RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Sep 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #1,114 of 1,220
have been using a 2nd hand P51 for a few months now..around 400-500hrs.  paired with my ipod, it is amazing. much improvement in clarity, separation, and details. cant say the same when i pair it with my sansa fuze though..any suggestions on how to make it work? 

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #1,115 of 1,220

[size=medium]
Hi head-fi!

Just wanted to ask this question since I'm planning to get an amp either from RSA or iBasso.

The question is, if my source is already powerful enough to drive my IEMs (JH16s) should I still amp it?

Would I notice any discernible difference from them versus my unamped set-up?

My potential amps are:

1. RSA Shadow
2. RSA Protector
3. iBasso D10
4. iBasso Toucan

and my set-up is:

COWON J3 + JH 16 Pro

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thank you all so much!

[/size]

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,116 of 1,220
Good question. So many opinions and then there are your ears of course. Do you want to go balanced or single ended? You can get a great balanced cable from Whiplash Audio in Twag cable. Or it can be single ended. Or have an adapter made and you can have your balanced cable for either balanced or SE. 

As to which is best depends upon application and again personal preference. I have talked with some and read comments that some feel balanced isn't better than SE. I think it is but again, that is my opinion. So if balanced you have the Protector and the Toucan. They both do a great job. The sound is a little different so that is where your preference comes in. What do you like from music? Do you want a closer sound or a little more distant sound? And will any of this change what you are already hearing? I can't say. It will sound different but better is up to you. I realize that the opinions here can help guide so often, what you are really looking for can help with giving an opinion. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #1,118 of 1,220
I personally wouldn't want to amp a headphone output, due to the fact that you'd be double amping. You are amping once from your J3, and taking that amplified sound and amping again with your portable amp. This way, you will not be getting a clear signal from your source's DAC to your portable amp. You might hear a little difference from the portable amp's flavor and get more power, but it will still be the J3's sound. I'd reccomend buying an ipod and hooking it up with a line out dock to a portable amp, so you get a clear signal from the source's DAC to the amp. hope this helps.

Quote:

Hi head-fi!

Just wanted to ask this question since I'm planning to get an amp either from RSA or iBasso.

The question is, if my source is already powerful enough to drive my IEMs (JH16s) should I still amp it?

Would I notice any discernible difference from them versus my unamped set-up?

My potential amps are:

1. RSA Shadow
2. RSA Protector
3. iBasso D10
4. iBasso Toucan

and my set-up is:

COWON J3 + JH 16 Pro

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #1,119 of 1,220
I agree, I didn't know it was a phone out. A line out, that bypasses the internal amp is the only way I would amp. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #1,123 of 1,220
I was also thinking the same thing however I was looking at the Stepdance to pair with the J3.  Correct me if I am wrong but amps will have a very high impedance which should give a flatter frequency repsonse out of a dap's ho.

Even when you are amping the signal from an ipod or other analog line out you are still relying on the dac from that device.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,124 of 1,220
Anyone have both the nuforce HDP and P-51? 
Comparisons would be appreciated.  Just love the P-51. Open, clear, transparent and liquid midrange.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #1,125 of 1,220

Quote:
Anyone have both the nuforce HDP and P-51? 
Comparisons would be appreciated.  Just love the P-51. Open, clear, transparent and liquid midrange.

Answered cross-post in the HDP thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back