Rudistor Egmont Signature is here!
Feb 22, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #46 of 66
dscn0087zv6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlaxowjd155 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very honest and helpful comment about HE60's amp matching I've been looking for..
I totally agree with your opinion.
So long time I've searched HE60 amp matching in this forum, and finally concluded that HE60 has a limitted ability of upgrading their potential in matching amp.
As many people knows, HE60 is very easy to drive.
Someone in this forum insisted that even HE60 matching with ES-1 is not far more upgrade than his matching experience with 717. Foremore, A friend of mine has purchased KGSS recently and said to me that matching with KGSS is good for O2 but not as good for HE60 as beeing matched with 007t for his ear.
Because HE60 is not popular in electrostatic users, There are few information about its amp matching, but its limitted ability is well expected in a few threads.
It is not Rudi's amp problem matching with HE60 but HE60's problem.
Anyway, I'll have a plan to match aristaeus to my HE60 soon and let you know how it works in this forum.
wink.gif

I'm now running my HE60 with stax 717 and really enjoy it.

Congratulation and thank you for your honest comment again

The HE60 actually isn't that easy to drive as it is totally transformed by the Blue Hawaii over any of the Stax amps but it needs tubes to balance out some of the midrange colorations. The He90 doesn't need as much power due to the different driver design and because there is more radiating area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, since you brought up 30 years ago, do you remember some of the horrible amps from the 70s? People were absolutely fixated on THD to the point where they were raving about amps that sounded like crap because they were obsessed with statistics
tongue.gif

I hear where you're coming from, but it's just not the world I live in. I'm not an electrical engineer, so in the end, how something is designed has little to no meaning to me. The only thing I care about is the sound on my Omega 2, and the Rudistor is so many times better than the Stax for these cans (though not necessarily for the HE-60) that it is worth every penny to me.

I don't remember anything from the 70's since I wasn't there but I've heard plenty of them.
biggrin.gif
It's also true that many great amps were designed during that period but the mainstream has simply traded the THD wars for a love of overly clinical sound that nobody really likes in the long term. Spec's are good but not THD and freq. response that most people look at.

I'm certainly not an EE (I run out bakery and property companies) but everything is grounded in the design. I can make a good bread out of almost anything but a great one takes a lot of care and knowledge to get right. It's the same with audio and every thing else and I'm very picky about what it good and what isn't. Part of my job really.

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #49 of 66
A Rudistor in the hand is better than a putz in the bush.

Thanks for the pictures earwicker 7.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #50 of 66
Thanks for the picture. It sure looks quite nice!
smily_headphones1.gif

I wont join the amplifier/vendor bashing, as I have very little knowledge about their different technologies and compromises.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #51 of 66
Congratulations, Earwicker!!! It looks like a beautiful amp. I am glad that you enjoy it!

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HE60 actually isn't that easy to drive as it is totally transformed by the Blue Hawaii over any of the Stax amps but it needs tubes to balance out some of the midrange colorations. The He90 doesn't need as much power due to the different driver design and because there is more radiating area.

Thanks for comment! Here is my assumptions;
I think all three e-stat cans; HE90, HE60, Omega II have different drivers, and those designers of e-stat amp will consider their amp design adjusted to one of those cans.
(may be two? )
Aristaeus, as inferred by its name, is probably made for HE90 eventhough it has Stax plug...So I think Aristaeus is only suitable for HE90 and I am very concerned about which amp is better with aristaeus, HE60 or OII?

Blue Hawaii, is probably made for OII as main but can drive HE60 and HE90 well. So if someone would drive HE90 or HE60 with Blue Hawaii, they should do tube rollings.

ES-1 is probably made for OII as main and has a lot of options, which includes tube and other adjustment materials.

I think there is no amp satisfying all kind of e-stat cans with full adjustment.
Which do you think is the headphone that the designers most concern about in their amp?

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #53 of 66
I don't think that the above post is necessarily true, as long as amps with multiple jacks have the proper bias output assigned to each jack.
One amp might sound better with one type of headphone, but it's not like taking an Orpheus and putting on a Stax adaper and having it run at a lower or larger bias than it was originally designed for.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that the above post is necessarily true, as long as amps with multiple jacks have the proper bias output assigned to each jack.

that's my understanding of it as well.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #55 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
multiple jacks have the proper bias output assigned to each jack.

I do think so
rolleyes.gif

but bias is not only component for adjustment, I mean tunning.
Though one can adjust bias in their amp design, he can't adjust every component to three all headphones.
If a amp designer gains profits in his amp for one headphone, other headphone lose some profits in that amp
because those three headphones show quite different sound and characteristics.

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

I think all three e-stat cans; HE90, HE60, Omega II have different drivers, and those designers of e-stat amp will consider their amp design adjusted to one of those cans.
(may be two? )
Aristaeus, as inferred by its name, is probably made for HE90 eventhough it has Stax plug...So I think Aristaeus is only suitable for HE90 and I am very concerned about which amp is better with aristaeus, HE60 or OII?

Blue Hawaii, is probably made for OII as main but can drive HE60 and HE90 well. So if someone would drive HE90 or HE60 with Blue Hawaii, they should do tube rollings.

ES-1 is probably made for OII as main and has a lot of options, which includes tube and other adjustment materials.

I think there is no amp satisfying all kind of e-stat cans with full adjustment.
Which do you think is the headphone that the designers most concern about in their amp?

There is no truth to this in any way. It all comes down to the resolution of the headphones and what they can really handle. The SR-007 is simply the best built phone of them all with the most advanced drivers and best earpad design. The drivers are in a solid shell that manages to transfer all vibrations directly to the scull while the SR-Omega can only do this up to a point and the HE's get lost with the limited excursion of their drivers.

Amps like the Aristaeus and the GES (very similar design) sound good with some phones because they aren't resolving enough to expose their flaws. They are filled with cheap capacitors so while they can sound "nice" they aren't as resolving as the direct coupled amps. The Stax tube amps are capacitor coupled and so are the Rudistor units. The ES amps are also partially capacitor coupled as two of the three stages are direct coupled. I'm not trying to make all CC amps sound bad but you always loose resolution in caps no matter how good they are, this is a given fact.

The Blue Hawaii simply has more resolution then any one of the capacitor coupled amps as it is completely direct coupled and it has a large current source so when the phones need current instead of voltage in the high and low frequencies it can deliver just that. Truth be told the CCS/PSU are a bit small for the demands of the SR-007 so I'm going to fix that with my next amp.

All of this only looks at the amp section but the PSU is really the more important part as if it is undersized it will cripple a good amp design. Rule of thumb with the PSU's is they can never be too big.

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #57 of 66
Quote:

(may be two? )

In general (I have not heard every amp with every phone) I disagree with your post. Also, having heard the ES-1 with several phones, including the ones you mentioned. I know it does not hold true with that amp.

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Amps like the Aristaeus and the GES (very similar design) sound good with some phones because they aren't resolving enough to expose their flaws. They are filled with cheap capacitors so while they can sound "nice" they aren't as resolving as the direct coupled amps. The Stax tube amps are capacitor coupled and so are the Rudistor units.

All of this only looks at the amp section but the PSU is really the more important part as if it is undersized it will cripple a good amp design. Rule of thumb with the PSU's is they can never be too big.

Thanks for your professional comments.
I learned a lot from your comment!
biggrin.gif

So you mean Stax tube amp is better than Aristaeus if in sole resolving capacity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general (I have not heard every amp with every phone) I disagree with your post. Also, having heard the ES-1 with several phones, including the ones you mentioned. I know it does not hold true with that amp.

I wrote wrong post. that was a just assumption of mine.
I know hearing one's own ear is the best solution for eachbody.
But there are so few those best amps in the world, To imagine those amp's matching is the only way I can do now.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Thanks for your professional comments.
I learned a lot from your comment!
biggrin.gif

So you mean Stax tube amp is better than Aristaeus if in sole resolving capacity?

No, not at all is the Stax amp better. The Aristaeus is a much better design then anything Stax has put out (except the mythical T2 perhaps) and it is much better built as well.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #60 of 66
Quote:

The Blue Hawaii simply has more resolution then any one of the capacitor coupled amps

I'm confused now... in an earlier post you stated that the problem with the non-Gilmore amps is that they are too clinical, but now you are stating that one of the strengths of a Gilmore amp is that it is more resolving, which is a big (if not the biggest) part of the clinical sound.

confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back