RSA MUSTANG P-51 . little amp BIG sound . image 1, 28, 30, 55, 59, 61 Reviews, 30, 34 . Post images . Monitors pg 1
Oct 22, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #31 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aluren,

Lets put it this way.... I just placed an order.

I think a little further explanation might be needed...

Oct 22, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #32 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I had to get more information. I envy those who got to see and listen to the new amp.

The gain settings are, 2, 6 and 11, with a switch on board accessed from top, lithium ion, 60 hours of playback, 250mA output for each channel. The size is 1/2 inch shorter than the TH. There are two 50uf caps one for the + and -, which means your real reserve is in the battery. 200 units for Christmas with a special price below the $375 that it will sell for.

Most all of the colors you have seen on Ray's site. This is fun stuff!

Hawk is cheaper?

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #33 of 1,220
I really liked this amp and from first listen told Ray that I wanted to be one of the first people on the list for this thing.

I preferred it over iQube and many other amps for its musicality. It doesn't seem as warm as the other RSA stuff and doesn't hide imperfections in the music, which I prefer. (Please do keep in mind that I heard a prototype). I heard it with IEM's and full sized headphones, both sounded very nice and the size was VERY attractive to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the Pico - just liked this a bit more. YMMV

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #34 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just don't see this as being any more portable than the Tomahawk I own and I don't have any headphones that require a gain of 11. Unless the sound quality is out of the park better than the Tomahawk I don't see any reason for me to change.

Well gotta agree with your first line there. Seriously, 0.5" shorter than the Tomahawk doesn't make it more portable if it's still the same thickness.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #35 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well gotta agree with your first line there. Seriously, 0.5" shorter than the Tomahawk doesn't make it more portable if it's still the same thickness.

When you find a high quality volume control that is flat & thin, as much as possible matched in starting point, value acuracy & tracking, yet slim & trim as you wish then please e-mail me. The only slim ones are the once with turn wheel & they are craps, I have ordered every possible one in the market & they turned to be nothing short of dissapointment. All of them, one channel starts way before the other & the sound stage allways is way off from the center. Please don't tell me who uses what as I do not want to get into that.
Ray smauels

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #36 of 1,220
I do not know how good Alps potentiometers are but if they are good, how about the RK097/098. Or even the RK09K/D? All these potentiometers are less than 10mm when put horizontally. I don't see how much of an affect wires would do to connect the board to the "floating" legs of these potentiometers if they were to be attached horizontally.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #37 of 1,220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know how good Alps potentiometers are but if they are good, how about the RK097/098. Or even the RK09K/D? All these potentiometers are less than 10mm when put horizontally. I don't see how much of an affect wires would do to connect the board to the "floating" legs of these potentiometers if they were to be attached horizontally.

What do you think I use?
In fact the top of the alps volume control touches the inner top of the chassis.
Ray smauels.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #38 of 1,220
For those interested in a size comparison, here a a couple of pics showing the SR71A, Predator, Tomahawk, and the Mustang. I told Ray that his amps were getting so small, we were going to need locator chips in order not to lose them
ksc75smile.gif

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #40 of 1,220
Pssh... I have had a few Alps pots that had the same tracking problems, not to mention the occasional noisy one....

If you can find it, drop in a Noble Pot as a replacement for an ALPs blue velvet.

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #41 of 1,220
hmmm interesting I am starting to lean toward this as a second portable amp; I dont mind the size so its this or the SR71A I use a pelican case anyway not my pocket; ive got my pico for that if needed

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #42 of 1,220
I think once this amp gets out into some hands people will realize how small it is. I mean I haven't seen it or touched it but trying to imagine it, well all I can do is wait. I look forward to future meet impressions.

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #43 of 1,220
I mean this is really cool and all but I think my tomahawk is small enough already so whenever I am done with that I will upgrade but I am in absolutely no rush since I doubt it will have a better sq

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #44 of 1,220
Sure there is no reason to just run out and buy something else. I agree with this. I do enjoy the hobby and the fun it brings to listening to music. Look how many of us drop notes in these threads and correspond in that way on our thoughts and perceptions. Great stuff. :^)

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #45 of 1,220
The whole beauty of the Tomahawk is it's portability- going away on a 2 month road trip?? Throw in 2 new AAA's and you have no amp/power worries. I am sure this new amp will have a very nice RSA sound, but personally i avoid built in rechargeables, purely because of the fact that if i'm camping on a beach miles away from civilization, as long as i have a bag of batteries, my means of listening to music is always available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back