Rubber Bands ?!
Mar 15, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #47 of 62
You planning on taking your rig to a rave H20?

A little like ender said, I listen a lot laying down with no lights on late at night, the added glow would be pretty cool. :normal_smile :

But yes, raving is an option. :wink: "ping"

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #48 of 62
I read somewhere that the SQ changes if one uses more expensive negative ion silicone bands over cheap rubber bands. Is this true?

Just kidding. I couldn't resist. I could easily imagine some audiophile snake oil product making this claim :wink:

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:
I read somewhere that the SQ changes if one uses more expensive negative ion silicone bands over cheap rubber bands. Is this true?
Just kidding. I couldn't resist. I could easily imagine some audiophile snake oil product making this claim
wink.gif

blink.gif
tell us how you really feel...

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Har har, that's just silly.  As long as you properly burn-in the rubber bands, they'll sound great.  There's no need for fancy bands just yet, so save your money until you find a good deal on ones that have continuous cast silicone and silver silkscreening.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Har har, that's just silly.  As long as you properly burn-in the rubber bands, they'll sound great.  There's no need for fancy bands just yet, so save your money until you find a good deal on ones that have continuous cast silicone and silver silkscreening.

Oh, come on. Burn in is a myth. Show me an ABX between fresh from the box crappy rubber bands and burned in rubber bands. Nothing can make crap rubber bands any better. It will however, enourmously benefit your high quality bands (which any REAL audiophile already owns, of course) as long as you use balanced neg-ion bands with proper spacers.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #52 of 62
I find that if I place my bands in my master chair in the listening room and play side 2 of led zepplin 4 at 78% volume for 4 days and 21 hours that those bands really make my portable amps sound so much cleaner and punchier.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:
I find that if I place my bands in my master chair in the listening room and play side 2 of led zepplin 4 at 78% volume for 4 days and 21 hours that those bands really make my portable amps sound so much cleaner and punchier.

Oh, COME ON. Everyone knows the scientifically sound method is to use 83.549% for 3 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes, 35 and a quarter seconds. God, some people just don't understand proper rubber band techniques these days.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, come on. Burn in is a myth. Show me an ABX between fresh from the box crappy rubber bands and burned in rubber bands. Nothing can make crap rubber bands any better. It will however, enourmously benefit your high quality bands (which any REAL audiophile already owns, of course) as long as you use balanced neg-ion bands with proper spacers.

I'd have to disagree there.  While it will not make a night-and-day change, rubber bands are still devices that undergo mechanical stresses.  And like any such part, it will be susceptible to repeated stress via burn-in over time.  So rather than go off on a crazy hunt for different headphones, amps, dacs, cables etc. that might sound better - you should always begin with proper band burn-in first.  Even if they're of the more budget variety.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #55 of 62
Oh, COME ON. Everyone knows the scientifically sound method is to use 83.549% for 3 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes, 35 and a quarter seconds. God, some people just don't understand proper rubber band techniques these days.

Oh you are using the wrong listening distance of 10.245 feet, it should be 12.7748. Please apply those corrections and retest.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #56 of 62

Yeah. But what about silicone vs natural rubber bands? Surely the different elasticity properties would indicate a different burn-in time?

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #57 of 62
Quote:
Yeah. But what about silicone vs natural rubber bands? Surely the different elasticity properties would indicate a different burn-in time?

Natural Rubber Bands - Rookie 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Natural? Seriously? Nature has no place in Head-Fi. Excuse me while I plug my amp into this tree and shove a stick in my ear.

Quote:
Oh you are using the wrong listening distance of 10.245 feet, it should be 12.7748. Please apply those corrections and retest.

I'm sorry, but 12.7748 is only useful if you are within .254 miles of the equator. Anywhere else, 10.245 is obviously the way to go.

Aug 10, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #59 of 62
I have an idea.
If you guys have a sewing machine (or you can do it by hand) and buy this and make a custom carry case
to wear with the belt.

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Sp%C3%A4nnrem/Pr351281000

or a combination with both

Elastic band for trousers

I´m sure you guys can find those very cheap in US.

Since I live in Sweden, everything is so hard to get and to order things from abroad, the shipment will cost a lot.
So DIY is the choice to be. (An excuse for my self when I´m not rich) haha

Unfortunately my tin amps is not working properly. Maybe later I can just make one to show you guys what I mean,
it shouldn´t be so hard.

Updated A few hours later:

I only had that "luggage band" at home, so I did a try.

I use Cable tie to set the Sansa Clip Zip together with the amp.
Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-Cable-Winder-Tie-Band-Marker-Strap-Wire-Organizer-for-PC-Laptop-Dell-Acer-HP-/261045888987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cc78c27db
I designed it so it won´t scrap the tin when it´s together.

I think it would be so much easier to make if I had some elastic band. But I´m pretty satisfied with the result, it´s super sturdy.
biggrin.gif

It´s a shame that my amp doesn´t work. Hope I can find someone who can fix it in the future.

Hope you guys like it, I just did it for you folks in Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back