Rudistor Egmont Signature is here!
Feb 20, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations with the RudiStor!
biggrin.gif

Very little have been posted about it on Head-Fi, so I am waiting for more details.

...and of course some pictures.

Yeah, I noticed that there were only a small handful of posts on the Egmont Signature. To be honest, I initially ordered because of a lack of options... I had cancelled my Blue Hawaii SE order because of long delays and, according to Head-Fi wisdom, I would have had the same problem (if not worse) with SinglePower, so Rudistor seemed to be the only remaining choice in the price bracket ($4-5K) that I was looking at.

Thank god I took a chance! This is an incredible amp and worth every penny. I seriously want to give Stax a kick in the balls for not making an amp capable of driving the Omega 2; the best analogy I can give is that running an Omega 2 out of a stock Stax amp is like driving an HD650 out of an iPod. It's that bad... if you haven't heard an aftermarket amp, you haven't heard what these cans are capable of. And the Stax amp isn't exactly cheap, either. What gives with this? Stax is competent enough to make an incredible headphone but their amp might as well be made out of Legos
mad.gif
. I can hear corporate penny pinchers laughing all the way to the bank given that a huge amount of their customers don't even know there are options for the amps.

I'll do my best at getting pictures tonight if I can drag myself away from listening to music for a few minutes... tonight I'm going to run the amp into the HE60 and see if the improvement is as large as it was with the Stax headphones.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh - i know how you feel. trust me. i have to deal with all the laughs and snickers from the B52 owners about my lil ole Apache.
frown.gif
tongue.gif

But we're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 66
earwicker7, thanks for keeping us posted.
I have never heard any of the aftermarket electrostatic amplifiers, and hence don't really know what I am missing out on. But most members agree that they (or at least most of them) are way ahead of the Stax amplifiers, so I would like to go there some day.

Its great to see "brave" people going for those more or less unknown alternatives. I personally have my hopes for the HeadAmp KGBH SE, which I am ready to order if I like what I see...

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

I personally have my hopes for the HeadAmp KGBH SE, which I am ready to order if I like what I see...

isn't that a limited run and are not all the ones being made already accounted for?

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #20 of 66
Earwicker7,

Congratulations. I am jealous waiting for the KGBH SE. This is very tempting!

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I noticed that there were only a small handful of posts on the Egmont Signature. To be honest, I initially ordered because of a lack of options... I had cancelled my Blue Hawaii SE order because of long delays and, according to Head-Fi wisdom, I would have had the same problem (if not worse) with SinglePower, so Rudistor seemed to be the only remaining choice in the price bracket ($4-5K) that I was looking at.

I'm really glad you're happy with it. Sounds like you're thrilled, actually! As I recall (if I'm recalling correctly, but sometimes I get confused), you had asked my opinion about it via PM. My opinion, of course, is that it's an excellent amp and several steps above the Stax amps I'm familiar with (I owned the 007t and have heard the 006t). In any case, what matters most is your ears. It's just that I hate giving advice to people who haven't had a chance to do their own listening, because you never know; sometimes it doesn't turn out so well as it did for you.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

isn't that a limited run and are not all the ones being made already accounted for?

Yes, all the 13 units in the first batch are accounted for. But Justin have mentioned a batch #2...

I fail to understand why he don't release the amplifier, take running orders for an unlimited number of units, then build those. Exactly like he does for the GS-1, GS-X, Pico, etc.
Let it be 13 or 50 units...

But thats another discussion!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 66
Justin has mentioned that he'll make a 2nd run of the KGBH SE due to high demand. I was originally on the 2nd run but due to a recent order cancellation, I was fortunate to be placed on the 1st run.

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

still awaiting pics of this beauty ...

I took some last night but haven't had a chance to upload them yet.

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

Yes, all the 13 units in the first batch are accounted for. But Justin have mentioned a batch #2...

i didn't know that. interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Justin has mentioned that he'll make a 2nd run of the KGBH SE due to high demand. I was originally on the 2nd run but due to a recent order cancellation, I was fortunate to be placed on the 1st run.

now i see the connection of the recent sales (L3000 and Apache). It should be worth it. but i still think you will miss dynamics. after spending a few weeks straight with my 1.3, i was curious how it would be going back to my dynamic rig - it's still as good as ever. no disappointment. of course, i wasn't running my 1.3 through a BH, so i am sure there are still levels of performace to hear which i have yet to.

Quote:

I took some last night but haven't had a chance to upload them yet.

can't wait.

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #27 of 66
I did some listening to the HE-60 on the Rudistor last night. There wasn't a huge amount of difference between the performance with the Stax amp, and to be honest, I think they sounded a little bit better on the Stax. The bass improves somewhat with the Rudistor, but the treble becomes a bit too much, almost like the GS-1000. This may be a good thing for some people who are fond of that sound, but not for me. I think this is evidence that the Stax amp isn't necessarily a bad amp, it's just the absolute wrong amp for the Omega 2.

That being said, just so this doesn't sound like a negative post, I'd like to once again emphatically point out that this amp is incredible with the Omega 2 to the point that they absolutely humiliate my dynamic cans (and I've got some of the best... Ed9, GS-1000, HD650, modded AH-D5000, K701, DT880). I think it's more of an issue with synergy on the HE-60 and some people may have the opposite reaction and really enjoy the way it makes them sound.

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

I did some listening to the HE-60 on the Rudistor last night. There wasn't a huge amount of difference between the performance with the Stax amp, and to be honest, I think they sounded a little bit better on the Stax. The bass improves somewhat with the Rudistor, but the treble becomes a bit too much, almost like the GS-1000. This may be a good thing for some people who are fond of that sound, but not for me. I think this is evidence that the Stax amp isn't necessarily a bad amp, it's just the absolute wrong amp for the Omega 2.

That being said, just so this doesn't sound like a negative post, I'd like to once again emphatically point out that this amp is incredible with the Omega 2 to the point that they absolutely humiliate my dynamic cans (and I've got some of the best... Ed9, GS-1000, HD650, modded AH-D5000, K701, DT880). I think it's more of an issue with synergy on the HE-60 and some people may have the opposite reaction and really enjoy the way it makes them sound.

For me the secret is in choosing the right tubes.
I can't speak for the Egmont Signature, but in the Classic:
Sylvania Bad Boys for the HE60.
Sylvania VT231 for the O2.

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the secret is in choosing the right tubes.
I can't speak for the Egmont Signature, but in the Classic:
Sylvania Bad Boys for the HE60.
Sylvania VT231 for the O2.

My wallet hates you
mad.gif
. I hadn't even considered tube rolling for the HE-60; maybe once I sell my Stax amp...

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

My wallet hates you
mad.gif
. I hadn't even considered tube rolling for the HE-60; maybe once I sell my Stax amp...

Trouble is: Who wants a Stax amp?
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back