD800. on the other hand they seem to have launched around 13 new headphones at CES already. Is it possible then that they have taken production off the HD800s to support the launch of these new headphones which are bound to have a much larger volume thatn the HD800?

Just a thought.......

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #228 of 603
I received an official word from Sennheiser saying they don't plan an HD800 replacement for the next couple of years.

Imgur Post Link
(Removed)

Yes, it's just a customer service representative, but they at least answered the question and at least that's "something." Make the meaning of it what you prefer. Even though it is a way to get the HD800 sales going longer, I don't think they would blatantly lie and release a new flagship within the next year. At least not till CES 2016.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #230 of 603
Jan 11, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #232 of 603
  so..
No more upcoming flagship?

No, amazon listed that the black version was discontinued, not the HD800 itself. I did some searching and apparently there did exist a limited edition glossy Black version of the HD800. So that version of the HD800 was mostly likely discontinued.

Probably there will be an Orpheus II in a few years.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #233 of 603

There is only one stock version. Just ignore the Amazon descriptions. They're not always accurate.

And yes, there is no evidence that the HD 800 has been discontinued or will be any time soon.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD800

According to the battle of the flagships thread there did exist a limited black glossy edition of the HD800. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #234 of 603

No, amazon listed that the black version was discontinued, not the HD800 itself. I did some searching and apparently there did exist a limited edition glossy Black version of the HD800. So that version of the HD800 was mostly likely discontinued.

Probably there will be an Orpheus II in a few years.

thanks for the answer.

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #235 of 603
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD800

According to the battle of the flagships thread there did exist a limited black glossy edition of the HD800. 

Limited editions aren't really stock per se, even when they're official.

But ironically, the official limited edition HD 800 was black and blue.

To get the most amount of black, you'd have to get a custom one from ColorWare.

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #236 of 603
I think it pretty obvious that Sennheiser are going to release a new flagship maybe as other manufacturers like HiFiMan and Audeze are releasing or are about to release new flagships and big manufacturers always copy each other anyway.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #237 of 603
I think it pretty obvious that Sennheiser are going to release a new flagship maybe as other manufacturers like HiFiMan and Audeze are releasing or are about to release new flagships and big manufacturers always copy each other anyway.

Really? My $ is that Sennheiser will take their time and release one when they feel it's ready and not based on what other companies do. I've had my HD800s since 2010 and they are still selling very well (32000 serial numbers and counting) and the HD800s still are among the best headphones out there. Creating a successor to them won't be a simple task as they have to surpass some of the already excellent HD800s. 

Many thought they would be announced at CES and instead we got wireless Momentums and Urbanites. 
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #238 of 603
HD 800 at my dealer are well into the 35000 serial numbers, and for such a boutique niche product at such a high price point, that's quite an accomplishment :) Well done Sennheiser!

Now why in the world would they ruin that success with a yet unproven new flagship that could take a year or two to find a place in this small market, and exactly what would they improve upon the HD 800, when it is basically an accepted reference standard in the headphones world?

And how much do they have to charge for it and how would they justify it? lol

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #239 of 603
Really? My $ is that Sennheiser will take their time and release one when they feel it's ready and not based on what other companies do. I've had my HD800s since 2010 and they are still selling very well (32000 serial numbers and counting) and the HD800s still are among the best headphones out there. Creating a successor to them won't be a simple task as they have to surpass some of the already excellent HD800s. 

Many thought they would be announced at CES and instead we got wireless Momentums and Urbanites. :wink:

I totally agree that hd800 are maybe a tough act to beat and I love my pair too :)

HD 800 at my dealer are well into the 35000 serial numbers, and for such a boutique niche product at such a high price point, that's quite an accomplishment :) Well done Sennheiser!

Now why in the world would they ruin that success with a yet unproven new flagship that could take a year or two to find a place in this small market, and exactly what would they improve upon the HD 800, when it is basically an accepted reference standard in the headphones world?

And how much do they have to charge for it and how would they justify it? lol

i own the hd800 too but don't think whatsoever that if Sennheiser release a successor to it (HD850, 900 whatever etc) that they would "ruin that success" as if manufacturers adopted that kind of rest on your laurels attitude then new innovations and progression just would never develop.

Consider that you simply would not even own the hd800 if Sennheiser did not improve and innovate from their prior flagship model.

I'm sure Sennheiser are a big enough firm to be able to work out how much to charge for their new release headphones and they seem quite capable to justify themselves through their innovations and after all you bought their hd800's right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back