Rudistor XJ-03
Sep 9, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #46 of 86
I have my XJ-03 for a weeks now,compared to my past Iqube(sold it to a headfier),the Iqube is slightly more detail,and the Xj-03 is very musical and clean,I prefer the XJ-03 for its sound but not its shape,lol

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #47 of 86
How do you think the Rudistor sounds compared to the Hornet? Is it about the same size/shape?

I'm tempted by the iQube, but it looks like a total pain in the arse to open up and charge the batteries!

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #48 of 86
I reread that to make sure he said carpeted floor... that sounds really really fragile. I'll wait till I hear at least one other horror story on the durability of the rudi portable before taking it as a real fear, though

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #49 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am home for a few days. The XJ03 is now on its way back to Rudistor. I do hope it will get fixed and back to me soon.

Will report later.

F. Lo

Sorry your amp broke. I'm sure they'll get it patched up for you.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #50 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reread that to make sure he said carpeted floor... that sounds really really fragile. I'll wait till I hear at least one other horror story on the durability of the rudi portable before taking it as a real fear, though

With all fairness, the XJ03 is robust. The problem with my drop was that it dropped with everything connected - and upon impact there will be a big force acting upon a relative fragile mini-plug. I am pretty sure if it is only the amp alone that was dropped, without anything attached, the XJ03 should have survived the event.

One may say that with input and output at both ends of the XJ03, the odds of having one of the mini-jack affected will increase compared to those amps designed to have inputs and outputs all on the same side.

I did report this to Rudi and he promised to have my amp fixed as soon as he received it. I have very good experience with Rudi on the service side so I am not worried.

F. Lo

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #51 of 86
Dear F.Lo,

Sorry for bad luck, a replacement amp is ready for you, However
solidity is a strong point of this amp. It passed severe tests-
very_evil_smiley.gif

XJ03-vs%20V8.jpg

( Car is an heavy G.Cherokee 6L and amp is the one I use daily
happy_face1.gif
)

Rudi

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #52 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear F.Lo,

very_evil_smiley.gif

Rudi

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the prompt feedback and great service. And I will wait eagerly for the replacement amp when ready.

F. Lo

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #53 of 86
Love that picture!

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #54 of 86
Quote:

However
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nice test! Do you do the same with your home amps?
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #55 of 86
I have now had the amp about a month. I've compared it many times with my iQube using Edition 9's, AKG 701's and Denon 5000's. The amp has settled in nicely and is a smooth pleasure to listen to. It has a very refined presentation, not forward, and the resolution is comparable to the IQube. It is also very efficient with a single charge lasting many hours. I think it is best paired with the Edition 9's and the Denon's and slightly less favorable with AKG. I did not use it with my Sennheiser 650's or Grado RS-1's or Audio Technica as I simply don't use those headphones enough to make solid comparisons.

The Edition 9's make a great companion. The bass is tight and the Rudistor warm signature is quite apparent. The amp also seems to do very well with the Denons and tightens the Denon's bass which many people find heavy. The AKG's are power easity and efficiently by the amp and the soundstage typical of AKG listening is uncompromised.

That said, my preference needle might point still just slightly to the iQube. But, it is mostly a matter of taste not performance. The iQube is so detailed that I've become very accustomed to its signature. The Rudistor is classic Rudistor sound, but a bit more "laid back" by comparison. Still, I carry both with me as portables all the time. They make a nice comparison.

On a final note, I wish the Rudistor had replaceable battery alternatives like the iQube does. I think in some ways this improves the sonic presentation, but in all respects is much more convenient on the road.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #56 of 86
Quote:

Dear F.Lo,

very_evil_smiley.gif

XJ03-vs%20V8.jpg

( Car is an heavy G.Cherokee 6L and amp is the one I use daily
happy_face1.gif
)

Rudi

In all fairness, even extruded aluminum cased portable amps can easily survive being run over with a car's tire. There simply is not that much force per square inch being applied by the rubber in an inflated car tire.

The achilles heel of all portable amps are the non secured, floating mini jacks. The only way to really beef up the inputs and outputs is to have a mini jack with a threaded jack, and have that secured to the front panel itself. Of course those jacks are larger, but the XJ03 looks pretty large compared to other portable amps, so it looks like it could more readily handle the extra space needed.

The ridiculously massive 3.5mm plugs on popular LOD's are to blame.

Bravo, for replacing fkclo's amp, though. Honestly, I don't believe warranties should cover accidental damage from plugged in LOD's. But it's nice to see Rudistor covering the damage.

-Ed

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #58 of 86
Actually, a threaded jack is not necessarily needed. However, a protruding jack with a very close fitting accommodating hole in the plate will help with stress on the jack. Of course the jack must be properly and securely attached to the board as well. Ray's amps have slightly extruding jacks which I've noticed immediately and was very delighted by when I was testing out a Predator.

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #59 of 86
Just ordered one, will be interesting to see how it compares sonically with my RPX-100. Hope to be using it with a Sony D25 (if Quaddy has made up his mind to sell to me). Wonder how that combo will stack up against my iBasso D1 plus D-NE920 optical out.

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #60 of 86
i just ordered mine 2 days ago! should arrived by monday, can't wait for it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back