Rudistor Egmont Signature is here!
Feb 25, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #61 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused now... in an earlier post you stated that the problem with the non-Gilmore amps is that they are too clinical, but now you are stating that one of the strengths of a Gilmore amp is that it is more resolving, which is a big (if not the biggest) part of the clinical sound.

confused.gif

I've never called the Gilmore amps clinical (not that I remember at least
confused.gif
) but the KGSS can be a bit sterile in stock form. There is a certain lack of the harmonic richness you get from a good tubeamp but I'd still take it over the lush mess of the likes of Cary. The Blue Hawaii is much better even with new production SED tubes let alone Mullards so never clinical.

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never called the Gilmore amps clinical (not that I remember at least
confused.gif
) but the KGSS can be a bit sterile in stock form. There is a certain lack of the harmonic richness you get from a good tubeamp but I'd still take it over the lush mess of the likes of Cary. The Blue Hawaii is much better even with new production SED tubes let alone Mullards so never clinical.

I guess I'm thinking that "resolving" and "clinical" are similar (though not identical) words... would you agree?

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #63 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm thinking that "resolving" and "clinical" are similar (though not identical) words... would you agree?

These are very different things to me. Clinical is like the 4070 where it exposes all the detail but lacks the natural musical warmth that makes the SR-007 resolving yet musical. The 4070 is a bad example though as all ESP's have a certain musicality to them so dynamics can often be more clinical. In a nut shell a system can be resolving yet not clinical and the ever so elusive musicality is most often just a coloration making the sound too warm and mushy.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #64 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are very different things to me. Clinical is like the 4070 where it exposes all the detail but lacks the natural musical warmth that makes the SR-007 resolving yet musical. The 4070 is a bad example though as all ESP's have a certain musicality to them so dynamics can often be more clinical. In a nut shell a system can be resolving yet not clinical and the ever so elusive musicality is most often just a coloration making the sound too warm and mushy.

Gotcha... makes sense now.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #65 of 66
i agree with all that.

clinical = analytical and maybe a bit neutral/sterile and leaning toward bright.
resolving = high amount of resolution and detail.
musical = euphonic and maybe also a bit colored and warm sounding.

maybe something like this

clinical ------ resolving ------ musical

ideally you want to be in the middle, but most systems or pieces of equipment lean toward one side or the other.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #66 of 66
Earwicker7,

Congratulations and thanks for bringing this to us vicariously. I am sure it will be a show stopper...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back