Rudistor launches Coriolan: the ultimate amp for HE90/O2
Jan 9, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #106 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I happen to have inside information and i can tell you that ROAM guy is plain wrong!

Post it and prove it. Put up or shut up. Schematics and calculations, explain why all the claimed specifications are possible and true. You have 24 hours, failure to post proof of your position is an automatic concession.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #107 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has this particular individual ever held a soldering iron, does he know how to read a schematic and the fundamentals in amp design. If so I'll value his opinion but if he thinks that music is magic then I'll pass.

i find this statement problematic and troubling yet unfortunately common among the DIY crowd - namely, that opinions as to sound, in particular what one perceives as sounding good or not, are only valid if the person also has technical knowledge about the components he is listening to. that seems to be what you are suggesting and i find it to be an odd and somewhat arrogant position to take. i fail to see how a person who loves music and has a wide array of experience listening to audio gear should be any less perceptive or discerning as to the merits of a particular component to reproduce sound. just because someone can hold an iron doesn't mean their judgments are infallible or more correct than those of us who cannot.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #108 of 164
Quote:

Stop defending him, you dropped your shield, everybody is poking right through it! It is really getting embarassing for you now, so please drop the act, ok?!

I happen to have inside information and i can tell you that ROAM guy is plain wrong! That's what you get by looking at a chassis and talking voodoo! The worst thing is, some of you might actually believe all what he is saying! Well, he might impress you lot, not me or any other (professional) designer. I guess he didn't hack it in the audio business that's why he turned to designing equipment/instruments. (recognize the sentence? only this time in reverse!)

Have a nice day all.

Thank god for free thinking and using your mind for free, most of you just lack the capacity.

You should take your own advice Mr. close minded .... and I am defending him. Someone expresses an opinion you cant decipher so you attack them. I think he understands tubes and their operation and you dont.

Inside information?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #109 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find this statement problematic and troubling yet unfortunately common among the DIY crowd - namely, that opinions as to sound, in particular what one perceives as sounding good or not, are only valid if the person also has technical knowledge about the components he is listening to. that seems to be what you are suggesting and i find it to be an odd and somewhat arrogant position to take.

Spritzer and myself are looking at the overall technical merits of the amp, and whether the claimed performance & specifications are plausible. Neither of us has made any guesses as to the sound of the amp, at this point, speaking for myself, I'm more interested in what makes it tick than what it may sound like. I want to know if it's truly a groundbreaking design as the manufacturer claims or if it's just another recycled warmed over turd. The evidence to date points towards the latter.

Quote:

i fail to see how a person who loves music and has a wide array of experience listening to audio gear should be any less perceptive or discerning as to the merits of a particular component to reproduce sound. just because someone can hold an iron doesn't mean their judgments are infallible or more correct than those of us who cannot.

If the goal is simply "find out how it sounds", you'd have a point. However, the goal is not only the above, as I mentioned earlier I'd like to know the technical details as well. Do the claims & specifications hold water, or were they crapped out the rear end of a cow? Right now I see several impossible and contradictory claims by Rudistor, I want to see them cleared up one way or the other.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #110 of 164
Quote:

i find this statement problematic and troubling yet unfortunately common among the DIY crowd - namely, that opinions as to sound, in particular what one perceives as sounding good or not, are only valid if the person also has technical knowledge about the components he is listening to. that seems to be what you are suggesting and i find it to be an odd and somewhat arrogant position to take. i fail to see how a person who loves music and has a wide array of experience listening to audio gear should be any less perceptive or discerning as to the merits of a particular component to reproduce sound. just because someone can hold an iron doesn't mean their judgments are infallible or more correct than those of us who cannot.

Your view here would be correct if Spritzer had said anything about the SQ of the amp. However he hasn't. What he has said is that stated specs can't me made by the architecture and components used and that they don't justify the price. Then Sprintzer gave examples backing his statements. So to effectively refute that, a person will have to have at least a modicum of analog circuit design knowledge.

To be able to argue about the Coriolan's SQ, we'll have to wait until people have actually heard it.

Please note that I'm not taking his side. I just see him arguing one point and others (you in this case) arguing a different point. Such a discussion is not very useful.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #111 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a cable debate?
tongue.gif

C'mon - 'Marketecture' and sales 'puffing' are long honored traditions in audio marketing, and specs (to the purchaser) as meaningless as yesterday's newspaper, except to line the litterbox. Fun to observe, and poke a bit of fun to keep the genuous vendors honest, and shame the less so into a hasty retreat.

You've nailed this. My favorite example of "over enthusiastic" marketing was done by Pioneer in the late 1970s. The marketing blurb described a new tonearm as "more massive, yet lighter" than the previous version. One of the audio mags congratulated Pioneer on not only coming up with an anti-gravity device, but on making it small enough and cheap enough to put into a tonearm!
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #112 of 164
Quote:

Well, he might impress you lot, not me or any other (professional) designer.

Funny how someone who calls himself a "professional designer" doesn't know what a filament snubber cap is. In case you're thinking about editing your post to hide your boo-boo, your ignorance is preserved for all to see in post #233 in the thread. A screen capture also exists on my computer in case you feel compelled to delete your entire post.

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #114 of 164
Fascinating train accident you have here.
Some contributors to the mess aren't even known for being interested in electrostats at all ..........
Seems ruining what's left of the reputation is a team sport nowadays.

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #115 of 164
Very interesting read so far. Although I don't agree with Spritzer regarding the Stax Omega being better than the HE90, but he does have a point regarding the specifications of the CorioIan amp. I hope the sound quality does justify the pricetag.

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #116 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think we disagree - as I've said, it is not well understood what the differences are between what can be measured and can be perceived. I think it's not incorrect to interpret your position as: "let's overbuild every component and try to avoid all negative effects that we can think of (eg. temperature, vibration etc.) - then hopefully what we get in the end will have the best sound as we would have taken care of whatever it is that can affect it that we don't know how to measure."

That's basically it. There is also the question of the right measurements as distortion is just to boast but output impedance and slew rate are both clues to the amps performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting read so far. Although I don't agree with Spritzer regarding the Stax Omega being better than the HE90, but he does have a point regarding the specifications of the CorioIan amp. I hope the sound quality does justify the pricetag.

We both know we will never see eye to eye on the He90-SR-007 thing but we are clearly looking for different things. You really need to track down a SR-Omega as while it is similar to the SR-007 in many ways it is also more atmospheric and slightly euphonic, a bit like the HE90.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #117 of 164
Quote:

i find this statement problematic and troubling yet unfortunately common among the DIY crowd - namely, that opinions as to sound, in particular what one perceives as sounding good or not, are only valid if the person also has technical knowledge about the components he is listening to.

No, this isn't really a DIY thing, it's an informed consumer thing. For example, I can tell by looking at a violin what style it is built in and this will give me a good idea of what it will sound like before I play it. Can I build a violin? no certainly not. Do I know what goes into building one, what trade-offs are made? ya, somewhat, but not at luthier level, just from what experiences I have gained in the past and bring to the issue at hand in the present. Why waste my time playing 1,000s of instruments when I can "judge a book by its cover" and narrow it down to 1% of those? Is it possible I'll miss a diamond in the rough in this down-select process? Possibly, but as you gain more experience this is less likely. Still, it's a chance you take... this is because this allows you more time and energy with the instruments that have the highest probability of matching your particular goals.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #118 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny how someone who calls himself a "professional designer" doesn't know what a filament snubber cap is. In case you're thinking about editing your post to hide your boo-boo, your ignorance is preserved for all to see in post #233 in the thread. A screen capture also exists on my computer in case you feel compelled to delete your entire post.

I told you allready in the bada thread that i am NOT a designer, let alone a professional one. I am still learnign step by step, rome wasn't build in one day and you certainly didn't get your "knowledge"instandly! That was one of the reasons why i had the bada modded professionally, remember?! The ones who are, had a good laugh at your expense. So that is what they think about your expertise.
cool.gif
wink.gif

So this post was quite useless to you. Are you really that thick, ROAM and too full of yourself that you need small things like this to make you feel good?!

Also i am not the one judging an amp that i didn't hear or that i didn't see with my own eyes from the inside.

If i were a decent man, i would contact Rudi by phone, PM him or anything else then posting slander without any real knowledge about the amp in this thread. This is the only correct way to gain inside knowledge and to ask the man in person about his designer philosophies.

Some might call it slander; i know one thing that a good lawer would eat you for breakfast! Ignorant idiot.

Funny that a man who "thinks " that he is a designer doesn't have a look inside but instead just practise voodoo.
wink.gif

In the end, you're just an old whining woman spreading gossip and slander.
very "professional" attitude for a smart man as you claim to be.
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif

To me, you're still a big laugh and your posts read like a big ego trip.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #119 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, this isn't really a DIY thing, it's an informed consumer thing. For example, I can tell by looking at a violin what style it is built in and this will give me a good idea of what it will sound like before I play it. Can I build a violin? no certainly not. Do I know what goes into building one, what trade-offs are made? ya, somewhat, but not at luthier level, just from what experiences I have gained in the past and bring to the issue at hand in the present. Why waste my time playing 1,000s of instruments when I can "judge a book by its cover" and narrow it down to 1% of those? Is it possible I'll miss a diamond in the rough in this down-select process? Possibly, but as you gain more experience this is less likely. Still, it's a chance you take... this is because this allows you more time and energy with the instruments that have the highest probability of matching your particular goals.

No you can't; over the years alot of so calles hi-fi experts came across many surprises, wich they didn't suspect on paper!
wink.gif

Being cables, amps, sources etc.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #120 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. This is how you avoid "voodoo".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back