Rudistor realeased a new flagship amp
Mar 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #61 of 172
There is a demo unit in the HongKong show room, maybe you can just go and have a look. But beware, the system there is not as good as yours and seem to be perform not as good as yours Ear909.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #62 of 172

Quote:
How's the sound of the 030?

i'll be going later today(thur).  wanna come
evil_smiley.gif
.  i'll be going to Jackie's place after, with t5p of course

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #63 of 172

Quote:

But as far as doing custom B22 boards, that is not allowed by AMB.  If a builder is to sell a Beta22, he must buy the parts from AMB.

I waited for a direct response from Ti, who says this is FLAT OUT NOT TRUE.
You absolutely can, and in this case should do a custom board set. 
As far as the chassis set, most of the parts come from EOL'd parts
from CODA anyway, you did a lot less work than you have pretended to
do.

The thickness of any particular piece of metal is pretty much irrevelant compared to other factors.
It takes virtually the same amount of machine time to drill or machine a hole in .25 thick
material as it does .625 material.

As far as a machine shop i like, my future stuff will be from DYNACOIL in Zion Il,
contact Pat Guy.  These are the people that were split off from the Baxter Labs Skunkworks.
The quality of the stuff they make is outrageous, and the prices are reasonable. They also do bending
like the smaller SP chassis.

The picture of my T2 was the prototype. Not polished, Not anodized.
Custom extrusions for the heatsinks and fronts/backs. You can
look elsewhere for pictures of fully finished units. All CAD design by
me personally. All machine G code by me personally. Machined
by me personally.

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #64 of 172

Quote:Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

do.

Wow!!

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #65 of 172

Quote:
do.

The thickness of any particular piece of metal is pretty much irrevelant compared to other factors.
It takes virtually the same amount of machine time to drill or machine a hole in .25 thick
material as it does .625 material.

As far as a machine shop i like, my future stuff will be from DYNACOIL in Zion Il,
contact Pat Guy.  These are the people that were split off from the Baxter Labs Skunkworks.
The quality of the stuff they make is outrageous, and the prices are reasonable. They also do bending
like the smaller SP chassis.

The picture of my T2 was the prototype. Not polished, Not anodized.
Custom extrusions for the heatsinks and fronts/backs. You can
look elsewhere for pictures of fully finished units. All CAD design by
me personally. All machine G code by me personally. Machined
by me personally.

Ti told me he requests that all the parts be purchased from him if they are going to be for sale.  I am not going to debate this.  But I had no intention of re-designing the amp anyway.  What he did mention was I could have done a backplane board for it after the amp was finished, but there are reasons I did not do that.

What work have I "pretended" to do?  Anyone who read the original thread or the recent thread on AMB know that some of the parts come from Coda, but that was only for this prototype.  This is no secret.  Those parts will no longer be available from them since they are changing them.  This has nothing to do with my front and rear panels, knob, button, chassis feet, or bracket designs.

Why do I have to search for your pictures, Kevin?  Why not just post them?  What are you afraid of?  I don't care if you had them polished and anodized afterwards, and had some custom heatsinks.  You can't compare the cost of your chassis to mine.  You have no idea what the back of my panels look like nor have you seen the CAD files, so you can't claim to know anything about the programming time involved in such project.

This is the last response I intend to post towards you or anyone else from the Head-Case mafia who finds it their sole mission in life to trash talk other components that aren't related to Stax or a Gilmore design in some way shape, or form.  I have already provided you with more detail than most companies ever would, and have been honest with every word I've said.  Those who have been involved in this can certainly verify that.  I certainly don't need your "seal of approval."  There are several people (most professionally) already waiting to review the amp and publish it.

Have a pleasant day.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #66 of 172
Since BJ can't search, here is my T2 while doing the chassis fitting with my custom titanium volume knob:

I wonder how much better the knob will make the sound.. If you want something even more insane, how about this other project of mine - a Blue Hawaii in a milled from solid block of aircraft grade aluminum:

Either of these boxes cost a whole lot less then what BJ is claiming his boxes cost.  

I don't think anybody that knows KG and me would question how much we respect Ti and his work.  The B22 is a brilliant amp but the issue here is what makes this one worth 15k$ or what ever insane amount BJ is going to charge for it?  I've seen the insides and it's nothing you won't find in a good DIY B22 (vishay RN resistors, Panasonic electrolytic caps, wima films, DACT 4-gang etc.)  so what makes it any better?  I've seen DIY B22's with far better layout and attention to detail let alone the output protection circuit which I think is mandatory for this circuit.   

As for Plitron, you are fine when buying their stock transformers, over priced but work well enough.  It's the custom stuff they muck up most of the time.  They did work for ML and Krell but that was a long time ago...

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #67 of 172
Is it really necessary to call people names to get your point across?  PJ sent me a few updates during the production of his amp and because he's such an OCD perfectionist with anything made of metal, it did cost a lot of money to get it done right.  Perhaps if you have a lot of ins or find the right person you can get it done for less, but a lot of the casework was pretty complex.  It's all well and good that you can make a beta for less, but it does cost a fortune to have a B22 with a configuration like this one, it's not like he would be making much on this if he does get production going.  It would be a problem if he were charging $20,000 for a beta that cost him $10,000 out of pocket to produce, but that is not the case at all.  The sheer number of people that have to be paid to get the various parts is high.  In any case, I don't think you'd like it if we changed a few of the letters in your name, although I'm pretty sure that'd hit the head-fi language filter.  

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #68 of 172

Quote:
If you want something even more insane, how about this other project of mine - a Blue Hawaii in a milled from solid block of aircraft grade aluminum:  

The cover's just strung between the two sides like a hammock with nothing supporting it in the middle?

se

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #69 of 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for Plitron, you are fine when buying their stock transformers, over priced but work well enough.  It's the custom stuff they muck up most of the time.  They did work for ML and Krell but that was a long time ago...

Thanks for the answer.

Btw... I see that you caught Kevin Gilmore's sad habit to post heavy pictures.  
wink.gif

More on the topic: how has the discussion gone from Rudistor's amp (with its sub-par topology and components, with cool but useless vu meters and big heatsinks, a case that's basically a 120€ hifi2000 3U dissipante with custom panels) to an amplifier which might not be perfect but still has a probably way lower markup ratio (whether or not the enclosure cost 1500 or 2500$) and certainly requires a lot more time to put together ?

Edit : it this for me only or were the internal pics from the Rudistor's amp pulled from that Asian website ?

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #70 of 172
Looks like the internals shots came from that Chinese message board.  I agree with you on your analysis of the two amps.  

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #71 of 172
What part of this amp looks promising exactly?

I'm amused by the "[size=x-small]RP030 are handcreafted at RudiStor R&D labs in Italy following a trdition of outstanding qulity and style" statement[/size] when he or whoever manages that website can't even spell the word correctly.
Even if he is not a native English speaker, there is just no excuse to this kind of sloppiness. Just using a spell check feature would correct most of these errors and make it look slightly better, even if the grammar is somewhat awkward, but that whole description looks like he wrote it in 5 minutes on a phone touchpad or something.

Similar to that portable amplifier that they released a while back, the whole product description reads like "this amp is very very good and uses very very good parts so it is the best" but doesn't or barely mentions anything substantial in the way of technology/parts used.
Nor are there any pictures of the internals just like with the portable, of which the internals were cheap looking to say the least.
Only this time it's about 10 times as expensive as well, for $5000 one would expect better.

I'm really baffled by why anyone would buy these amps when there are so many alternatives out there that do present their product in a proper and more open manner at non extortion rates.

agree with you

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #72 of 172
Many moons ago, a person who thought he was wise tried to tell me how many tens of thousands of dollars he spent on his gerber files
for his circuit boards.  Since i had already been doing circuit boards for 20 years before that, and on every kind of computer
known to man, i knew that this person was either lying, or completely ignorant of the world at the time.

The same thing these days with computer aided machining. This stuff is trivial. This is no more or less complicated than
anything else, and the back panels of my amplifiers look exactly the same as that of others. machined holes for the amphenol
jacks, machined holes for the xlr jacks, machined holes for the IEC inlet jacks...

here is an early example of my amplifier top panel.  I can certainly post all of the rest of the final versions tomorrow, as those
files are deliberately behind a firewall.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/toppanel.jpg

very soon now my new pictures will be twice as heavy. Actually a bit more  :D

The newest rudistor amp seems no different from any of the previous units in either design or
performance. At least the build quality is finally getting slightly better. Price seems a bit
extreme.  The meters are actually used to set the input stage bias, and are not VU meters.

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #73 of 172
I gave up on Page 2. Sorry if I missed a post from someone who has actually heard the new Rudistor amp.
The bitching constantly amazes me...from people that haven't even heard the amp!

Listen.....then comment.....or bitch..whatever....but LISTEN first.

There have been many many examples here of equipment that sounds WAY better than the some of their parts
would suggest.

Flame if you want but listen to it first.

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #74 of 172
though i've found this thread interesting, i've refrained from posting mainly because of my EE ignorance & more likely, my unlikeness to own multi$kilo headgear. to be honest i do find certain posts a bit hmmmm...lets just say forward, aggressive & not so politically polite
tongue.gif
 so i can certainly understand why certain quarters mite find it nasty & rude. i've no idea who's right or not so right but the impression i get is indignation & fluster in the face of criticism. however at no point was any of the critiques factually refuted. 

perhaps theres a bit of hidden enmity & agendas behind the scenes that im not privy to but (excuse my ignorance if im wrong) shouldnt mfgrs be subject to criticism however extreme? how else do we separate the stink from the manure if Q&A isnt part of the curriculum vitae. i can understand if Larry Curly & Moe were asking but even an EE ignorasmus like me have heard of ppl like Pete Millett & Kevin Gilmore &  i for one, am extremely stoked that gurus like them deem it fit to contribute their time & knowledge in this forum so that mortals like myself can acquire some enlightenment (fatchance im sure).

afterall Gold is Gold however much one dislikes the color of yellow, the burden of its weight, the storage headaches & the nastiness if its anti oxidation properties. question is...are these barbs personal or legitimate issues? 

pardon me for asking
redface.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #75 of 172
While some of what you say may be true, i'm one of a number of people still repairing
singlepower things more than 2 years later. The amount of money people lost on
product never delivered, and product that failed is staggering. To that end, when i
see products that are of dubious quality and are seriously overpriced it frustrates
me not to speak up.  There is plenty of high quality product out there that goes
unnoticed because of the lack of hyper inflated rhetoric by fanboys.

Just because it looks pretty on the outside does not mean the quality inside
matches the appearance. If you want something that looks pretty, then buy
B&O.

If you think that the same parts in a fancy chassis are going to magically
sound wonderful and better, then think again, and go and buy B&O.

A used Firstwatt will blow the doors off of a rp030 at half the price. And balanced
too. Instead of the same old thing over and over at higher and higher prices.
Seriously you need to hear a firstwatt on difficult to drive headphones and
you can still use it as a speaker amp if you have high efficiency speakers.

I think that the insides of the bellatone need some work, and yes i have seen
all of the "secret" pictures. At least 3 different people sent them to me asking
my opinion.

I'm going to lay out a board that matches the chassis better, then get Ti's
approval, then give away the layout. The motorised dac thing needs to be
replaced with Ti's new high resolution digital attenuator which is way
superior for high powered amplifiers like the B22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back