Rudistor Egmont Signature is here!
Feb 21, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trouble is: Who wants a Stax amp?
eek.gif

Well, as I said, they're good for the HE-60, so I'm assuming they're also good for some other 'stats. Plus, I'll probably sell for a pretty reasonable price.

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

eek.gif

The Stax amps benefit considerably from tube rolling as well, and a lot of people seem not to bother because it involves removing the case so it's a bit of a hassle.

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

eek.gif

I would take just about any Stax amp over the Rudistor stuff.

The sad part is that the electrostatic amp market is worse off now then years ago with manufacturers offering inferior amps at higher prices and it will only get worse.

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The sad part is that the electrostatic amp market is worse off now then years ago with manufacturers offering inferior amps at higher prices and it will only get worse.

I bought the Egmont classic to replace the HEV70 for my HE60.
I choose Rudistor because I liked his other amps (NX33 and RPX-100).
I bought the O2 later and use the Egmont Classic to power it. I like it a lot with the tubes I mentioned.
Now you call Rudi's amps "stuff" and say you'd prefer "any Stax amp" over this "stuff".
That sounds pretty unfriendly and derogative and stuff....
Why is that?

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Well, let me start off by saying that I have a huge amount of respect for Spritzer; he's been extremely helpful whenever I've had questions about anything electrostatic. His depth of knowledge is impressive and I consider him one of the "go-to guys" on Head-Fi.

That being said, I think he might fall into the "Kevin Gilmore is the only person on earth who knows how to make amps" camp and therefor be a tad bit prejudiced against Rudi's stuff
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #40 of 66
Congratulations!

Enjoy your new toy.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what this hobby is all about. Christmas in February.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, let me start off by saying that I have a huge amount of respect for Spritzer; he's been extremely helpful whenever I've had questions about anything electrostatic. His depth of knowledge is impressive and I consider him one of the "go-to guys" on Head-Fi.

That being said, I think he might fall into the "Kevin Gilmore is the only person on earth who knows how to make amps" camp and therefor be a tad bit prejudiced against Rudi's stuff
wink.gif

I do have tremendous respect for KG but there is simply a right way to do things and a wrong way. This has been mostly lost in the last 30 years as there haven't been any new substantial innovations in hi-fi so everybody claims to have invented something when it is just one new way to break the same egg, while claiming it was the next big thing. All good, qualified designers know that we are dealing with compromises as a good design costs so much to make but many manufacturers are simply selling highly compromised designs but labeling them high end with the price tag to match. 6SN7 will never, ever be a good power tube for an electrostatic amp no matter how you spin it. It's also a simple fact that an amp using EL34's isn't the same as the next amp also using EL34's.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some listening to the HE-60 on the Rudistor last night. There wasn't a huge amount of difference between the performance with the Stax amp, and to be honest, I think they sounded a little bit better on the Stax. The bass improves somewhat with the Rudistor, but the treble becomes a bit too much, almost like the GS-1000. This may be a good thing for some people who are fond of that sound, but not for me. I think this is evidence that the Stax amp isn't necessarily a bad amp, it's just the absolute wrong amp for the Omega 2reaction and really enjoy the way it makes them sound.

Very honest and helpful comment about HE60's amp matching I've been looking for..
I totally agree with your opinion.
So long time I've searched HE60 amp matching in this forum, and finally concluded that HE60 has a limitted ability of upgrading their potential in matching amp.
As many people knows, HE60 is very easy to drive.
Someone in this forum insisted that even HE60 matching with ES-1 is not far more upgrade than his matching experience with 717. Foremore, A friend of mine has purchased KGSS recently and said to me that matching with KGSS is good for O2 but not as good for HE60 as beeing matched with 007t for his ear.
Because HE60 is not popular in electrostatic users, There are few information about its amp matching, but its limitted ability is well expected in a few threads.
It is not Rudi's amp problem matching with HE60 but HE60's problem.
Anyway, I'll have a plan to match aristaeus to my HE60 soon and let you know how it works in this forum.
wink.gif

I'm now running my HE60 with stax 717 and really enjoy it.

Congratulation and thank you for your honest comment again

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

I do have tremendous respect for KG but there is simply a right way to do things and a wrong way. This has been mostly lost in the last 30 years as there haven't been any new substantial innovations in hi-fi so everybody claims to have invented something when it is just one new way to break the same egg, while claiming it was the next big thing. All good, qualified designers know that we are dealing with compromises as a good design costs so much to make but many manufacturers are simply selling highly compromised designs but labeling them high end with the price tag to match. 6SN7 will never, ever be a good power tube for an electrostatic amp no matter how you spin it. It's also a simple fact that an amp using EL34's isn't the same as the next amp also using EL34's.

Well, since you brought up 30 years ago, do you remember some of the horrible amps from the 70s? People were absolutely fixated on THD to the point where they were raving about amps that sounded like crap because they were obsessed with statistics
tongue.gif

I hear where you're coming from, but it's just not the world I live in. I'm not an electrical engineer, so in the end, how something is designed has little to no meaning to me. The only thing I care about is the sound on my Omega 2, and the Rudistor is so many times better than the Stax for these cans (though not necessarily for the HE-60) that it is worth every penny to me.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #45 of 66
Here's a couple of poor pics... the lighting wasn't that great, so there is a lot of reflection going on. Hopefully you can see how beautiful it is. I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow.

dscn0101yb3.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back