Rugged, closed headphones for under $150?
May 17, 2010 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dronecrow

New Head-Fier
Hi, I know that this question comes up again and again, but despite lurking for the last week or so, I can't seem to track down a definite answer.

I currently own a pair of Grado Alessandro MS Ones (thanks to lurking this site), and love them, but need a pair for when I'm out and about. I take public transport to and from school/work, and I know that these babies are going to let too much sound in and out.

My budget for this purchase is $150, I could go a little higher if it's worth it, but not much.

Sound wise, I listen to a lot of rock, hip/hop, ambient and just your basic singer-songwriter stuff. Midrange is important, and I'd like to have some decent bass for when I feel like strutting around to some badass beats, but I don't need it to be the main show, nor do I need extremely good highs.

The most important aspect that I'm looking for is durability. Comfort is a close second, and looks are third. I tend to be a little mean to whichever phones I'm wandering around with and go through the cheapies pretty quickly. This wasn't a problem in the past, but now that I have my grados, I know what I'm missing with those things.

Right now I'm looking at the M-Audio Studiophile Q40 (mostly for the replaceable cord aspect) and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s. Ideally I would prefer either the Denon AH-D1000 or the Audio-Technica ES7 (because they look so damn sexy), but I'm scared that I'd end up destroying the cord within a year.

Ideally what I'm looking for is pretty good sound, comfortable, and a replaceable cord. Or if no replaceable cord, something extremely durable.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, sorry in advance if there's like seven identical threads today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back